• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just being a realist...........

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions ended up being exactly what many of us thought they were going to be.

Sorry -- after reading so many people throwing out the "realist" comments in the Lions game thread today -- I had to put up a post, as I was lambasted in the offseason as Mr. Negative for voicing my concerns with the team.

Valion78

SportsHoopla Noob
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry -- after reading so many people throwing out the "realist" comments in the Lions game thread today -- I had to put up a post, as I was lambasted in the offseason as Mr. Negative for voicing my concerns with the team.

I was thinking this earlier today. A lot of guys thought this team would be bad. Then we won early and had what should have been an easy road to the playoffs. That went to hell. But on a positive note we do have some players and not as many holes as thought. We get a corner and a safety, probably a wide receiver who knows?
One of the biggest downfalls of our defense is the lack of bringing extra pressure in huge moments. We had the lead in six losses and the defense gave it up in most of them.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had the lead in six losses and the defense gave it up in most of them.

In many of those, the offense actually gave up the lead.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most everyone had them around 500 though and knew they are still a year or 2 from being a serious threat. First step is a new coaching staff and then fill in the holes. At minimum we need an LB a CB and a WR. Make the playoffs and win 1 playoff game in year 1. Year 2 be a serious threat to make the SB. This team has a lot of talent and not every player can be a superstar. It was just grossly mismanaged.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most everyone had them around 500 though and knew they are still a year or 2 from being a serious threat. First step is a new coaching staff and then fill in the holes. At minimum we need an LB a CB and a WR. Make the playoffs and win 1 playoff game in year 1. Year 2 be a serious threat to make the SB. This team has a lot of talent and not every player can be a superstar. It was just grossly mismanaged.

Scary part is $$. I know GM's can always free up money in various ways. There can't be much cap space left?? Those holes get filled in the draft it may take time for some to develope. Does this mean we land leftover FA's? Get the right new HC and maybe some will want to come. Just don't see how players would want this torture.

Seems this draft is deep at WR. CB should top priority then WR and LB.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most everyone had them around 500 though and knew they are still a year or 2 from being a serious threat.

I agree, to a point. Coming into the season -- Detroit was supposed to have an extremely tough schedule. Based on last year's results -- it was the 2nd toughest schedule in the NFL.

I can't find the SOS right now, but last article I read (before the Baltimore game), Detroit had the 2nd easiest schedule in the NFL. Teams like Pittsburgh, Washington, NY Giants, Green Bay, Chicago, Baltimore, etc. etc. all struggled this year.

To be 7-8 with the schedule the Lions played and the talent they have on this team is an utter embarrassment. This season is more frustrating than the 0-16 season. The only thing more embarrassing this year than the play of the Lions is their head coach.

Trent Dilfer said it best -- Detroit can't get out of their own way and continue to throw up all over themselves.

It is just sad to watch this team invent new ways to lose games. I really hate to say it, but this franchise may just be cursed. How else can you explain a team being 7-8 and in 6 of the losses, you were leading in the 4th quarter? If I didn't watch the implosion this year -- I'd say people were joking.

Cincy game: OT is almost certain, as Bengals have no timeouts and all the Lions have to do is punt the ball away. Same Martin hits a 23 yarder and Cincy gains like 15 yards and Detroit loses on a field goal.

Arizona game: Cardinals are 0 for 10 on 3rd down conversions -- Detroit is up by 2 at the end of the 4th. Bill Bentley is flagged for a 36 yard pass interference call to set up the Cardinals go ahead touchdown. Lions lose.

Tampa Bay: Detroit turns the ball over 5 times and Calvin Johnson drops a ball that hits him in the chest and it is intercepted. Lions lose by 3.

Pittsburgh: Lions with a chip shot field goal to go up by 7 in the 4th quarter on the road. Schwartz decides to fake the field goal and put the ball in the hands of Sam Martin. Instead of a 7 point lead -- Pitt goes the length of the field to take the lead and win the game. Lions lose.

Baltimore: 3 of the Baltimore field goals were aided by penalties on the Lions defense on 3rd down plays which extended drives. Justin Tucker kicks the game winning field from 61 yards. Lions lose.

It is sickening -- if it isn't Stafford throwing the game away, it is Bush fumbling the game away. If it isn't Bush fumbling the game away, it is the defense handing out points with dumb penalties. If it isn't the defense, it is the punting game giving a game away. If it isn't the punting game, it is the coach giving the game away.

It is a pick your poison situation for the Lions and not in a good way. It wasn't one play or one player who cost the Lions the best chance at a division crown (which they would have held their own destiny going into week 17, after GB AND Chicago both lost this week) -- It is the entire team from Stafford to Calvin to the secondary, to the special teams. You would think after all the disappointment this team has given fans over the years, it wouldn't hurt this much, but this team is too damn talented to piss away so many games like they have.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust while I agree with your post. CJ's drops killed the Lions against Ravens. You didn't mention that. Not sticking up for Stafford, he has sucked ass. Those drops were killer.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust while I agree with your post. CJ's drops killed the Lions against Ravens. You didn't mention that. Not sticking up for Stafford, he has sucked ass. Those drops were killer.

I agree -- the drops can be listed on just about every game this year, and while Calvin has been great, he has dropped more balls than anyone but Reggie Bush. Dorin Dickerson may still be running if he didn't drop that pass in OT, as there wasn't a Raven within 20 yards of him and he had blockers in front of him.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FIVE 4th quarter meltdowns. Let's get a real coaching staff in here...

10-6 next season.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scary part is $$. I know GM's can always free up money in various ways. There can't be much cap space left?? Those holes get filled in the draft it may take time for some to develope. Does this mean we land leftover FA's? Get the right new HC and maybe some will want to come. Just don't see how players would want this torture.

Seems this draft is deep at WR. CB should top priority then WR and LB.

I agree and there isn't a cap to pay a real HC. Draft a CB in the first round then target WRs and LBs. Find a center somewhere... There's enough talent to push for a wildcard spot next season.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching staff doesn't count against the cap

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But not everyone...there were at least two people who thought they were legitimate super bowl contenders and anyone that said anything negative about the team was ostracized. Yeah, guess all of my realist talk actually came into fruition.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, guess all of my realist talk actually came into fruition.

When the truth is spoken and the facts back it up that is truly "reality".

I cant remember who the guy was that kept saying it was way to early to start talking playoffs with seven games still to play but boy did he hit the nail on the head. Who was that guy? That discussion seems so clear to me??? Hmmm. Oh well, I'm sure it'll come to me later but that "realist" sure got it right didnt he? I do remember that he was a hater, negative, just liked to complain, not a true fan, and that he really disliked cornbread and kool aid.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the truth is spoken and the facts back it up that is truly "reality".

I cant remember who the guy was that kept saying it was way to early to start talking playoffs with seven games still to play but boy did he hit the nail on the head. Who was that guy? That discussion seems so clear to me??? Hmmm. Oh well, I'm sure it'll come to me later but that "realist" sure got it right didnt he? I do remember that he was a hater, negative, just liked to complain, not a true fan, and that he really disliked cornbread and kool aid.

Man the hate piled on me before the eagles game was ridiculous, I said the lions would get smoked and then gave reasons to back up my opinion and was just ridiculed. #realism

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we're all patting ourselves on the back here, I mentioned the elephant in the room, and decided to back down when everybody started talking about how Stafford wasn't the problem.

Reality.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry -- after reading so many people throwing out the "realist" comments in the Lions game thread today -- I had to put up a post, as I was lambasted in the offseason as Mr. Negative for voicing my concerns with the team
Fair enough. But, I do think there is a big difference between talking about the "reality" of what is actually happening than the "reality" of what may have happened last year but the unknown of the upcoming season.

Was the o-line not one of the areas of "reality" and negativity discussed during that time frame? They ended up being a big surprise. Using a 5th rd pick on a punter was another. We had no idea what we were getting there but it was another area of great negativity. I think he was well worth a 5th rounder and it ended up being an area we were much improved in.

I think in your case you were negative on well, just about everything and every part of the team. The offseason probably isnt the best time for that when every other fan is trying to be optimistic about the upcoming season. We had added a lot of new players and just about everything was an unknown. It's not difficult to see why you got lambasted for being negative on the unknown.

Bash the heck out of this team right now, they deserve it. "Reality" is on your side, now its been proven and isnt just pure negative speculation. If the areas you think need improvement arent addressed in the offseason then "reality" remains on your side. You are using the facts as the source of your positon. IMO, its that simple and without that you are simply looked at as a negative hater during a time when everyone else is going to be a optimist.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we're all patting ourselves on the back here, I mentioned the elephant in the room, and decided to back down when everybody started talking about how Stafford wasn't the problem.

Reality.

If by back you mean cock then I agree.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's your coach.

Stafford needs to go back to the basics too. His mechanics are terrible. Like our boy Cutler, he relies too much on his arm strength.

Detroit has a lot of talent, but the lack of discipline en sech has to fall on the coaches head.