• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lane Stadium

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it will be updated on top of the new stands lol

It can run atop the East stands. Full length

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Unless something drastically changes, we will not see a major expansion to Lane Stadium until it is time to replace the existing north stands. I'd estimate the original design of the structure was meant to last about 20-30 years before major improvements are needed, meaning 2020. Direct ticket demand, overall athletic demand, and athletic obligations will determine if the existing structure is maintained, replaced in kind, modified, or expanded.

If Tech were to wrap the end zone from East to West, I previously estimated a final seating capacity of the neighborhood of 75,000. An alternate in the planning phase of the South End zone proposed a similar configuration. The picture at the bottom of this post is my quick, modified photo shop version of that design for the North. In this case, Hokie Vision would be relocated to a South End zone Corner (not pictured), where I do not believe it will ever be financially capable of expanding seats.

There are several myths out there about the North End zone. There is no known sinkhole significant enough to prevent work. The existing pitches on the E&W stands are not such that expansion is impossible. A structure equal to the South would not threaten Merryman. Building code upgrades can be worked around by building the new structure just outside the existing (see NC State, UNC, Rutgers, etc. for recent expansions-essentially just the original outside wall separates them).

I think we will ultimately improve and expand the existing steel North End zone structure.

2ms11j6.jpg