• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Keim's thoughts on day 2

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In short it appears Cook is the priority going into tonight and they like him more than Mixon. It also appears RB is the priority over edge rusher and will only go edge if they can't trade up for Cook.

The Washington Redskins landed a defensive lineman who can rush the passer in the first round. That enables them to go in a few directions when the draft resumes Friday night. They would like to address certain positions -- pass-rusher and running back among them.

But after drafting Alabama defensive lineman Jonathan Allen, they don't need to force a pick on a pass-rusher in the second round. But taking one is a definite consideration at some point. Also, with nine picks remaining -- and with a roster that might not need to add 10 draft picks -- they can always trade to get an extra pick Friday. It would enable them to draft another potential higher-end talent. It also could help them add more picks in 2018.

Running backs: The No. 1 target will be Florida State's Dalvin Cook. They met with him at the combine and then hosted him at their facility earlier this month. He’s a first-round talent who fell because of multiple concerns: off-the-field issues, durability and fumbles. But he’s a dynamic back, which is what the Redskins want. However, it's hard to imagine him falling to 49 -- therefore, don't be surprised if they try to move up to get him. It might require them to move to the top of the second round.

Round 1: Thursday, 8 p.m., ESPN/ESPN App
Rds. 2-3: Friday, 7 p.m., ESPN/ESPN App
Rds. 4-7: Saturday, noon, ESPN/ESPN App
Where: Philadelphia

NFL draft home page »

2017 NFL draft order »
Mel Kiper's final Mock Draft »
Todd McShay's final Mock Draft »
McShay's ultimate draft preview »
McShay's final prospect rankings »
Kiper's final Big Board: Top 300 »
Kiper v. McShay: Head-to-head Mock »
McShay's biggest needs for all 32 »
McShay's 2017 All-Satellite Team »

Pass-rushers: If they don't land Cook, then they'll continue the quest for an edge rusher. The Redskins met with Kansas State's Jordan Willis, Villanova'sTanoh Kpassagnon, Alabama's Ryan Anderson and Florida State's DeMarcus Walker. Willis anticipated going in the first round and could come off the board long before the Redskins’ second-round pick. Kpassagnon likely will go somewhere between the middle of the second and middle of the third rounds. Anderson likely will go in the second round; his Alabama teammate, Tim Williams, might have gone already if not for off-field concerns. Walker could be gone before they pick as well. Youngstown State’s Derek Rivers is an intriguing smaller-school prospect in the third round.

Inside linebacker: They’ll look to upgrade if possible, but do have Zach Brown, Mason Foster and Will Compton -- but all are on one-year deals. Vanderbilt’sZach Cunningham is still available and projects as a three-down linebacker. They don’t need to play him every down initially; his best help early would come in nickel or dime packages or just on third down. But he can develop inside and, with their top three inside linebackers possible free agents next offseason, that’s important.

They also met with Ohio State's Raekwon McMillan, but he’s more a two-down linebacker at this point and could develop, but that will push him perhaps into the third round.

Defensive backs: The Redskins hosted UConn safety Obi Melifonwu, but they also have Su’a Cravens and D.J. Swearinger – two young players. Melifonwu is a terrific athlete and more teams are using three safeties in various packages. They also met with University of Washington safety Budda Baker. Again: If they can find someone who helps get them off the field on third down, they’ll consider him.

Of the corners that they are known to have met with, most project to the later rounds. They do have an interest in adding another player here, but could always re-sign Greg Toler after the draft. That would give them their top five corners intact (they could still draft one late as a developmental guy). Washington's Kevin King is the best corner available.

Guard: They met with at least seven guards this offseason. Starting left guardShawn Lauvao has one year remaining on his contract and if they’re uncertain about Arie Kouandjio being his eventual replacement, they need to find another option. It’s a thin draft for linemen, but Western Kentucky's Forrest Lamp and Indiana's Dan Feeney are the best guards available. Lamp likely would be gone before the Redskins are on the clock.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would use a 4rth and a next year 6th to move up

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on who we are planning to move up for. Cook or Mixon likely wont last until 49, but I also like McDowell at that spot. This draft went side ways the moment Trubisky went at #2. After sleeping on it, the league might just self adjust and guys who should be 2nd rounders are actually still there for us. Im thinking RB and D-line are our next targets, but not sure which is more pressing. And some where in there they will want to grab another edge rusher.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting comments about the guards, they don't appear high on Arie which is kind of what I figured. SM's 2 drafts are looking worse by the day.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on who we are planning to move up for. Cook or Mixon likely wont last until 49, but I also like McDowell at that spot. This draft went side ways the moment Trubisky went at #2. After sleeping on it, the league might just self adjust and guys who should be 2nd rounders are actually still there for us. Im thinking RB and D-line are our next targets, but not sure which is more pressing. And some where in there they will want to grab another edge rusher.

I cant see how Dline is a target right now. RB, OLB, and FS should be the targets. Lamp could be a possibility but I think he is gone before 49. Its going to be fun to see if Cook or Mixon slip.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant see how Dline is a target right now. RB, OLB, and FS should be the targets. Lamp could be a possibility but I think he is gone before 49. Its going to be fun to see if Cook or Mixon slip.

D-line is still a target because we drafted one starter in Allen, but the two guys we signed have been rotational guys with health questions. Unless you really think our line is set now.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we get mcdowell tonight I will be ecstatic. Cook or Mixon could be good too. Not sure what a trade up would cost us.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we get mcdowell tonight I will be ecstatic. Cook or Mixon could be good too. Not sure what a trade up would cost us.

31ZLQMd3dPL.jpg

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...I don't think I get it...

Its a Left Nut.

Trades in this draft have been.. rather costly for the team trying to move up. :lol:

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D-line is still a target because we drafted one starter in Allen, but the two guys we signed have been rotational guys with health questions. Unless you really think our line is set now.

Allen, the mac guys, and Lanier. That is four guys at De. We are set now. No way we go dline back to back. NT can be had way later in the draft.

Im leaning towards OLB b/c Tm and JG are FA's next year. Plus We don't know what is going to happen with Smith. So an OLb in the 2nd round will give us good insurance. My opinion is that TM and JG wont be here next year. So we still will have three pass rushers. I like Bowser from Houston

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen, the mac guys, and Lanier. That is four guys at De. We are set now. No way we go dline back to back. NT can be had way later in the draft.

Im leaning towards OLB b/c Tm and JG are FA's next year. Plus We don't know what is going to happen with Smith. So an OLb in the 2nd round will give us good insurance. My opinion is that TM and JG wont be here next year. So we still will have three pass rushers. I like Bowser from Houston

IM not saying you have to take D-line in the 2nd.

But if McDowell is there at 49... unless another 1st round talent guy slides... McDowell might have to be the pick. Going to depend on who is there. Most of the world didnt think Allen would be there. A run on QBs and WRs gave us a gift.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IM not saying you have to take D-line in the 2nd.

But if McDowell is there at 49... unless another 1st round talent guy slides... McDowell might have to be the pick. Going to depend on who is there. Most of the world didnt think Allen would be there. A run on QBs and WRs gave us a gift.

You said you would target a dlineamn in the 2nd along with RB. Hell no to McDowell. Huge boom or bust player. Why wouldn't you want an OLB? that doesn't make sense to me. I take Williams(Bama), Bower, and Willis over McDowell right now.

I could of seen your point if we couldn't get Allen in the 1st round and took Harris the OLb but taking 2 DE back to back doesn't make much sense to me.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a Left Nut.

Trades in this draft have been.. rather costly for the team trying to move up. :lol:

Oh. Lol I'm dumb.

You're probably right though. I just think mcdowell upside is so damn exciting. Like more so than Allens.

RedskinzDan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing to me that some many are ready to move on from Jones because of his fumbling problem only to draft Cook with the same problem. No one seems to care that Cook fumbles, not until we draft him and cost us a few big games. Then everyone will be wishing we drafted Mixon who is running rough shot over us play for the Eagles.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is exactly my line of thinking. Malik and mixon to me are best players available.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing to me that some many are ready to move on from Jones because of his fumbling problem only to draft Cook with the same problem. No one seems to care that Cook fumbles, not until we draft him and cost us a few big games. Then everyone will be wishing we drafted Mixon who is running rough shot over us play for the Eagles.

Admittedly both have had fumbling issues. But having watch both alot (im in the middle of FSU and Florida market) Cook is twice the back Jones ever was. The knock on Mixon is character, Cook also has this knock.. .but to a lesser degree.

I also think Jones is on the block due to non football issues that have nothing to do with him.