• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kicking Rocks:

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Points can be made either way though... like those that vaulted up the rankings in April on the back of Vernon Wells. Or those that absolutely sucked in April/May can still have a chance in H2H. How many leagues are out of whack, because three guys at the bottom stop caring in June?

I agree though, for the hard core fantasy baseballer, H2H seems like something's missing. Especially in a one week showdown where it all depends on your pitching matchups.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, an interesting piece. Thanks for sharing.

I've been wrestling with the notion that flags don't fly forever. I'm wondering if it's because "something is missing"?
Seems that this time of year is more of a letdown than a thrilling World Series final!! I can't stop watching/listening to those, yet in 2 finals and a semis at the moment and I was more interested in the playoff chase than the finals.
Is this a H2H phenomena with its inherent problems as the article suggests? (I've got some silly WW players in there for me now too) or is just me? Haha

In Roto, I find (just my opinion) that a lot of it is a math exercise once the season hits the half way point. (not diminishing the hard work put in by Roto players!!!) It just seems that once you know what stats you need, you can go get them....I'm making it sound easier than it is, admittedly :)

I'm curious if anyone else has this letdown at the end?
Maybe it's just the reality of a season ending that I find disturbing?
With only 2 owners left fighting for the title, they are usually too polite and respectful to have any other league talk other than "good luck" "wow, nice night". "Great matchup". I'm not advocating trash talk, just noting the slow down of league activity.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Points can be made either way though... like those that vaulted up the rankings in April on the back of Vernon Wells. Or those that absolutely sucked in April/May can still have a chance in H2H. How many leagues are out of whack, because three guys at the bottom stop caring in June?

I agree though, for the hard core fantasy baseballer, H2H seems like something's missing. Especially in a one week showdown where it all depends on your pitching matchups.

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've been wrestling with the notion that flags don't fly forever. I'm wondering if it's because "something is missing"?
Seems that this time of year is more of a letdown than a thrilling World Series final!! I can't stop watching/listening to those, yet in 2 finals and a semis at the moment and I was more interested in the playoff chase than the finals.
Is this a H2H phenomena with its inherent problems as the article suggests? (I've got some silly WW players in there for me now too) or is just me? Haha

In Roto, I find (just my opinion) that a lot of it is a math exercise once the season hits the half way point. (not diminishing the hard work put in by Roto players!!!) It just seems that once you know what stats you need, you can go get them....I'm making it sound easier than it is, admittedly :)

With only 2 owners left fighting for the title, they are usually too polite and respectful to have any other league talk other than "good luck" "wow, nice night". "Great matchup". I'm not advocating trash talk, just noting the slow down of league activity.

I am a 50/50 mix on how I feel. On one hand, and, especially in respect to this league, I am already missing it. Hell, I did not even know I was still in it and playing, to the point that I made no roster moves or changes for last weeks matchup ( Sorry Rev ). Still, ignorance is no excuse.

I also am feeling nervous/excited/sad about my roto teams, as I still have time to move a spot in a few, but, I also will soon be looking at and enjoying all the free time that the football season gives me.

And, the sleeping till noon on Sundays will be sweet as well. As long as my football loving wife is not yellinig at the screen too loud that is.....

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, it's a letdown. I think part of it is that everyone else in the league that fall out of the playoffs loses interest, and it just doesn't seem to be as much fun. Football also plays into the equation for many. Lately, my interest picks up again on Sunday, when the match is on the line.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, granted, i've got a lot on my plate right now, but case in point: Fuzzy picked up Cueto off the wire. A few weeks back I would have been all over that.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also am feeling nervous/excited/sad about my roto teams, as I still have time to move a spot in a few.

Obviously you're not talking about the one you invited me to join:laugh3:

I'm waiting patiently to pop the cork on the champagne in that one.:yahoo:

After just doing H2H for the past 6 years it was nice to be in a roto league. I think my mindset would have changed some if it were a 12 team league as there was some crazy talent sitting on the waiver wire at times. It was also disappointing in the fact that there were several teams at the bottom who are like 300 innings short and if they bothered to make moves they could have affected the standings. Another team has some dead weight in the lineup and could have improved their hitting but went with the same ol' same ol' in the lineup without change. I'll consider it a victory but when there are teams at the bottom that maybe can't move up much but could move one of the top teams down, and they just don't bother because they can't win (and that's all that matters to them), it takes some of the thrill out of it.

Now if you look at our H2H league and my keeper league, playoff spots went down to the last few weeks. I the guy i'm playing now in my league was in first place in his division going into week 22. He ended up in sixth and had to go through the wild card round. Yes there is a chane that jo blow can sneak in with a team full of players that don't compare to yours and win it all, but isn't that sort of like what real baseball is? (The 2006 Cardinals didn't have the best team but won).

I enjoy them both in their own way I guess, but I think I prefer H2H just for the weekly matchups and smack talk (or polite banter).

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, it's a letdown. I think part of it is that everyone else in the league that fall out of the playoffs loses interest, and it just doesn't seem to be as much fun.

I just graphed transaction quantities for 3 different leagues and it shows exactly this.
There must be a better way. And these are dynasty/keeper leagues where every team plays in the playoffs to determine draft position.
I'm on a mission.........to nowhere in particular hahaha

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just graphed transaction quantities for 3 different leagues and it shows exactly this.
There must be a better way. And these are dynasty/keeper leagues where every team plays in the playoffs to determine draft position.
I'm on a mission.........to nowhere in particular hahaha

The bottom line is most people only play to win and once they know they have no chance of winning they move on to football. Sucks but that's the reality of it.

We used to play for draft position but what happened was the guys getting the first picks were the ones that didn't bother playing in those weeks. That's why we switched to overall record before the playoffs (like in the mbbrl) because almost all teams were in it up until that point, so if your team got a high pick it wasn't because you didn't try....it was because you truely sucked.:L

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bottom line is most people only play to win and once they know they have no chance of winning they move on to football. Sucks but that's the reality of it.

I don't accept it. I want better hahahahahahaha

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just seemed like the writer is venting after having an above average amount of injuries, most teams do not have that many injuries to key players, the rosters are too big...

This isn't H2H football, where 1 or 2 key injuries take out your entire season...

The guy just experienced a heavy injury season...he won't think about it again for another 10 years....I had one of those last year, 1st one in baseball that I just about had 70 percent replaced at one point, maybe ever in 20 years...big deal, it doesn't happen like that....and even real life teams are using guys that didn't start the year on their team..

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in a H2H Roto league. Top 4 made the playoffs. I went into the final week in 2nd playing the guy in 5th. He pulled off a miracle on Sunday to beat me 8-2, to end up tied with me. Since the guy who ended up 3rd was a 1/2 game ahead of us and the tiebreaker was the best record of the final week I was done. Sucks but if I win or tie one more cat in April I make the playoffs, so don't tell me the early weeks don't matter in H2H. Every league is different, part of the fun is figuring out the rules and what players are best for that league.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If this is indeed the normal reality, then what about those of us that would never do this? Does this make us better or special? Is there any cash consideration up for grabs?

The high road is always a sad and lonely one...........