• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers to fire Scott

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My list, in no particular order, goes like this:

Luuuuuke - Pros: He's only 36 and is considered one of the top up and coming young coaches in the game. He also has learned from some of the best. Phil started grooming him to be a coach when he was still a player with the Lakers and he's been learning under Kerr. He has championship experience as both a player and coach. Considering how young he is and assuming he brings a version of GSW's system, he should make the Lakers attractive to top young FA's. He would be taking over a very young roster and he and the team should be able to learn and grow together.

Cons: He's only 36 and the Lakers run the risk that he may not be ready for prime time.

JVG - Pros: He's a great defensive coach and the Lakers were an abortion on defense this season. We would likely see a big defensive improvement which would lead to a lot more wins. He has a lot of experience, so there really isn't anything that's going to surprise him. He also has a history of getting the most out of his players. He was born in the city that I currently live in. lol

Cons: He hasn't been on the sidelines in a long time, so there's always the chance that he won't be as effective reaching players as he used to be. He's only been able to get a team to the finals once.

Mark Jackson - Pros: Also a defensive minded coach who should also be able to bring about a big improvement on defensive end of the floor. Seems like the players liked playing for him. He turned GSW around. We'll never know if he would have been able to do what Kerr has done because he was gone too soon.

Cons: He is very rigid when it comes to offense and GSW fans all seem to feel that is why he wouldn't have had the success Kerr has had. He could be a Del Harris type coach who is good at getting teams turned around, but not good enough to lead them to a title. He also pissed off and alienated the GSW front office.

Kevin Ollie - Pros: Another bright young coach who many think will be a great coach one day and who should be able to reach young players. Kevin Durant considers him a mentor, so it would likely mean that KD would give very serious consideration to joining the Lakers if they hired him.

Cons: Probably the least ready of the potential candidates to be a head coach in the NBA. He would be a great assistant coach hire by whoever the Lakers do pick.

Ettore Messina - Pros: He's very well respected and is a Popovich protege' which likely means we would see a much more disciplined team than we saw this past season. He knows the game inside out and apparently knows how to teach and get through to players. All things considered, he might provide the best combination of being ready for an HC position and getting through to young players of all of the candidates.

Cons: He's not a "sexy" or "big name" type hire. He's well respected, but not well known, so it's hard to say how attractive he might be to top FA's.

Personally, Luke would be my first choice, but Messina might be the better, more inspired hire. Either way, I don't think the Lakers can really go wrong with hiring any of these guys.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JVG Cons: He's annoying as shit, and stupid too.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, he improves teams, especially young teams, every where he's been. His one problem is he gets on everyone's nerves (players, management, etc) by year 4 and is fired. He must be a huge asshole to work with.

I don't know man. I'm looking at his coaching record and it doesn't scream out significant improvement. Unless the old retread is Popovich, I think it is time to move on from the Collins and JVGs. JVG always struck me as a Lakers hater during his broadcasts. He's the last person I'd want patrolling the sidelines. Give me some Luke, Messina, or Ollie.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. He never really had a chance imo. They should have given him 1 more year with the kids in the post-Kobe era.

i thought his comments a week ago saying clarkson wouldn't play much if his defense didn't improve didn't help byron's case to return as coach. not the kind of thing you want to say to the media days before meetings about your job

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Ollie may be staying at UCONN. He assured one of his players that he will be back next season.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I agree that the top two or Luke and Messina for the reasons that have already been copiously explained.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Lakers will hire Luke and he'll hire Messina as an assistant. That would be killer!!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Russell is going to work with Magic this summer so I expect him to come to camp vastly improved.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good article and I heard the Dan Patrick interview. Byron was right on almost everything he said, but he also showed exactly why he was fired with this quote:

I think some of these guys, when they come into the league, they think they’re entitled, and I thought that’s how he (Russell) felt when he first got with us,” Scott said. “He almost tried to act like he was a veteran, and I tried to make sure that he knew that he wasn’t a veteran, that you have to earn your stripes. So yeah, there were times where I was a little tough on him, just to bring him back down to earth, to let him know that this is not an easy task when you’re in the NBA. That’s the easy part is getting there, the hardest part is staying there, getting better and better. Yeah, I had some tough love for the young man. But, I had a lot of love for him. He was put in some tough situations obviously, but I think he’s going to be a good player.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a tough love approach and considering that Russell came in as a 19 year old kid who had probably never been benched and always been told how great he is, I'm sure he came in feeling a little entitled. But for tough love to work, the player needs to know why he's being benched. In the above quote, he never addresses why he was benched outside of "feeling entitled." He also never said why when he was asked during the season why Russell was benched.

Russell didn't know why he was benched and then, he didn't know why he was re-inserted in the starting lineup.

That's a problem.

It's been talked about a lot less, but Randle got benched at the same time and didn't seem to know why either.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article and I heard the Dan Patrick interview. Byron was right on almost everything he said, but he also showed exactly why he was fired with this quote:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a tough love approach and considering that Russell came in as a 19 year old kid who had probably never been benched and always been told how great he is, I'm sure he came in feeling a little entitled. But for tough love to work, the player needs to know why he's being benched. In the above quote, he never addresses why he was benched outside of "feeling entitled." He also never said why when he was asked during the season why Russell was benched.

Russell didn't know why he was benched and then, he didn't know why he was re-inserted in the starting lineup.

That's a problem.

It's been talked about a lot less, but Randle got benched at the same time and didn't seem to know why either.

A little tough love is fine, but let them know why. Use these instances as teaching moments not as reasons to criticize them in the press. Luke was more complimentary of them in one press conference than Byron was to them all season.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little tough love is fine, but let them know why. Use these instances as teaching moments not as reasons to criticize them in the press. Luke was more complimentary of them in one press conference than Byron was to them all season.

I think Luke will use tough love as well. Tough love is an important part of coaching. The difference is in what a coach does with it.

Under Byron, it was:

Guy makes mistake, coach pulls him from the game and says..."Go have a seat on the bench." After the game, player is asked..."Why were you pulled from the game?" Player responds..."I have no idea. You'll have to ask coach."

What should happen (and what I think will happen with Luke):

Guy makes mistake, coach pulls him from the game and either pulls him aside and says..."This is why I pulled you out. Have a seat and watch for a few minutes, but stay ready because you're going right back in" or has an assistant coach talk to him, or both.