• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LaRussa Hired by......

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when Seattle wouldn't even talk to him even though he was interested in them? Let's see if M's made yet another big mistake.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't stand the guy for his stance holier than thou stance on steroids when he was encouraging steroid use in Oakland and Tacoma. I still think he is the manager version of Pat Gillick, perceived as a baseball genius because he chose jobs that were gold mines that were build by other men that he got credit for.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't stand the guy for his stance holier than thou stance on steroids when he was encouraging steroid use in Oakland and Tacoma. I still think he is the manager version of Pat Gillick, perceived as a baseball genius because he chose jobs that were gold mines that were build by other men that he got credit for.

Not sure I agree. Cards had 62 wins the year before he took over. Ais' had 77 wins the year prior and White Sox had 71 wins prior. Maybe they all were on their respective ways, but I can't believe it was all coincidence with all 3.

Of course I am a Gillick fan as well. :)

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I agree. Cards had 62 wins the year before he took over. Ais' had 77 wins the year prior and White Sox had 71 wins prior. Maybe they all were on their respective ways, but I can't believe it was all coincidence with all 3.

Of course I am a Gillick fan as well. :)

But look at the farm systems of both which is my Gillick comparison. The Mariners, Blue Jays, Orioles and Phillies were all crap but all had nice pieces in place with great young prospects. The A's had an amazing farm system and the Cards had a fellow a young hall of famer and a CY young candidate for years.

His allowing and encouraging steroids is my main issue with him but just like I hate Gillick for his accolades I don't like LaRussa being tossed around as some baseball genius. He's not Chuck Armstrong by any stretch of the imagination but I don't think he is the type of guy you would entrust an organization. Even with my dislike for Gillick he is still a guy you could trust with running an organization.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we as Mariners fans should know best that so called 'Top Farm Systems' mean little. It takes something to turn them all into good major leaguers and even something more to turn them into world champions. I just think it is easier to say after the fact that they were loaded when they developed after the fact compared to say him taking over the best established teams and then winning. I just think there is still a big leap that good developers have to help players with. I'm not even a fan of his, but I see winning wherever he went so he needs to get some credit and that is a good enough resume for me to want him. To me you can make the same argument about Dave Duncan as a pitching coach. He is said to be the guru of pitching coaches but he also had something to work with along the way. But since others before didn't get the same results from players he improved I have to think he is as good as advertised. Who knows.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was that idiot on here who said that he'd rather have Armstrong than LaRussa in an executive role?

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when Seattle wouldn't even talk to him even though he was interested in them? Let's see if M's made yet another big mistake.

Of course they did. They kept it in house because they wanted a bottom line guy as president. The problem with that is everyone in the FO already is a bottom line guy. They needed a baseball guy. A guy like La Russa isn't available every day. And the Mariners didn't even interview him. I'm still pissed over that and it's the reason I haven't bothered with the Mariners this year.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was that idiot on here who said that he'd rather have Armstrong than LaRussa in an executive role?

I would in a heartbeat, I don't like Chuck but would much rather a guy like him be the head of the organization than LaRussa. But as I just stated I personally do not like LaRussa on any level and think his baseball IQ is highly exaggerated.

And Cezero, you aren't one to toss stones about baseball when you know less than my 9 year old neighbor about the sport.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we as Mariners fans should know best that so called 'Top Farm Systems' mean little. It takes something to turn them all into good major leaguers and even something more to turn them into world champions. I just think it is easier to say after the fact that they were loaded when they developed after the fact compared to say him taking over the best established teams and then winning. I just think there is still a big leap that good developers have to help players with. I'm not even a fan of his, but I see winning wherever he went so he needs to get some credit and that is a good enough resume for me to want him. To me you can make the same argument about Dave Duncan as a pitching coach. He is said to be the guru of pitching coaches but he also had something to work with along the way. But since others before didn't get the same results from players he improved I have to think he is as good as advertised. Who knows.

I get what you're saying and I guess it is my personal dislike for both Gillick and LaRussa that I find it rather easy to credit their success because of situations put in place by the previous regime. I agree with the Duncan thing, much like somehow it is always the hitting coach's fault for the Mariners that his hitters can't hit. Coach's at the major league level aren't developers, that is what the minor league system is for. They develop at the risk of losing.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would in a heartbeat, I don't like Chuck but would much rather a guy like him be the head of the organization than LaRussa. But as I just stated I personally do not like LaRussa on any level and think his baseball IQ is highly exaggerated.

And Cezero, you aren't one to toss stones about baseball when you know less than my 9 year old neighbor about the sport.

I guess you're entitled to your opinion but, that's just stupid. LaRussa has 50+ years in the game playing or coaching. Chuck Armstrong was a attorney prior to being the M's president. Give me the Baseball guy any day.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying and I guess it is my personal dislike for both Gillick and LaRussa that I find it rather easy to credit their success because of situations put in place by the previous regime. I agree with the Duncan thing, much like somehow it is always the hitting coach's fault for the Mariners that his hitters can't hit. Coach's at the major league level aren't developers, that is what the minor league system is for. They develop at the risk of losing.

I do the same in basketball with guys like Phil Jackson and Pat Riley.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would have been nice to get a fresh baseball mind in the organization that likley would have wanted some power over baseball decisions. I don't know enough about Kevin mather to have a true opinion but it just seems like they wanted a guy would just stay quiet and answer to Howie.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with you that LaRussa is way overrated but I would take him over chuck no question...

In fact I would take a bowling ball over chuck or any other inanimate object over him.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact I would take a bowling ball over chuck or any other inanimate object over him.

castaway533.jpg

SilverFalco8

TXOD BX 507
Hoopla Cash
$ 87.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
21m interesting #dbacks have hired tony larussa as chief baseball officer. one of smartest baseball people last half century.

I thought he would never go somewhere else besides cardinal nation. I guess i was wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to permanently close the book on this train of thought. LaRussa just gave another direct order to senselessly drill a hitter, this time McCutchen and the entire baseball world has noticed. I have never seen a last place team more reviled than the D-Bags. Don't believe this is true? Watch as the plunkings will persist after Gibby gets fired unless baseball gets the stones to crack down on this.