• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Kentucky vs Louisville

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You never know. To be honest part of me believed Cal is clean at UK. Not because of some moral code or altruistic reason, but because he does not need to cheat. Not like UK was not getting top 10 classes prior and dirty or not you know he can recruit. I always laughed at Harrick. He got busted at UCLA. First thing I asked was why? You are at UCLA, you don't need to cheat to get more talent than 90% of your competition.

UK has great history, but come one.. you guys were in the toilet before calipari signed on. I just don't trust the guy. Everywhere he goes he pulls in the best talent and then leaves when the investigations start. I guess only time will tell.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UK has great history, but come one.. you guys were in the toilet before calipari signed on. I just don't trust the guy. Everywhere he goes he pulls in the best talent and then leaves when the investigations start. I guess only time will tell.

Toilet is a big call. Tubby won a title and made final 4. Gillespie didn't work. Calipari replaced him. Sutton didn't work either. Pitino replaced him. UK is one of the blue bloods of CBB. It takes more than a bad coach to bury them. Not dissimilar to OSU football.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone can be buried.. Just ask Michigan football...

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He started guys that he knew were Not eligible. You can not cheat anymore than that. Plus we can talk about your basketball issues and getting caught paying players. It is in the past, but obviously a few black eyes in the history

yeah.. he's gone and suffered the penalties... we're still suffering from that. calipari did all that and got to move on free and clear leaving the other universities to suffer. That's what's wrong.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toilet is a big call. Tubby won a title and made final 4. Gillespie didn't work. Calipari replaced him. Sutton didn't work either. Pitino replaced him. UK is one of the blue bloods of CBB. It takes more than a bad coach to bury them. Not dissimilar to OSU football.

Yeah, but we're talking about Kentucky. You guys went from perenial powerhouse to a team that never finished in the top 25. That's pretty bad for Kentucky.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah.. he's gone and suffered the penalties... we're still suffering from that. calipari did all that and got to move on free and clear leaving the other universities to suffer. That's what's wrong.

He isn't alone. I do agree that coaches should get penalties. Cal definitely deserved them. I won't argue that.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but we're talking about Kentucky. You guys went from perenial powerhouse to a team that never finished in the top 25. That's pretty bad for Kentucky.

Happens to ever team. It's a long history, you are going to find a couple bad seasons from time to time. Great thing about being UK is you are only a coach away from success and they generally get to pick amongst the best candidates. Again, doesn't that sound familiar? OSU looked like it was heading for distaste rafter a poor season and sanctions coming, despite that they pull Meyer. Who was a top coach whose character many people have questioned

Last edited by a moderator:

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He isn't alone. I do agree that coaches should get penalties. Cal definitely deserved them. I won't argue that.

Sorry if I killed to mood. Uk fans should celebrate, your team played a great game and moved on.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry if I killed to mood. Uk fans should celebrate, your team played a great game and moved on.

I had a few drinks. I am good. It's OK to discuss the ugly at times.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Calipari will take a shot at the NBA before long. He gets a lot of shit for being "dirty" "snake oil salesman" etc...but he's a good player's coach with a nice resume of wins.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Calipari will take a shot at the NBA before long. He gets a lot of shit for being "dirty" "snake oil salesman" etc...but he's a good player's coach with a nice resume of wins.

Guessing the Nets are not taking him back. I think Pitino and Calipari learned their lessons with the first failed attempts. There aren't many jobs bigger in basketball than coaching Kentucky. You win and you are a god. Recruiting is easy, so you generally are better than everyone you play. It's a good gig

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happens to ever team. It's a long history, you are going to find a couple bad seasons from time to time. Great thing about being UK is you are only a coach away from success and they generally get to pick amongst the best candidates. Again, doesn't that sound familiar? OSU looked like it was heading for distaste rafter a poor season and sanctions coming, despite that they pull Meyer. Who was a top coach whose character many people have questioned

I don't really question meyer. What university did he leave with pending sanctions? But you're right, I think there are VERY few truly honest coaches left.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really question meyer. What university did he leave with pending sanctions? But you're right, I think there are VERY few truly honest coaches left.

Meyers issues have been more player control and type of characters he has recruited. Whispers of covering up arrests. He is not a very liked coach outside of OSU circles. Mostly just rumors, but just pointing out the overall similarities. Both school have be known to get a little caught up in their pursuits for championships

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a few drinks. I am good. It's OK to discuss the ugly at times.

I'm still drinking. NOT a good day! Probably why I'm here at 2am yelling at coach C. :)

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meyers issues have been more player control and type of characters he has recruited. Whispers of covering up arrests. He is not a very liked coach outside of OSU circles. Mostly just rumors, but just pointing out the overall similarities.

yeah.. the whole state of Florida is a mess as far as that is concerned. Miami got hit pretty hard, but I'm pretty sure the others are just as guilty.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine. I don't dislike UK.. or the players. I just don't like seeing a cheater succeed. years ago I liked watching Memphis and then as soon as he got in trouble.. AGAIN!! the school was screwed and Calipari got a fresh start. This wasn't his first offense either. I just can't stand the guy. I wanna see him leave college basketball forever. Go to the NBA where nobody cares what happens.

Okay, if you want to dislike Calipari because he left when he did, that's fine, but at least get your shit straight if you're going to talk about what happened at a school you claim to like.

What did Calipari do at UMass other than report to the NCAA that an agent gave Marcus Camby, money, jewelry and hookers? He reported it. Was it shitty that he left when he did? Yeah. But reporting the violations likely kept the NCAA from really dropping the hammer on the program.

What did Calipari do at Memphis other than put a player on the floor that the NCAA clearinghouse had already cleared, and not stay on some bookkeepers ass about making sure that Derrick Roses's brother got billed for his rides on the team charter every time (instead of just most of the time) Was it shitty that he left when he did? Yeah, but I'd like to know what he did (or didn't do) that makes you think he's such a horrible cheater.

You act like he left programs decimated with post season bans, TV bans, scholarship reductions or death penalties. The reality is, none of those penalties were in place, and he left the programs arguably in better shape than when he arrived, (minus some NCAA wins)

So I understand if you think he's a dirtbag for leaving when things looked like they might get bad, but if some asshole where you work fucked up a bunch of shit, and that meant that life was about to get really crappy where you work, and somebody offered you a better job, at a better company for more money, that you wouldn't take it because you'd rather suffer for some mistake that you didn't make? You're a nobler man than I. (or a hypocritical douchebag... I'm not sure which yet)

For the record, I think Calipari's embracing of the one and done model is far worse for basketball than any bullshit from his past that people want to bring up. But of course nobody is going to criticize that now because it looks like it's working, and as long as you win when it matters, people tend to ignore the other stuff.

Congrats to the UK team and Calipari though. They both earned it last night.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this game is over. UK babies are wetting themselves.

MSU will win that game by 20.

Coming from someone who is absolutely terrible at making predictions, let me thank you for managing to be utterly fucking wrong about everything you ever fucking say. It makes being wrong 95% of the time seem not so bad.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guessing the Nets are not taking him back. I think Pitino and Calipari learned their lessons with the first failed attempts. There aren't many jobs bigger in basketball than coaching Kentucky. You win and you are a god. Recruiting is easy, so you generally are better than everyone you play. It's a good gig

The age of the one-and-dones is nearing an end. That does not bode well for programs like Kentucky that thrive on incoming frosh classes. Not that developing players would be detrimental to their program, it just means Coach Cal will lose recruiting battles and there'll be a greater distribution of the nation's top prospects. We'll see how he and Kentucky handle it.

Pitino never seemed like a good fit in the NBA where Calipari does, imo. There's not much of a sample size to judge Cal by. It would have to be an ideal $ituation....perhaps if the Lakers came knocking, maybe the Knicks. I wouldn't see him passing that kind of opportunity up, even for Kentucky basketball.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The age of the one-and-dones is nearing an end. That does not bode well for programs like Kentucky that thrive on incoming frosh classes. Not that developing players would be detrimental to their program, it just means Coach Cal will lose recruiting battles and there'll be a greater distribution of the nation's top prospects. We'll see how he and Kentucky handle it.

Pitino never seemed like a good fit in the NBA where Calipari does, imo. There's not much of a sample size to judge Cal by. It would have to be an ideal $ituation....perhaps if the Lakers came knocking, maybe the Knicks. I wouldn't see him passing that kind of opportunity up, even for Kentucky basketball.

I was merely pointing out that Calipari has been to the NBA and been fired. I still think college is a better job. You have full responsibility for your roster and you will have a talent advantage. The last one bring very important. Cal knows what the NBA is about and how difficult it is to succeed there. He may go back, but it is not something he will go in blindly. That is why I think the pull, maybe less for him than coaches who have not been there.

Cal has embraced talent. It actually takes a bit away from being a fan. Sounds fun, but there is a new starting 5 every year. While I have questioned some on court decisions at times, like the brief attempt to press last night, it is obvious he can coach. He is one of the better developers of guards in the country. Harrison is a prime example. He went from overwhelmed to All-Tourney candidate. He carried his team last night vs an All-American guard. It is funny. It here are Payne threads talking about how great a job Izzo did developing a top 20 player in 4 yrs, but Cal just gets talent and does nothing to develop it.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
68 of uk's 74 points last night were scored by freshman....

better up that 2014 recruiting class, going to need to reload again....