• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Kings at Sharks

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown with a good shot lol

1-0

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Muffin makes mistake in the Dzone....surprise

1-1

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overpaid Kopitar, perfect shot with seconds left in the 1st

2-1

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kopistar 2nd goal a fluky one, definitely not worth paying him for

3-1

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Karlsson shoots it in for Shore, not doubt about it

4-1

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid game, so far so good 4 points to start the season

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly hoped they would be 1-1 after two
Also never thought vegas would be 2-0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings looked really great. Like, truly dominant. Really impressed, especially when they had that 3 on 2 and it involved Doughty AND Muzzin. Such a nice change of pace, to see an active defense not trying to play to preserve a 0-0 tie. I hope it continues (And I will also wait to see if maybe SJ is just terrible right now). I don't want to jinx it, but having Quick back is my favorite. Dude is always the real deal.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kopistar 2nd goal a fluky one, definitely not worth paying him for

3-1

I assume this is passive aggression is towards me.

I'm excited for how this team, and Kopitar are playing right now through 2 games. Not even going to lie or front in any way. Hoping sincerely that it's not just because Philly and SJ are terrible this year. Kings look fast and active, and don't appear to have lost any defensive structure.

I'll call it like it is, Kopitar could easily have 4 goals already this year (I was at the first game when he got robbed by Neuvirth, and he had a couple more chances in SJ), so it's great to see him producing. What a difference that makes for this team.

I mean, we can jump right back into this argument, but I just want to ask honestly, how am I the crazy one for seeing that Kopitar scored 17% of his total goal total from last year in one game on Saturday night? He made $10mil last year, and scored 12 goals. That's $834,000 per goal, and somehow I'm crazy for criticizing the guy. At the end of last year I waited like everyone else hoping there was some undisclosed injury that we didn't know about, but there wasn't.

This isn't even a great spot to be in, because I don't want Kopitar not to produce, so that I can say "See I told you so, our team sucks again". That would not be enjoyable for me. However, losing the last 3 years was truly not enjoyable.

Anyways, GKG.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it is more like one of the most consistent, unselfish best two way players the Kings have ever had, has a bad year and its a mistake to pay the guy. So ya, I think your crazy thinking the Kings would be better not paying Kopitar, no doubt about it. No matter what there comes a time when you have to pay certain guys and you need to know who they are. If you never pay anyone you will really never get anyone. Has nothing to do about criticizing him, he had 1 bad season while being thrown in as C after a crappy way to strip his team mate,you believe the Kings shouldn't have paid him....so ya I'm not going to forget that much like I'm not going to forget some wanted HoFer Bernier over Quick.

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because I enjoy and learn from the arena of ideas: 5 months after Kopitar's signing, Stamkos signs for the same 8 years but at $8.5m AAV. Much more team friendly and much less than he's worth.

P.S. Between the McDavid / Draisaitl / Lucic contracts ($27m/year total), the Oilers will have a helluva time getting any better for quite awhile.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because I enjoy and learn from the arena of ideas: 5 months after Kopitar's signing, Stamkos signs for the same 8 years but at $8.5m AAV. Much more team friendly and much less than he's worth.

P.S. Between the McDavid / Draisaitl / Lucic contracts ($27m/year total), the Oilers will have a helluva time getting any better for quite awhile.

You are right in line with my thoughts on Edmonton. McDavid looking good, but that is a truly massive number next year between he and Draisaitl. Throw in Lucic at $6mil/year, Sekera $5.5mil/year, Nugent-Hopkings $6mil/year, and then Russell, Klefbom, and Larsson ALL making at least $4mil/year.

Check out that jump next year for McDavid. He goes from $925,000 to $12,500,000. Edmonton currently has $8million in cap free, which STILL puts them $3.5 million over just with McDavid's cap next year.

upload_2017-10-12_13-48-40.png

This was what I was getting at originally with Kopitar. I've said this the entire time, I don't think Kopitar is bad, I just questioned if he was $10mil/year good. I also threw in Kane and Toews in that original argument this summer, because they too haven't made it out of the first round in 3 years since being signed to those monster $10.5mil/year twin deals. We all know what it takes to win a cup, and it's a LOT of different pieces. You pretty much need 1 or 2 MVPS in each of the 4 series'.

Just to play Devil's Advocate on Stamkos, I know that Florida has lax Income Tax laws, so people have said that Stamkos has a much greater take-home amount (net) on his $8.5mil/year than someone making the same elsewhere. I don't know how drastic that difference is though. But, yes, this would be one example for me, of a guy who eventually signed for a little less to potentially have a more competitive team. Yzerman did let him hit Free Agency, so he was willing to let him walk, but they eventually worked it out.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we get to ignore the Pens and Malkin 9.7, Crosby 8.7, letang 7.6 kessel 6.8....I mean sure not exactly 10m but that's nit picking.

So Stamkos signed for 8.5? that's awesome....when was the last time they won a cup? because you know that should be the end all of what he is worth right? how did they do last season when he cost less? oh that's right they where golfing with the Kings. How about the year before that? oh that's right lost to the Pens who have Crosby/Malkin....the year before that? oh ya the other 2 over paid guys Toews/Kane....

Kings, Pens and hawks have won multiple cups recently and while it takes many pieces to win, all those teams had a few guys that where consistent and always there. Would I like Kopitar to make less, sure but I don't think he is out of the realm of "worth" in the NHL. Sure the Kings might not ever win a cup again and you can blame it on his salary, but they never won a cup without him so there is that as well

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also like to here you all say you would have been happy the Kings let Kopitar walk over 1.5m (the difference between him and Stamkos) and received nothing for him. I then want to hear who the Kings would have signed instead at C and where ever with that 10m. Because that's what your actually saying right?

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue is NOT whether the Kings should have signed Kopitar, of course they should have.
The issue is it was for TOO MUCH $ per year, both for his production and the team against the cap. It is well known Lombardi consistently overpaid and for too long. Absolutely paid too much for Kopitar. That's the point.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get your point, your saying they had a choice to pay Kopitar less like you were in the negotiations or something. I guess since you know for a fact Kopitar wanted to take less but Lombardi forced him into taking more....ok I guess I would be wrong. If he absolutely paid too much for Kopitar you are then ok with Kopitar walking away for nothing.....that's the real point