• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Knicks could be first team...

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dr Buss knew what he had in Jerry West and didn't let his ego (Jerry Jones, I'm looking at you) get in the way of a superior executive running the day to day and evaluating talent.
Jerry West was an excellent evaluator of talent and the Lakers should have kept him.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you ever hear of Vince Lombardi?

LOL.

Are you suggesting that athletes in the 60s had the same mindset as athletes today? Because They don't. The power structure is completely different.

Also, football is an apples to oranges comparison because there are not guaranteed contracts and individual players don't matter nearly as much as they do in basketball.

One thing @Pastafazul is correct about is that the players have a lot of control in the NBA. What he isn't correct about is the notion that a coach can wrest it back by force.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whats the difference the sport, a coach coaches!

This is all I needed to read from that post to know that you have never played a sport.

The sport makes a lot of difference. Each has a unique set of players and they are coached differently depending on the sport.

Football coaches coach differently than basketball coaches who coach differently than baseball coaches. I once coached with a basketball coach who tried to coach like a football coach...he didn't last long.

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
High school Varsity boys.

My personal philosophy is a defensive emphasis. Demand high effort both physically and mentally on defense, but allow players freedom to make mistakes on offense.

Nothing worse than a player who is scared to make a mistake. Confidence is as important as actual skill in predicting performance, especially for kids. Coaches who jerk kids in and out of the lineup for offensive mistakes tend to have less confident players. I have seen that first hand with some of the not good coaches I have worked with and played for.

A coach can still have high standards without being authoritarian.

i wouldn't know any better, i grew up in an era where you got beat by the coach, and i mean beat, i played for this nut 2 years, he cracked 3 clip boards over my head during that time! if you said anything, then you got beat by your father!

you sound like a good coach, hope you lots of success!

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all I needed to read from that post to know that you have never played a sport.

The sport makes a lot of difference. Each has a unique set of players and they are coached differently depending on the sport.

Football coaches coach differently than basketball coaches who coach differently than baseball coaches. I once coached with a basketball coach who tried to coach like a football coach...he didn't last long.

shut up!!!

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@tlance, on the defensive end, heres' something you can teach the kids. we were tied up with ropes, 25lb sand weight vests, could only shuffle side to side with our feet on the 2- 3 zone, if you crossed over, ropes removed and suicides, we had some dumb somebeaches on team. certain days we did suicides till the cows came home! also we did the 1-3-1, 1- 2 -2, rarely did we play man to man! everything we did was planned out, if you tried to be creative, you got your azz beat! we were not allowed to drink anything till practice was over! we were thrown out of practice before a big game, to come out and beat the suckers...we got sport aide thrown all over us in the locker room..can't make this schitt up!

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@tlance, on the defensive end, heres' something you can teach the kids. we were tied up with ropes, 25lb sand weight vests, could only shuffle side to side with our feet on the 2- 3 zone, if you crossed over, ropes removed and suicides, we had some dumb somebeaches on team. certain days we did suicides till the cows came home! also we did the 1-3-1, 1- 2 -2, rarely did we play man to man! everything we did was planned out, if you tried to be creative, you got your azz beat! we were not allowed to drink anything till practice was over! we were thrown out of practice before a big game, to come out and beat the suckers...we got sport aide thrown all over us in the locker room..can't make this schitt up!

Here is the thing...

You almost have to play man today as a base.

98% of college teams play man. Most of them are a version of pressure man. Our job is more than just winning games, it is teaching character and preparing for college level ball for those good enough. If your players don't know man principles inside and out, we would be doing them a large disservice.

We mix in zone from time to time to change looks, but man is pretty essential today.

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i been thinkin, back to the game.. sorry man, but i don't buy it! you talk the talk real good and that maybe what todays way of coaching for this new generation of self entitlement attitudes requires , BUT, if you don't incorporate the old school way of coaching this game, DONE. at least at the pro level! we already see there is more interest in march madness than in PS NBA!

DUDE . c'mon.. i get it!!! the knick roster is weak, DUH!!! so that means as coach you don't do a little extra to win a game or 2 extra and fight for a PS spot when year after year you can get in with a sub .500 record? instead you throw in the towel nite after nite cause you already know you can't compete vs a better than avg. team? i don't buy it!

ALSO, how the FACK do any of you call fizdale a good coach? if i'm readin correctly, he's travelin bench coach who has 1 year experience coaching an NBA team thats been in PS now for awhile, who did not get past 1st round?

what the...........

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i been thinkin, back to the game.. sorry man, but i don't buy it! you talk the talk real good and that maybe what todays way of coaching for this new generation of self entitlement attitudes requires , BUT, if you don't incorporate the old school way of coaching this game, DONE. at least at the pro level! we already see there is more interest in march madness than in PS NBA!

DUDE . c'mon.. i get it!!! the knick roster is weak, DUH!!! so that means as coach you don't do a little extra to win a game or 2 extra and fight for a PS spot when year after year you can get in with a sub .500 record? instead you throw in the towel nite after nite cause you already know you can't compete vs a better than avg. team? i don't buy it!

ALSO, how the FACK do any of you call fizdale a good coach? if i'm readin correctly, he's travelin bench coach who has 1 year experience coaching an NBA team thats been in PS now for awhile, who did not get past 1st round?

what the...........

Listen man.

Fizz is a good coach. Has full respect of LeBron, and that says a lot because most coaches don't.

My guess is that you will continue to complain all throughout next season because the Knicks will suck then too. Hornacek wasn't the problem. FIzz was coveted by every team with an opening for a reason. He won't be the reason you struggle either.

Start putting blame where blame is due. Jim Dolan and the decision makers in the organization.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen man.

Fizz is a good coach. Has full respect of LeBron, and that says a lot because most coaches don't.

My guess is that you will continue to complain all throughout next season because the Knicks will suck then too. Hornacek wasn't the problem. FIzz was coveted by every team with an opening for a reason. He won't be the reason you struggle either.

Start putting blame where blame is due. Jim Dolan and the decision makers in the organization.

If Jimmy Dolan isn't the worst owner in sports then it's Browns owner Jimmy the jackass Haslam.

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LEBRON????????? Lebron is a PUFF! when "HE" decides??? LISTEN! lebron's physique is a feekin masterpiece for this great game! his mind is of a child! Dolan, i am past that idiot! if i'm coaching the knicks i'm makin sure these guys be in the best physical condition! that would DAM sure respect me! i would incorporate some defenses that would absolutely keep them in game, at same time save the legs for the run on O and end run of game.

you can't continue to tell me that year after year, coach after coach, with different players that the results have been the same! F this, don't get me started!!! free throws??? holy shcitt man , no one would have less than 75%! rebounding??? got dang that lost art of boxing out would be REBORN BABY!!!! PLAYOFFS ????? we talking PLAYOFFS...

NOW, i mite get Spreewelled a few times here and there, but i can handle it!!! clipboards hurt a lot more!!!

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LEBRON????????? Lebron is a PUFF! when "HE" decides??? LISTEN! lebron's physique is a feekin masterpiece for this great game! his mind is of a child! Dolan, i am past that idiot! if i'm coaching the knicks i'm makin sure these guys be in the best physical condition! that would DAM sure respect me! i would incorporate some defenses that would absolutely keep them in game, at same time save the legs for the run on O and end run of game.

you can't continue to tell me that year after year, coach after coach, with different players that the results have been the same! F this, don't get me started!!! free throws??? holy shcitt man , no one would have less than 75%! rebounding??? got dang that lost art of boxing out would be REBORN BABY!!!! PLAYOFFS ????? we talking PLAYOFFS...

NOW, i mite get Spreewelled a few times here and there, but i can handle it!!! clipboards hurt a lot more!!!

Spreewelled. LOL.

If you bust a clipboard over somebody's head they might just finish the job. If not, you AND the player probably get arrested/fired today. Times have changed.

Coaches today don't earn player respect by bullying them. It doesn't work. Coaches earn respect by being effective communicators and working their tails off in the film room.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to go 0-82, i swear... now that would be impressive!
Nah, they'll be at least as good or better than these teams...
1973 76ers (9-73)
2016 76ers (10-72)
1993 Mavericks (11-71)
1998 Nuggets (11-71)
1987 Clippers (12-70)
2010 Nets (12-70)
1994 Mavericks (13-69)
2005 Hawks (13-69)
1983 Rockets (14-68)
1997 Grizzlies (14-68)

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spreewelled. LOL.

If you bust a clipboard over somebody's head they might just finish the job. If not, you AND the player probably get arrested/fired today. Times have changed.

Coaches today don't earn player respect by bullying them. It doesn't work. Coaches earn respect by being effective communicators and working their tails off in the film room.

I was watching a spurs game few years back, POP benched all 5 cause they were playing like Schitt! Next game they came out like gangbusters! You have to give a kick in the azz sometimes, even to the best of them! You cannot coddle them like your approach!

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching a spurs game few years back, POP benched all 5 cause they were playing like Schitt! Next game they came out like gangbusters! You have to give a kick in the azz sometimes, even to the best of them! You cannot coddle them like your approach!

I don't coddle anybody. You are making assumptions.

But I sure as hell don't bully them either. There is a middle ground and Pop is in that. You still need to have high expectations, but you do have to treat players like human beings or they won't respond. That is proven fact.

I was at a coaches clinic years back with Jay Wright. Someone asked him how he responds when a player makes a mistake in a game. He said he always claps for mistakes in games, reassuring he player. On the practice floor is different. But in games you need confident players. Not scared players.

Jay Wright is as good as any coach out there. You look at the best of the best and every level, they have similar philosophy. Yes, they will get on players for perceived lack of effort. That is different. But there is literally nothing to be gained from screaming at a player for missing a shot or making a bad pass. Yet, some coaches still do that.

That is what I mean by offensive freedom. They don't get to do whatever they want, but they do have the freedom to make mistakes without constantly looking over their shoulder and worrying about getting yanked from the game after 1 or 2.

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am not making assumptions.. hey man, this is your bread & butter, you got to lay the law down! you want to move from school to school or do you want the best of the best wanting to play for you, assuming you want to move on from high school ball! in college it is all about tough love . also, you don't know what goes on behind closed doors, wright could be a freak! coach K, dude is got so much built up inside him, he's letting that out somewhere!

you have to be conditioned, you have to have a plan, and it needs to be carried out by your personnel! and i don't care how talented a player is! 2 mice fell into a bowl of cream, 1 gave up and drowned, the other moved his little tiny legs so much he turned that cream into butter and climbed out of that bowl.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@tlance you may have to consider the possibility that you are conversing with someone with brain damage. Possibly from clipboard related head trauma.

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what da hell u talkin bout man, i got all my facilities