• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

League of Denial

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't but will check back here to hear any cliff notes from someone who did.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't watched it yet but I intend to. Currently I feel like if you need a doctor to tell you that slamming your head into someone else at full speed over and over again isn't good for your brain, you're not very intelligent. I am interested in finding out if this documentary changes my opinion on that any.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to the site, and watched some of the interviews, and will watch the others when I get time. They're long, but the one with Steve Young was great, as was Jim Otto (for different reasons). They had a Steeler doctor who raised some questions about the research, but came off as an apologist for the league. Harry Carson was on the other side of the issue, saying he was looking out for the players, but seemed bitter about stuff, in general.

Young said he was mainly worried about RBs and Linemen, and the cumulative effect of 'micro-concussions'. He also talked about his own experiences, there, and the tough-guy culture of the NFL.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got it on my DVR. Will watch this weekend.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of it

I haven't seen it but from reading excerpts from the link I get the jist of it.

Unfortunately, like most things in pro sports, money was at the root of it. Denial at first, which is basically what every major corporation does when charged with something...then when the NFL owners were informed that their treatment of concussed players left a lot of financial exposure...they settled.

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen it but from reading excerpts from the link I get the jist of it.

Unfortunately, like most things in pro sports, money was at the root of it. Denial at first, which is basically what every major corporation does when charged with something...then when the NFL owners were informed that their treatment of concussed players left a lot of financial exposure...they settled.

There is so much more that you are missing out on.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is so much more that you are missing out on.

No doubt...my point is...I've seen enough to know that the league really doesn't want the average Joe to know just how badly their sports heroes were treated...I already knew about the blight of Mike Webster, but reading it again was still difficult.

You may remember Art Shell, HOF...he ended up coaching here in ATL for a while. He used to host a charity golf tournament...I played in it a couple of times...a lot of his celebrities were former NFL players, most from the 70s/80s era...just hanging around those guys @ the 19 hole, you heard a lot of stuff about their playing days that the NFL would probably rather we didn't know.

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt...my point is...I've seen enough to know that the league really doesn't want the average Joe to know just how badly their sports heroes were treated...I already knew about the blight of Mike Webster, but reading it again was still difficult.

You may remember Art Shell, HOF...he ended up coaching here in ATL for a while. He used to host a charity golf tournament...I played in it a couple of times...a lot of his celebrities were former NFL players, most from the 70s/80s era...just hanging around those guys @ the 19 hole, you heard a lot of stuff about their playing days that the NFL would probably rather we didn't know.

I think at least 30 minutes of the 120 was heavily involved around Webster. It was central to the storyline about how the city of Pittsburgh was so significant in the foundation of the modern NFL and the admiration of its players. Seeing Webster stumble to complete a simple sentence is rough. It must have been hell for him in his final years.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think at least 30 minutes of the 120 was heavily involved around Webster. It was central to the storyline about how the city of Pittsburgh was so significant in the foundation of the modern NFL and the admiration of its players. Seeing Webster stumble to complete a simple sentence is rough. It must have been hell for him in his final years.

Webster was really a sympathetic figure...but hearing guys talk about playing games on broken legs, going back into games still seeing stars, at first you want to think these guys were embellishing but I'm more incline to believe them now.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may well be that at some point in the next 10 years high school football as we know it will be banned. Ten years after that the NFL game would look very different because the players coming in wouldn't be as good. Five years after that it wouldn't be on TV any more.

The only possible saving grace is if they discover something identifiable that predisposes some people to CTE. Then if you don't have it you can be cleared to play.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think when The NFL absorbs and gets thru this initial period, which will be costly monetarily, things will go back to "normal". I think the big hits and old style of play will be gone. I think it's mostly gone now. Just thinking back to when I watched it in the late 80's and early 90's this game is quite a bit different. We will realize there is risk, there has always been risk and people will still sacrifice their bodies for glory and fame, people will still buy tickets, and they'll realize football is like everything else. Some people have very bad effects from playing like early dementia etc, and most others are extremely proud and happy to have played.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe if the NFL will still be relevant in 20 years it will do so by combining reality with virtual reality. Players will still perform many of the same movements but they'll be doing it in individual cubicles where they wear 3d glasses and headsets. The final product will in essence be a video game. Going to a game will become like going to a movie theater and imax theaters could even replace stadiums. The $64,000 question is what will happen to the college game that won't have the resources to implement this. As crazy as it sounds they might have to switch to a form of the sport that isn't riskier than other college sports i.e. flag football.

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may well be that at some point in the next 10 years high school football as we know it will be banned. Ten years after that the NFL game would look very different because the players coming in wouldn't be as good. Five years after that it wouldn't be on TV any more.

The only possible saving grace is if they discover something identifiable that predisposes some people to CTE. Then if you don't have it you can be cleared to play.

Good points. I don't rule out breakthroughs with cte detection but for we have to wait until after the person kills himself

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think when The NFL absorbs and gets thru this initial period, which will be costly monetarily, things will go back to "normal". I think the big hits and old style of play will be gone. I think it's mostly gone now. Just thinking back to when I watched it in the late 80's and early 90's this game is quite a bit different. We will realize there is risk, there has always been risk and people will still sacrifice their bodies for glory and fame, people will still buy tickets, and they'll realize football is like everything else. Some people have very bad effects from playing like early dementia etc, and most others are extremely proud and happy to have played.

By settling this suit now for (est. $700 million) essentially crumbs, the NFL headed off a couple billion dollars in payouts I believe.

When I was a kid, boxing was a huge sport and over time, politics of the sport, lack of heavy weight talent, etc. took it's toll and interest dropped off...but it didn't go away...it was reborn in UFC, and MMA...my point here is Americans like violent, hard hitting sports...the NFL fills that void...it's doubtful the sport will change drastically from the new game (hitting wise) they're trying to play right now...the demand, and money is too great.

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Guys are going to lead with their heads with the current armor when it is 3rd and inches. As far as sacrificing their bodies? If that were the end all, this would not be a discussion. It is about sacrificing 20-40 years of their lives in many cases. I really fear for a guy like London Fletcher who is one of those players who will do anything to help his team succeed. It is time for him to step down from this game and hopefully lead a great second half of his life.