• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just A Thought ....

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say things play out like we all hope. We coast into the playoffs and the Doyers can't really bring any challenge as time dwindles down. The last three games in LA mean nothing to us BUT it does have a clear impact on whether or not LA makes the last wildcard position .

Do we play all out or do we throttle back until the playoffs?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say things play out like we all hope. We coast into the playoffs and the Doyers can't really bring any challenge as time dwindles down. The last three games in LA mean nothing to us BUT it does have a clear impact on whether or not LA makes the last wildcard position .

We step on their throat and hit a grand slam in the 9th inning to eliminate them.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How does the wildcard thing work in 2012? Does the wildcard play-in "winner" automatically play the top seed regardless of whether they're in the same division? Because I do not want the Giants to have to play two on the road to start a five game series. That's a recipe for an upset.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does the wildcard thing work in 2012? Does the wildcard play-in "winner" automatically play the top seed regardless of whether they're in the same division? Because I do not want the Giants to have to play two on the road to start a five game series. That's a recipe for an upset.

I believe yes the wild card play in winner plays the top seed regardless of division. So the likely configuration for the NL is:

Reds at Giants for 2, then at Reds for 3
Washington at wildcard for 2, home for 3

It's pretty weird. And then sfgiantsarethebest posts the 2013 schedule, even weirder. I hope they get to 16 teams in each league soon so it can go back to something kinda normal.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Found this ..... this happens after the wildcard 1 game playoff ...

There are two new wrinkles to the Division Series as well. Clubs from the same division are now allowed to face each other in the opening rounds and the best-of-five format will shift from the traditional 2-2-1 to a 2-3 format where the higher seed will play the final three games at home. This shift in format is only for 2012 in order to reduce travel time due to the tight schedule.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are two new wrinkles to the Division Series as well. Clubs from the same division are now allowed to face each other in the opening rounds and the best-of-five format will shift from the traditional 2-2-1 to a 2-3 format where the higher seed will play the final three games at home. This shift in format is only for 2012 in order to reduce travel time due to the tight schedule.

So for 2013 isn't there still a 1 game wildcard play-in? Wouldn't that require the same format as 2012?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk about randomness...literally spin the wheel, anyone can win the playoffs.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I believe yes the wild card play in winner plays the top seed regardless of division. So the likely configuration for the NL is:

Washington at wildcard for 2, home for 3

It's pretty weird. And then sfgiantsarethebest posts the 2013 schedule, even weirder. I hope they get to 16 teams in each league soon so it can go back to something kinda normal.

Ah, thank you sirs. :yo:

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington at wildcard for 2, home for 3.

MSG: How did you determine the Giants open against the Reds? How are they determining seeding? Total wins? Confuses the crap out of me! But, as long as we're playing someone .... then I know we're in the playoffs!!!!!!!

Total wins would be crazy. There is a chance that the wildcard (if Atlanta) could have more wins then the Western Conference champion. Would that make them the 3rd seed?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MSG: How did you determine the Giants open against the Reds? How are they determining seeding? Total wins? Confuses the crap out of me! But, as long as we're playing someone .... then I know we're in the playoffs!!!!!!!

Total wins would be crazy. There is a chance that the wildcard (if Atlanta) could have more wins then the Western Conference champion. Would that make them the 3rd seed?

Divisions are seeded 1-3 based on record then the wild card is the 4th seed. If the playoff started today, Washington has the best record so they are number 1 and they'll play Atlanta or St. Louis, the Reds are the 2 seed and the Giants are the 3 so they play each other.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What's crazy about that, it's how they've done it forever and ever. And the wildcard is always lower seeded. Works that way in football too, wild card teams with 10 wins are seeded lower than division winners with 9. You get a benefit for winning your division, even if your division sucked.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think we have to play them as hard as we always do. Dodgers are hoping that a playoff run this season will pay off with big money in their next television deal. Anything we can do to hamper them helps us.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think we have to play them as hard as we always do. Dodgers are hoping that a playoff run this season will pay off with big money in their next television deal. Anything we can do to hamper them helps us.

I don't know...anything that keeps Agent Ned in place helps us.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know...anything that keeps Agent Ned in place helps us.

Good point. LOL. With Agent Ned in place, it doesn't matter how much money the Dodgers have.