• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobes Game Looking Forward

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe Bryant longevity is mind boggling. In his entire career he has been hurt multiple times but never to this magnitude. All of a sudden he took 2 major injuries. Yet his resiliency is Legendary. The last two injuries have been a big blow to Kobe Bryant. The Achilles is what it is, a career changing injury.

041313-NBA-KOBE-Hospital-PI-AA_20130413162553860_660_320.JPG

Kobe's tweet: "Surgery prep time. Lookin like Mrs Doubtfire with a jerri curl cap lol."

While it wasn't widely reported at the time, he also hyper-extended his left knee in the first half and continued to play. Who knows if this could have contributed. Though it isn't unprecedented (Dominique Wilkins 92'93'), its very unlikely we will see the same Kobe we saw before his initial Achilles. And the fracture of his lateral tibial plateau, though not as serious. Is in fact, pretty serious.

640px-TibPlateauF.PNG

The second injury is what is in focus for me as this pretty much supports his leg. Its going to be very interesting to see what, if any pop he has left. Kobe has said he is willing to change his game, and i dont think he has much of a choice any more.

“There’s different ways I can go,” Bryant said. “Obviously, the easier of the two would be if I could have the same type of explosiveness that I had last year. It makes my game very easy. But if it’s not there, I’m ready to adapt.”

If anybody could do it, its Kobe. But this is the first time i have ever had doubt in my mind as to how good Kobe really can be in the future. No matter what, a shooter has a shooters chance. But honestly, i have no idea what to expect.

I do in fact expect to see a different Kobe Bryant. I just dont know what that will be.

Put on your bullet proof vests guys, this season is going to be a long one.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, you can't plant and move laterally if the lateral Tibial table is broken. He has had a year's rest so we shall see how it all translates into his on-court performance given his age and the sum total of 17-18 years of wear-and-tear in the NBA.

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, you can't plant and move laterally if the lateral Tibial table is broken. He has had a year's rest so we shall see how it all translates into his on-court performance given his age and the sum total of 17-18 years of wear-and-tear in the NBA.

Yeah and if you add the playoff games its something like 21 years.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know enough about it. But we all know that Kobe has been playing with various "nagging injuries" for years, that never got a chance to heal. I'd expect that with all of the time off that he's had, some of those have likely healed.

Retro, you might be able to shed some light. I wonder if those injuries being healed could help compensate for what may be lost from these last 2 injuries?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Tibial table injury, the time off has provided the high likelihood that Kobe will have all of his abilities return to pre-injury state because the tissue is bone that has an inherent greater stress capacity than say cartilage and connective tissue.

With the Achilles Tendon injury, the time off has provided for a completeness in healing meaning there should not be any "weak spots" in the protein structure. But because of his age, the durability and flexibility under load stress will be in question and the likelihood of a return of athletic capabilites to pre-injury state may be of a lower probability.

The tendon injury will have to be a wait-and-see proposition while the bone injury will be a full-go status. Since it is Kobe, the tendon injury could also be a full-go status within the context of his wear-and-tear profile as well as his age. Will there be a deficit in his performance capabilities? Perhaps but Kobe's response to full-blown competition will be the prevailing indicator of his return to pre-inury state capabilities in a 36-year old, 17-year NBA basketball player.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knew you'd have a good idea about it. Thanks retro.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The torn Achilles was such a shame. He had his lift back. Not dropping 35 a game lift, but he hadn't looked and performed that healthy in a long time. He was back dunking on people.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Kobe have a couple of other injuries to his right hand/wrist during the Gasol era (we can say the Gasol era now I guess)? I want to say a ligament injury in his right wrist and a issue with the ring finger tip. Must search internet....

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had that avulsion fracture of the right pinky finger in 2008. Didn't miss a game.

He had the wrist injury before the start of the lockout season. Didn't miss a game.

He won a title with a busted up index finger on his shooting hand. Had to adjust his release. Pretty remarkable.

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did you get the vid to post, i used the utube thing and took out the s and shit didnt work still.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use the youtube thing as well, but just paste the part of the address after the =. There's another way of doing it where it displays differently. Haven't figured that one out yet.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All indications, from Mitch and company raving how good he looks when he's been in El Segundo, from these videos, and from Kobe himself, point to Kobe currently being strong and healthy. And there is still a lot of time before training camps open.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's some more vids

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe, even playing as little as 30 min (due to his age) is going to be a game changer. Add a young, aggressive PF in Randle and a feisty PG in Lin and we have a much better team than most people think.