• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ken Holland: The most overrated gm in the NHL

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's hoping for a Rob Ford re-election this fall then.

The potential to watch a cracked out Rob Ford walking down Yonge Street in a Cup parade is almost enough to make me hope the Leafs could win.

Almost.

OK, not really.

He might if he can lure the Bills here before the election :)

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I mostly agree with you, I think "refusal" is the wrong word to use. He has been swinging, but he just keeps striking out. Losing out on both Parise and Suter after Lidstrom retired got the snowball rolling and now free agents simply don't see the Red Wings as an ideal destination anymore.

The way to eliminate that perception is to have a top-4 season and playoff success. This can still happen if the team stays healthy and the young guys take over.

I like that Holland shows loyalty to his players and is a man of his word, but it's a detriment to the future of the franchise when that loyalty results in constantly retaining old anchors that have no chance of progressing the team. Thus, the Holland venom.

Frankly, I wish these spoiled fans who want to murder Holland would be more respectful. He's still a good guy and he's still done a decent job keeping the franchise running pretty well under difficult circumstances.

Detroit was a destination because they won. Now they don't win and Detroit is...well, Detroit.

Can the loyalty. No room for it in sports. The Hawks and Kings were about as loyal as Benedict Arnold to some of their players; they won two Cups each because of it.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might if he can lure the Bills here before the election :)

Not a chance. The sales book (confidential financial data) only went to the prospective buyers last week. Obviously they all need adequate time to review, bidding process, league approval, etc.

And the process to relocate, negotiation of fees, venue, etc. would take way longer than that.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Sharks fan I like this signing. In fact I think they should bring back Darren McCarty while they're at it.

phoenixrising

Shiprock
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha I made this argument before FN collapsed and spent a day arguing with people who still think he's a genius and plucking superstars from obscure corners of the world. Good to see there are some folks who can remove the red-tinted goggles for a minute and ask aloud how a team can spend $16 million a year on Howard, Weiss, Quincey and Cleary.

.....and still made the playoffs.....
noidea.gif

phoenixrising

Shiprock
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit was a destination because they won. Now they don't win and Detroit is...well, Detroit.

Can the loyalty. No room for it in sports. The Hawks and Kings were about as loyal as Benedict Arnold to some of their players; they won two Cups each because of it.

Man that's the truth. Dumping their 'tenders like they were a dime a dozen for instance.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They were a destination because they won, but also because they could outspend. ...until the cap.

Loyalty is one of the things that makes the Red Wings a first class organization. I disagree with "can it", but there must be a threshold.

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I mostly agree with you, I think "refusal" is the wrong word to use. He has been swinging, but he just keeps striking out. Losing out on both Parise and Suter after Lidstrom retired got the snowball rolling and now free agents simply don't see the Red Wings as an ideal destination anymore.

The way to eliminate that perception is to have a top-4 season and playoff success. This can still happen if the team stays healthy and the young guys take over.

I like that Holland shows loyalty to his players and is a man of his word, but it's a detriment to the future of the franchise when that loyalty results in constantly retaining old anchors that have no chance of progressing the team. Thus, the Holland venom.

Frankly, I wish these spoiled fans who want to murder Holland would be more respectful. He's still a good guy and he's still done a decent job keeping the franchise running pretty well under difficult circumstances.
i think holland put all his eggs in one basket with the suter , thinking for sure that he coming here. after he swung and miss he had no plan b

loyalty is good and all but it's pretty useless when the team isn't a cup contender. impact players aren't coming to detroit because of the wings loyalty. they want to go to a team that has a shot to win the cup.

I agree with you that the young guys need to take over but holland is hindering that. there is absolutely no excuse why nyquist started in the AHL last year. i'm sure that move cost the wings at least a few points in the standings, which could have been the difference between playing boston or a more favorable team like pittsburgh in the first round of the playoffs.

and now most likely, jurco will be stuck in the AHL once again due to no roster spots. and signing quincey leaves a guys like sproul and marchenko also stuck in the AHL

I don't fault holland for swinging and missing with the free agents this year as he did appear to aggressively pursue niskanen, boyle, and erhroff. but his overall body of work the last 5 years is the reasons why he has missed out on the top free agent defensman

Maybe, reading between the lines, this means there's no way Cleary is playing more than 9 games this year?

over babcock's dead body

Hmmmm...I feel like maybe there's a certain western PA hockey team that may match up here. Paul Martin, how do you feel about that?

not too high on martin. wings need a right handed defensman, which he isn't. plus he's only got one year left on his contract and he's 33

would rather they go after somebody like myers or yandle. both still younger and have multiple years left on their contract. i suppose mike green would work if the price was right

Last edited by a moderator:

Harry Crack

Best 8 sec's of her life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truth.

And I admit I had been one of those loyal fans defending him, but this Cleary signing is indefensible. My only hope is Jurco has a monster camp and preseason and forces Babcock and Holland to plant Cleary's ass in the pressbox until the inevitable injury opens a spot for him on the ice.

And if anyone wants to see some real venom towards Holland by Red Wings fans, peruse the comments sections of Detroit Red Wings Hockey - MLive.com articles. If this was the 1600's Holland would've been put to death by now.

Awesome !!! Oshkosh in the house !!! Nice to see ya:suds:

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and now apparently Holland is mostly done with moves this offseason

Red Wings no longer searching for free-agent bargains, trade talks have slowed down | MLive.com

The Detroit Red Wings no longer are exploring the free-agent market for bargains, and trade talks have slowed down.

General manager Ken Holland anticipates a quiet summer.

The Red Wings are still hoping to acquire a top-four right-handed shooting defenseman through a trade. And they might sign right wing Daniel Alfredsson next month.

Other than that, their roster is set. They have 14 forwards, seven defensemen and two goaltenders (including restricted free agents Tomas Tatar and Danny DeKeyser) – the same players as last season.

"Had the odd call, but for the most part it's slowed down," Holland said. "It goes slow now for July and August. In past years once (top) free agents are off the market and money is spent things get slow."

"I explored trades through June, couldn't find a fit," Holland said. "Now I sense a quiet three, four, five weeks. In the meantime I'll reach out to some of those (GMs)."

fJKX7Wx.jpg

overpay cleary and quincey and close up shop. sounds about right per the last 5 years

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were a destination because they won, but also because they could outspend. ...until the cap.

Loyalty is one of the things that makes the Red Wings a first class organization. I disagree with "can it", but there must be a threshold.

You have to be very careful with loyalty. GMs need to have the general trust of players in the league in order to sign them...but you can't go giving players "your word" or you'll dig yourself into a hole. I know the Pens were in a bit of a weird situation with that. Letang signed his extension last year (right? last year...I think?) and spent this year without a NTC, but Shero gave him "his word" that he wouldn't trade him before that NTC kicked in. A GM needs to have players trust, but they're also in charge of a business and have to make decisions that are best for the team...so you really can't afford to be doing that.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think holland put all his eggs in one basket with the suter , thinking for sure that he coming here. after he swung and miss he had no plan b

loyalty is good and all but it's pretty useless when the team isn't a cup contender. impact players aren't coming to detroit because of the wings loyalty. they want to go to a team that has a shot to win the cup.

I agree with you that the young guys need to take over but holland is hindering that. there is absolutely no excuse why nyquist started in the AHL last year. i'm sure that move cost the wings at least a few points in the standings, which could have been the difference between playing boston or a more favorable team like pittsburgh in the first round of the playoffs.

and now most likely, jurco will be stuck in the AHL once again due to no roster spots. and signing quincey leaves a guys like sproul and marchenko also stuck in the AHL

I don't fault holland for swinging and missing with the free agents this year as he did appear to aggressively pursue niskanen, boyle, and erhroff. but his overall body of work the last 5 years is the reasons why he has missed out on the top free agent defensman

over babcock's dead body

not too high on martin. wings need a right handed defensman, which he isn't. plus he's only got one year left on his contract and he's 33

would rather they go after somebody like myers or yandle. both still younger and have multiple years left on their contract. i suppose mike green would work if the price was right

Pens still have some niiiiice young defensemen *hands business card* Have your people call my people. Ciao.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is exactly what I have been stating, except with proper capitalization.