• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers to fire Scott

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I mean is that Scott did not necessarily have a choice in the matter. He had an albatross on his hands, and I imagine that his expectation was to just tolerate it for a year, let the Lakers draft as highly as possible, and then get back to business the next season once the circus had passed.

He definitely had a choice. Scott is just a shitty shitty head coach. Kobe, the roster, use whatever excuse, it doesn't matter. It boils down to the fact that he failed miserably as a coach. Everyone knew the hand he was given so he had no real expectations other than to show basic competency but he couldn't even do that. He was historically bad (continuing his trend from elsewhere) and was openly destructive to process of bridging the gap from Kobe to the younger players by constantly undermining them for 2 years. And then there's the fact that he refused to adapt his coaching to the talent on the rosters, instead forcing round pegs into square holes and blaming his players when it failed because HE was never wrong. It was always someone else's failings or they just needed to play harder. He absolutely earned the firing

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd be in favor of him

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy may be what the Lakers need. Supposedly, he is a genius, would bring the Popovich system of team to the Lakers, and he knows defense AND offense. Luke is probably the favorite but this guy reminds me a lot of a combo of Westhead/Riley and deserves at least an interview. BTW, bar short buss from the interview and allow only Jeanie and Mitch in the room.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy may be what the Lakers need. Supposedly, he is a genius, would bring the Popovich system of team to the Lakers, and he knows defense AND offense. Luke is probably the favorite but this guy reminds me a lot of a combo of Westhead/Riley and deserves at least an interview. BTW, bar short buss from the interview and allow only Jeanie and Mitch in the room.

As much as people have been bashing the Lakers for missing out on Thibs, there are plenty of other coaches that look like they would be a good fit. Perhaps even better than Thibs given the youth on the Lakers roster.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given that rational people had to understand that the Lakers' record would be awful and that Los Angeles was basically playing for the lottery until the Kobe Tour ended, what was the negativity based on? The defense and the soap opera stuff regarding Young and Russell? Why did Scott's history with the Lakers as a player and his (partial) track record of coaching success in other places not grant him the benefit of the doubt?

Every Lakers fan who wanted Byron gone, has their own reasons (the fact that there are so many people with different reasons says a lot, imo.).

For me, I didn't have a problem with some of the way he handled players. I agreed with him wanting players to earn what they get, rather than just have it handed to them. However, often times there didn't seem to be much rhyme or reason as to when or why guys were pulled or benched. Nothing wrong with "tough love" as long as guys know why they are sitting. At one point he said, "the bench has a way of talking to a players butt" or something along those lines. That was fine until it turned out that he was actually expecting the bench to talk to them.

With a young team, especially one that isn't expected to win yet, you pull a guy, coach him up, maybe let him watch for a couple of minutes and then get him right back out there. Instead, he'd pull them and they'd just sit. I can't remember a time where he pulled a guy, talked to him about what he was doing wrong and then put him right back in. Even Phil, who was a notorious rookie hater, would do that occasionally with young guys.

On the defense. When you say that defense is going to be your focus and that you are working on it and talking about it every day, there should be improvement. There was none. They were the exact same team defensively at the end of the season as they were at the start. They were solid on ball defenders, but as soon as the ball started moving, they'd get lost. That means there was no communication. The level of communication required to even be a decent defensive team is a learned thing. No defensive communication means it wasn't being taught or the players weren't listening. Either way, that falls on the coach.

You can ask the other Lakers fans on here. I was solidly in Byron's corner for most of the past 2 seasons. For him to have lost my support, means he done fucked up. :lol:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True TJF12. You were B. Scott's biggest supporter throughout his tenure.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every Lakers fan who wanted Byron gone, has their own reasons (the fact that there are so many people with different reasons says a lot, imo.).

For me, I didn't have a problem with some of the way he handled players. I agreed with him wanting players to earn what they get, rather than just have it handed to them. However, often times there didn't seem to be much rhyme or reason as to when or why guys were pulled or benched. Nothing wrong with "tough love" as long as guys know why they are sitting. At one point he said, "the bench has a way of talking to a players butt" or something along those lines. That was fine until it turned out that he was actually expecting the bench to talk to them.

With a young team, especially one that isn't expected to win yet, you pull a guy, coach him up, maybe let him watch for a couple of minutes and then get him right back out there. Instead, he'd pull them and they'd just sit. I can't remember a time where he pulled a guy, talked to him about what he was doing wrong and then put him right back in. Even Phil, who was a notorious rookie hater, would do that occasionally with young guys.

On the defense. When you say that defense is going to be your focus and that you are working on it and talking about it every day, there should be improvement. There was none. They were the exact same team defensively at the end of the season as they were at the start. They were solid on ball defenders, but as soon as the ball started moving, they'd get lost. That means there was no communication. The level of communication required to even be a decent defensive team is a learned thing. No defensive communication means it wasn't being taught or the players weren't listening. Either way, that falls on the coach.

You can ask the other Lakers fans on here. I was solidly in Byron's corner for most of the past 2 seasons. For him to have lost my support, means he done fucked up. :lol:
You sure were. Nothing wrong with that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Kerr has said that Mitch has received permission from Warriors GM Bob Myers to interview Luke.

Mitch has called Bob and we've told Mitch he's perfectly welcome to talk to Luke as soon as this series is over and we have a little break.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, Luke will be returning home to talk with the Lakers. Just a drive down the highway.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Doug Collins is on the interview list. No old retreads please.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree lakersrule. Especially Doug Collins. Useless as breasts on a bull.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Doug Collins is on the interview list. No old retreads please.

FWIW, he improves teams, especially young teams, every where he's been. His one problem is he gets on everyone's nerves (players, management, etc) by year 4 and is fired. He must be a huge asshole to work with.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short Buss is doing some things that may get him into trouble with his sister as she went on The Herd today and claimed she was not in the loop on the Scott firing. This is not good. Also, the Lakers are going to interview David Blatt and numbnuts Bill Walton has stated he will tell Luke not to take the Lakers job if offered. This is really getting out of hand.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short Buss is doing some things that may get him into trouble with his sister as she went on The Herd today and claimed she was not in the loop on the Scott firing. This is not good. Also, the Lakers are going to interview David Blatt and numbnuts Bill Walton has stated he will tell Luke not to take the Lakers job if offered. This is really getting out of hand.

Bill Walton the ex-celtic imagine that. Giving advise to screw the Lakers.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. He never really had a chance imo. They should have given him 1 more year with the kids in the post-Kobe era.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson and Van Gundy? You've got to be kidding me!

Jackson turned the Warriors around from a team that went 23-43 to eventually 51-31 in his 3rd season.

Van Gundy is a defensive genius and excellent HC.