• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

La'el Collins

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he cannot participate in next years and cannot sign this year, and is found not to be involved in murder,
He may be able to get an injunction against the NFL for supplemental draft or other remedy.....

If a team wants to sign him this year, they can. He's restricted by the rookie cap.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now it is possible that Collins will choose to sit out pro football for a year instead of signing a contract as a late-round draft choice or as a 2015 undrafted free agent, which under the NFL's collective bargaining agreement would pay far less than the first-round contract Collins expected. If he chooses that route, he could re-enter the 2016 draft.

Ex-LSU lineman Collins still undrafted as uncertainty swirls - Yahoo Sports

Baton Rouge Police Department told John Kryk of the Toronto Sun that as “of this morning, detectives working the case still have not heard from” Collins or his attorney. (30APR15)

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now it is possible that Collins will choose to sit out pro football for a year instead of signing a contract as a late-round draft choice or as a 2015 undrafted free agent, which under the NFL's collective bargaining agreement would pay far less than the first-round contract Collins expected. If he chooses that route, he could re-enter the 2016 draft.

Ex-LSU lineman Collins still undrafted as uncertainty swirls - Yahoo Sports

Baton Rouge Police Department told John Kryk of the Toronto Sun that as “of this morning, detectives working the case still have not heard from” Collins or his attorney. (30APR15)

Has the NFL changed their stance on this? Shefter reported that the NFL wouldn't let him do that.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has the NFL changed their stance on this? Shefter reported that the NFL wouldn't let him do that.
I think this is another example of people assuming they have done their homework before putting pen to paper.
Much misinformation out there. The fact that he has not gone to police worry's me.
None of this may matter if he has a real problem.....

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His agent was actually smart in telling teams he wouldn't sign his contract if drafted after the 3rd round. With him becoming an UDFA yes he would be limited a bit in how much he can make the first couple of years. He would however be eligible for a big contract after 2 years meaning he could actually make more than even Winston if some team would be willing to do that. Now if the slap him with the ERFA tag then he would still be making pretty low for the 3rd year. The 4th year though the RFA tag is actually a pretty nice contract for him. In 4-years like the contract he would have signed if the team tags him with a 1st round tender then he would still make more money in 4 years than all but 41 players in the league. So he would be considered a high 2nd round pick value wise. This does require him producing for 3 years in the league to get that but it does show he can still make some decent money even in a bad situation. Throw in then instead of getting hit with that 5th year option that most of the 1st round guys would get he can go sign a big contract. In the end he could be the highest paid guy through the first 5 years of this draft. It does require him actually playing at that kind of level but he does stand a chance to actually come out on top in this whole thing.

flyingelvis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can sign as an undrafted free agent but since rookie contracts are scaled based on draft position, he's screwed. Teams have cap space based on this scale, so no one is going to pay him like a 1st round pick.

I don't think sitting out for a year sounds like a great idea. If he is cleared, he's probably going to have to sign cheap.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can sign as an undrafted free agent but since rookie contracts are scaled based on draft position, he's screwed. Teams have cap space based on this scale, so no one is going to pay him like a 1st round pick.

I don't think sitting out for a year sounds like a great idea. If he is cleared, he's probably going to have to sign cheap.

He has no choice. If he sits out a year he is just right back where he is right now as he would have to be an UDFA next year. So all he is doing is delaying his career another year. Like I said though it is in his best interest to go ahead and sign and maybe find that team that instead of giving him the RFA tag will promise him a big contract after two years if he is living up to the hype.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has no choice. If he sits out a year he is just right back where he is right now as he would have to be an UDFA next year. So all he is doing is delaying his career another year. Like I said though it is in his best interest to go ahead and sign and maybe find that team that instead of giving him the RFA tag will promise him a big contract after two years if he is living up to the hype.
Lets just wait and see what the detectives say.....

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As soon as he is cleared.....32 teams will be on his door step.

No doubt teams have inquired with the local PD to determine what the deal is with him. He said he will look to sign with a winner. That knocks out a bunch of teams. If the Pats want him they can get him.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My sentiments.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read and heard.........He will sign a 3 year rookie contract, that's a league rule. The first year will be for the rookie minimum. If he has a great year, he can sign an extension and he can get a signing bonus and guaranteed money.

As one commentator stated..."he not a suspect, but we want to speak with him", is the first step in the process where he becomes a person of interest and then is arrested as the alleged suspect of the crime. Having an attorney and not speaking to the police only makes the police dig a bit deeper into your activities.

None the less, the Patriots have spoken with his agent/attorney and have strongly suggested that if he is innocent, speak with police as soon as possible and don't try to side step anything. If he is cleared, the New England Patriots would be very interested in signing him. (CSN 5/4/2015)

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read and heard.........He will sign a 3 year rookie contract, that's a league rule. The first year will be for the rookie minimum. If he has a great year, he can sign an extension and he can get a signing bonus and guaranteed money.

As one commentator stated..."he not a suspect, but we want to speak with him", is the first step in the process where he becomes a person of interest and then is arrested as the alleged suspect of the crime. Having an attorney and not speaking to the police only makes the police dig a bit deeper into your activities.

None the less, the Patriots have spoken with his agent/attorney and have strongly suggested that if he is innocent, speak with police as soon as possible and don't try to side step anything. If he is cleared, the New England Patriots would be very interested in signing him. (CSN 5/4/2015)

he said he wanted to go to a winner. what better place? Miami? :pound:

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the latest......Panic in the AFC East......

by R.J. White | CBSSports.com

Mon, 04 May 2015 10:45 PM ET

Bills coach Rex Ryan met with undrafted free-agent offensive tackle La'el Collins Monday night in Baton Rouge, FOX 8 New Orleans reports. Collins also has a meeting scheduled with officials of the Dolphins Tuesday, The Advocate reports.
Collins met with police earlier in the day to answer questions in the murder investigation of his former girlfriend. He is still not being considered a suspect by the police.
Collins was considered a potential first-round pick as recently as a week before the draft.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is Rex was not suppose to meet with him. I also thought no teams can actually meet with him. I think the selling point to this kid is "what can you pay me in 2 yrs"? That is when he can rework his deal. Some of these teams might not have the cap space to sign him to the deal he deserves, some might have plenty of room.

I mean, I am just tossing this out. Volly's contract is up this yr? What if you have him come in and play at OG this yr, make the min, and them move to OT next yr. Then we can talk shop after seeing you play OT for a yr, and go from there...IDK...just a thought.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read where he MUST sign a 3 year contract and the amount is standard for undrafted free agents. The only way he can get more money is if his contract is "extended". After year one, the team decides he's worth having on their roster for the next 5 years and offers him a 3 year extension on his contract at $45M. He is still under restriction in years 2 and 3, but he can get a "signing" bonus for the extention. He gets a $14M signing bonus, the amount against the cap is prorated over 5 years and he actually gets 3 years at $11M per.

On the other side, he says NO. I'll play out my contract and become a free agent after 3 years and really strike it rich. Now the team is in a bind. He feigns an injury and misses half a season with a pinky bruise and literally forces the team to deal him.

He can walk into any team's offices and announce he's available and he can have breakfast, lunch or dinner with the entire staff. The NFL cannot restrict anything he does as a free agent. Another kick in the nuts for Goofbell if Collins is cleared.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is Rex was not suppose to meet with him. I also thought no teams can actually meet with him. I think the selling point to this kid is "what can you pay me in 2 yrs"? That is when he can rework his deal. Some of these teams might not have the cap space to sign him to the deal he deserves, some might have plenty of room.

I mean, I am just tossing this out. Volly's contract is up this yr? What if you have him come in and play at OG this yr, make the min, and them move to OT next yr. Then we can talk shop after seeing you play OT for a yr, and go from there...IDK...just a thought.

Why not? He is a UDFA. Anyone can talk and meet with him. Just like anyone could of drafted him.

UDFA contracts are 3-years. After two years it can be renegotiated. which we'll be doing with Malcom Butler after this season if he continues his great play this coming season.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? He is a UDFA. Anyone can talk and meet with him. Just like anyone could of drafted him.

UDFA contracts are 3-years. After two years it can be renegotiated. which we'll be doing with Malcom Butler after this season if he continues his great play this coming season.

His agent was not there. From what I read, that is a no no.