• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lane Stadium

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.Should VT take down the North bleachers and add more seating to the North.
2.Should it be like the south or tightly wrap around the East stands?
3.Can they fill the stands if they add on?
Summary

Fill in your thoughts to applicable questions.
Here are mine.

1.Should VT take down the North bleachers and add more seating to the North.
Yes but not yet.
Wrap the East around but keep it close to the field so there isn't a big gap from the curve.
Not until the economy starts to turn around which is why I answered #1 like I did. They should offer more student tickets and move all the students to the new North and overflow into the East.
Summary
Move the scoreboard to above the South to completely mimic the Browns' stadium. This would make capacity closer to 80,000 and an insane atmosphere. Per the Lane Stadium wikipedia site (I know...) the school wouldn't consider another renovation until 2013 which is fast approaching. After the indoor practice facility the stadium might be the next project ESPECIALLY if we are no longer in the ACC.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Should VT take down the North bleachers and add more seating to the North.
Yes - after Spring '12.
Wrap it, but take care so that from a cosmetic standpoint, everything flow / matches nicely. Being a school known for engineering / design, we should have no issues with this part.
OF COURSE - As long as the team is playing up to par like it has been there should be no issues filling seats.
Summary
If expanding the stadium, be sure to design it so as to keep the sound IN the stadium. Do not move the stadium so that it is more of a bowl appearance. This will detract from Lane Stadium and what it is know for - BEING LOUD.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes - after Spring '12.
Wrap it, but take care so that from a cosmetic standpoint, everything flow / matches nicely. Being a school known for engineering / design, we should have no issues with this part.
OF COURSE - As long as the team is playing up to par like it has been there should be no issues filling seats.
Summary
If expanding the stadium, be sure to design it so as to keep the sound IN the stadium. Do not move the stadium so that it is more of a bowl appearance. This will detract from Lane Stadium and what it is know for - BEING LOUD.

As for the design of the stadium, they could make it something similar to Nebraska's endzones but attach into the East and West some how keeping that same steepness. Having some taller stands and the scoreboard above it will really keep the noise in.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would vote for a North Endzone like the South and putting 4 video boards in each corner much like nebraska's stadium. Let the students retain the whole lower section of the North endzone, plus 1 or 2 for upper sections for freshman. (I hated north endzone)

IIRC, South EZ holds about 13,000 and NE holds about 5 (numbers could be off). That is only a net of 8k more seats +suites. We've sold out something like 85 straight and are selling out against FCS schools. If lane is 75,000, I think we still fill it no problem, especially if they allocate 1-2k more seats for students.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes - after Spring '12.
Summary

I present to you....

card00570_fr.jpg

...Derring Hall :L

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HA I like how that picture has 2 VW microbuses in it. That was the design back in the 70s when this picture was taken. The photographer is standing where Robeson Hall now resides.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I raise you one Cassell Coliseum :puke:

Attachments

• 13557609.jpg
    13557609.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 131

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets not forget every cadets favorite dining hall (RIP)

Attachments

• vt2.jpg
    vt2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 143

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like the wrap concept, but IMO the most important thing that needs to be done is moving the band out from the endzone.. either put them up higher or move them all together.. sitting so far away from the field in the north end zone is annoying (better site lines, but not as good of an atmosphere, IMO).. some of the best atmosphere's are places where the student section is 5 yards from an endzone (GT is the one that stands out at the moment)

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like the wrap concept, but IMO the most important thing that needs to be done is moving the band out from the endzone.. either put them up higher or move them all together.. sitting so far away from the field in the north end zone is annoying (better site lines, but not as good of an atmosphere, IMO).. some of the best atmosphere's are places where the student section is 5 yards from an endzone (GT is the one that stands out at the moment)

We can have a Lane Leap!

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Okay, here's the way Lane Hall looked when my great-uncle attended Tech:

lh142.jpeg

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could move the band to the bottom of the South.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In reference to Lane Hall, that looks like a prison yard, haha.

Whatever changes are made, I'd say 80k should be max capacity. I don't think we could fill it if its any more than that.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what it might look like if they were to add on like they did with the other endzone.

Vtlane.jpg

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks cool but there is a lot of unused space between structures.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
looks cool but there is a lot of unused space between structures.

This could be total BS so dont quote me, but this was talked about on another site one time and it was brought up that the building/fire codes wouldnt allow lane to be "horseshoe'd". :noidea:

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could be total BS so dont quote me, but this was talked about on another site one time and it was brought up that the building/fire codes wouldnt allow lane to be "horseshoe'd". :noidea:

The reason they don't connect the structures is because once they are, they have to be up to current code. Simply put, if they would have connected north endzone to east stands, all of the east stands would have to have been brought up to code set in 2000 or whenever the expansion was completed. This is at least how it was explained to me. Not sure what it all meant with the press box/suite expansion though

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weaver has said many times it isn't a wise investment to build a structure similar to the south end zone, because it only adds about 7,500 seats. It would take years to break even based on the additional tickets sales. He also has stated he wants to keep ticket sales in demand and believes more seating may compromise this. So maybe if VT joins the SEC there will be money to throw around and we'll all get the stadium expansion and new scoreboards we dream of.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weaver has said many times it isn't a wise investment to build a structure similar to the south end zone, because it only adds about 7,500 seats. It would take years to break even based on the additional tickets sales. He also has stated he wants to keep ticket sales in demand and believes more seating may compromise this. So maybe if VT joins the SEC there will be money to throw around and we'll all get the stadium expansion and new scoreboards we dream of.

Speaking of scoreboards, Weaver said VT was due to update it's scoreboard in the "next couple of years," last night on Tech Talk Live.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of scoreboards, Weaver said VT was due to update it's scoreboard in the "next couple of years," last night on Tech Talk Live.

I hope we go with some ridiculous Jerry Jones-esque Tron just for the hell of it.