• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Last night was a reality check

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the direction of this team, and feel Chip is making some of the necessary moves to build a contender. But some of you talking about 14-2 and Super Bowls hopefully got a wake-up call.

This is a team in transition, which will likely be a 10-6 type of performer this year as the pieces continue to fall into place.

While Bradford may prove to be an upgrade, and the young receivers are promising, the OL looks to be shaky. Peters is losing a step and the guards are clearly journeymen. Better talent will be needed up front for this offense to become elite.

On defense, Alonso looks like a great addition, and the front seven is solid. But...the secondary. It still sucks. Maxwell was paid like a #1 corner and simply isn't one. Thurmond looks like a find at safety but the secondary overall still looks like burnt toast. Again, better talent is needed than what is currently on the roster, period.

Last but not least, we need a kicker. Parkey is either hurt or has lost his confidence or both. His miss last night was no surprise to anyone watching preseason--he has struggled for weeks! He was reportedly wearing some kind of sleeve last night after the game on his leg.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't a sleeve it was a dunce cap.

That catch by Kiko was awesome. Thought that was a touchdown when it left Ryan's hand.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Maxwell will be fine. I know many have seemed to jump off his bandwagon. Someone please give me a list of corners that can cover Julio Jones 1 on 1 and be successful. I am willing the bet the list will be very, very small....2 -3 tops. I personally don't think there is a list. He is an elite receiver.....maybe Revis and Sherman and I am not convinced they could do it either.

Reactions: gb2

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the reality check is this is the NFL, not college, and there are very, very few gimme games. I fully expect the Eagles to be favored about 13 times this year, but you can't just check off a road game with a one point spread as being a sure win.

The good news last night is no significant injuries. Dallas lost Dez, Washington lost DJAX. Indy lost Hilton. If the Eagles stay healthy, its an exciting team, and its better to be playing your best football in December, then September.

11 new starters makes for a little bit of confusion early in the season. Time will tell if they have the goods to be great. We simply don't know yet.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sure was a reality check last night. A lot of new faces preforming worse than the old faces that were here. That is the reality of last night. Time will tell if that is the reality of the season

gb2

I Hate Orange.!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But...the secondary. It still sucks. Maxwell was paid like a #1 corner and simply isn't one. Thurmond looks like a find at safety but the secondary overall still looks like burnt toast.

In all fairness, Julio is a friggin beast. No one in the NFL an guard him.
However, with that being said, why in the hell were they playing 8 yds off the Atlanta receivers all night. On 1 play in the late 3rd, it was like, 3rd and 6, and they STILL gave up 8 yds at the line.
I don't understand coach's and DB's anymore.
Where is Lester Hayes when you need him.?

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, with that being said, why in the hell were they playing 8 yds off the Atlanta receivers all night. On 1 play in the late 3rd, it was like, 3rd and 6, and they STILL gave up 8 yds at the line.

lol. Everyone is so results oriented in their analysis (not just picking on you). If Bryant misses one of those field goals, most would be talking about how brilliantly they played.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, when Maxwell did try to press Julio he whiffed and gave up long pass plays.

We will have to see if he performs better against more ordinary competition, but pretty inauspicious debut for our high-priced free agent corner.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First game of the year, I am remembering how this all goes...

1. After losses, we will have several dozen posters lamenting how horrible the Eagles are and how they will never win, and the franchise is doomed.
2. After wins, there will be about 4 of us here and after a nice ten or so posts, we will move on to next week.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maxwell, I think is a #1 CB. I think it was the scheme which I hope changes from what it was last night. We'll see in a few weeks. If this is really what he is, then we got burned with his signing. But, we need to give it time. Davis is the one who has to answer for the schematics, and this could be his last year here, unless he gets this right. There is no excuse for last night against what most "experts" thought was one of the worst teams in the NFL. Chip is not going to go down the tubes because of Davis (no matter if he is a friend of Urban Meyer).

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no excuse for last night against what most "experts" thought was one of the worst teams in the NFL.

Most experts have the Falcons rated as somewhere between 20-24 in the NFL prior to this week. They have a solid QB and a spectacular WR. They were a one point underdog in this game.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most experts have the Falcons rated as somewhere between 20-24 in the NFL prior to this week. They have a solid QB and a spectacular WR. They were a one point underdog in this game.
The fact that the line was so low had me worried.....that Vegas line should have been 6, it wasn't, the line was SCREAMING Atlanta.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12019835_10206556375860576_129981690339042017_n.jpg

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, got a chuckle out of this

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not overreact. Remember last year when Reid smoked the Patriots. Yeah they were finished.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WIZ has a point. We have to see how they recover. But...I expected them to come out of the chute much stronger than this given the preseason success. They looked like a total mess.