• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Karlsson

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt he resigns with the Sens and they end up trading him. My hope is he goes to a rival, he is fun to watch but I wont be that worried about the team that gets him.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a bit biased because I think Karlsson does not fit the definition of the Norris Trophy:

The James Norris Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the defenseman who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position.

The key words there are "greatest all around ability" and Doughty does that; Karlsson does not. Ottawa doesn't put him out there in the waning minutes of a game when they are leading and they do not put him on the PK. Notice the situational denominator there? The ability to play shut down defense.

Doughty does that and while he won't put up 75-80 points, I think his respectable 40-50 is fine for a guy who is the premier shutdown defender in the game. That 40-50 points is gravy, he prevents a lot more goals throughout the course of the year.

Now that I have established my opinions on both guys, I do believe both guys are underpaid but that is the nature of these long contracts, a lot happens between the beginning of the contract and the end. Doughty signed this contract way back on 9/30/11 (8 years/$56 million, $7 million AAV) and Karlsson signed his deal on 6/19/12 (7 years/$45.5 million, $6.5 million AAV). All kinds of crazy has happened since then as we know so they are both due for significant raises.

With Doughty, for all the albatross contracts Dumbo dished out this was not one of them - this was an absolute steal, and Doughty has every right to cash in. The Kings certainly got their value out of this one. Karlsson actually used this as a comp - both are 2008 1st round picks, both were young and on the upswing. In 2010-11 Doughty hit 59 points, Karlsson 45 which explains why Karlsson makes less. In time it was determined that Karlsson is an offensive defenseman where as Doughty is a more complete defenseman.

Subban is the highest paid defender right now (AAV) at $9 million, which was a gross over payment by Nashville but that is now the bar. Add in the obligatory ask for way more settle in the middle amount and I think Doughty will ask for $11 million but settle for $10 or $10.5. Since Karlsson will be in the same discussions he will do the same, although as I said I don't think he is worth that because he's not a complete two way guy. My money would stop with him about $9 million and even then I'm being a bit generous because it is UFA and there is a premium paid to GIII players.

I do like how Dorion is not being passive about this and has asked all Senators for their no trade lists, it means he is business.

Karlsson brought this on himself however when he opened his mouth, especially in the midst of a (now) 10 game losing streak and only registering 1 ppint since November 11 (in the 2 games against LA, he went 0G/1A -5 and lost both games, Doughty went 1G/1A +1 with the GW goal last week). Pretty obvious his focus is on money and not his team. Not a good thing to display considering you are the captain and your team is in a sustained downward spiral.

Interesting situation here is Blake, he was once a franchise defenseman for LA and pulled all the stops trying to leverage them and ultimately left on bad terms; he will get to experience the same scenario from the other side of the desk and I want to see how he responds.

Is it different now that you wear a suit? Or will you be pro player like you were back then with no flexibility for your franchise?

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he gets traded this year. No one will give what Ottawa wants for him without a deal for an extension, and I don't think he can sign a new deal until July 1.
If they trade him now with conditions, (Players and picks are placeholders and are not meant to reflect market value)
Kings give Muffin and kings #1 this year and kings number 1 in 2020 if they resign him
And Ottawa sucks for a few years more
Or wait and get Muzzin, Pearson Iafollo. And have something of immediate value.
Repeating names and picks are just place holders.
Both the Senators and the other team would be taking a huge risks until they know if he would sign and for how much.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he will be traded during the year either unless something drastically changes between now and the Trade Deadline. I do think however depending on how the Senators' season goes, he will be discussed quite a bit next summer. He can sign an extension starting July 1, 2018 or during the season after January 1, 2019 to stay with Ottawa (same with Doughty and LA) as a GIII UFA to be in summer 2019.

I don't think Dorion appreciated the timing of his comments to begin with let alone what was said. Love Karlsson's response in the article, really dude? How else would you expect the media, or anyone, to take it? You're saying you will not accept anything less than what you are worth, "no less" if the quote is accurate.

There really is no other way to take it except "pay me or I am leaving", similar to what Blake said in December 2000 before he was traded in February 2001 - the Kings got some decent returns for him but probably not nearly as much if he hadn't said he will not accept less than $9+ million like Pronger (the Kings' final offer was 5 years/$42.5 million, or $8.5 million a season).

Karlsson confirms he submitted no-trade list - Article - TSN

Based on that comment alone, he has put the Senators in a bind regarding trade value and what they can get in return. Teams will be low balling them or at the very least not offering up top prospects/players or some combination that would have been more if he had kept his mouth shut.

The world knows the Senators either have to pay him or move him. Were I a GM while I would offer a good deal (not that I would, he isn't the type of player I would spend $9+ million on. I have never understood the hype, watching him over the years he is just a highly skilled Steve Duchesne) but I would definitely drag it out and make them blink.