• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe out 9 months

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't thinking of the revenue aspect for the owner. It would likely be worth it to bring Kobe back even at 15 minutes a game.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't thinking of the revenue aspect for the owner. It would likely be worth it to bring Kobe back even at 15 minutes a game.

I guess the point is that regardless of how things go in the off-season, it's worth having Kobe under contract. He provides value either way. His championship experience makes him valuable to a playoff caliber team and his revenue generating value makes him valuable to a non-playoff caliber team.

In fact, if the Lakers put a playoff caliber team around him, the revenue generated would likely be insane, especially if he plays a big role in getting them to the playoffs.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't lose all his endorsements when he is no longer playing. Popular athletes are still making commercials well past their retirement from professional sports.

:nod:

* see Shaq

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chances are that Kobe will get voted to the All-Star Game even after he retires.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kobe makes it clear that he will retire after next year, I can see him having a similar farewell like Jeter had. Probably not planned like Jeter's, but I can see the away team fans giving him a standing ovation, knowing it will be the last time they will see Kobe play.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really sucks.

I'm a big Kobe fan and hate to see his career ending with injuries.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't lose all his endorsements when he is no longer playing. Popular athletes are still making commercials well past their retirement from professional sports.

There is just no way in hell Kobe is going to walk away - and I'm not saying that's a bad thing - Every player wants to give it their last shot. Can't blame them for that

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kobe makes it clear that he will retire after next year, I can see him having a similar farewell like Jeter had. Probably not planned like Jeter's, but I can see the away team fans giving him a standing ovation, knowing it will be the last time they will see Kobe play.

I think it would or will depend on what his body has to say and what the Lakers have to offer. If the Lakers were to sign a marquee player this summer and suddenly the Lakers did like they did in the year they got Gasol - I can see where he might stay around, but I don't think the Lakers are going to be willing to give him a lot of cash. He would have to settle for much less and a smaller role. It would be a chance for Kobe to be a mentor in the same way Fisher was