• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Junior hockey player convulsed on ice after smacking his head

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a pretty good read (a bit long) but talks about the difference in size and strength at this age group.
No, I'm not trying to start any shit.

It was a night like any other in the United States Hockey League, the top junior A circuit in the country. Two teams playing a tight-checking, fast, physical hockey game in front of a modest, but boisterous crowd at Cedar Rapids (Iowa) Ice Arena on Saturday night. As the halfway point of the second period approached, a play that happens many times over the course of a junior hockey season erupted in a fight between two players from the Dubuque Fighting Saints and Cedar Rapids RoughRiders.

There was no pre-fight dance, no removal of helmets, just gloves and fists flying in a heat-of-the-moment act of aggression. Then everything changed.

As Cedar Rapids forward Corey Petrash and Saints defenseman Dylan Chanter traded blows, Chanter's helmet flew off his head. Within seconds, the tustle went to the ground and Chanter's head struck the ice with force. The crowd roared as the 18-year-old Chanter lay motionless. Then he started moving. The crowd's cheers quieted to hushed tones throughout the arena.

Chanter was having a seizure on top of the ice. The defenseman convulsed for what witnesses say was about two minutes. Chanter was rushed to a local hospital and later air-lifted to the University of Iowa hospitals where he would see a neurologist. The game was suspended as a result of the horrifying scene on the ice.

Chanter was released from the hospital that same night, which is hard to believe considering what had happened just hours earlier. As the hockey world feared the worst for the 18-year-old Armstrong, B.C., native, he tweeted that he was awake and OK. A relief, but hardly comforting after what unfolded earlier that evening.

Dylan Chanter is a lucky man. Lucky he wasn't injured worse, perhaps lucky to be alive......
.....Continue here....

Final straw: After near tragedy, junior hockey must stop the fight - CBSSports.com

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bossman, always trying to start shit.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bossman, always trying to start shit.

Sly, I almost took the thread down because of the heated debate a while back. I guess the point for this league is that some of the players are 16 and some 20 and there can be a pretty significant difference in size and strength at that age because of the growing years. I was hoping to get some feedback on this AT THIS LEVEL of play not the NHL.

I may still delete the thread if it causes problems but that wasn't my intent.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really feel bad for the kid. I won't get into whether fighting should be banned or not because we've already had this debate. I will just offer my thoughts & prayers to Dylan Chanter and wish him the best in his recovery, hope it's not too serious.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow he's lucky he wasn't hurt even more - I know these issues can get heated/controversial, my feeling is you can't change rules just because of one bad incident, but as players all they can try and do is be more safe when they're out there and things will take care of itself

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow he's lucky he wasn't hurt even more - I know these issues can get heated/controversial, my feeling is you can't change rules just because of one bad incident, but as players all they can try and do is be more safe when they're out there and things will take care of itself

Yeah it's going to happen but again you wonder if it should be allowed at this level for the reasons I mentioned above.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it's going to happen but again you wonder if it should be allowed at this level for the reasons I mentioned above.

Sure, I think that's a fair question considering the level they're at - I just think at this point, to take it out because of one incident really isn't fair - those young guys need to prepare for what is to come in the NHL

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sly, I almost took the thread down because of the heated debate a while back. I guess the point for this league is that some of the players are 16 and some 20 and there can be a pretty significant difference in size and strength at that age because of the growing years. I was hoping to get some feedback on this AT THIS LEVEL of play not the NHL.

I may still delete the thread if it causes problems but that wasn't my intent.

Don't players at that level still wear full cages? Why was his on so loose that it could be knocked off? Even in High School that I've watched around here, those things aren't coming off easy.

Not to re-hash the fight debate either, because my thoughts are well known. But I am curious how the helmet could come off, and why the refs didn't stop it when it came off. They mandate full cages at that level for a lot of reasons and they need to follow through on making sure they stay on.

I think that it happened in a fight is secondary. Just like Parros. Parros was tied up and slammed, what else was happening at the time gets away from the core issue of him not being able to protect himself because his hands were tied up. Dangerous play. Seems to me something similar here. Parros would not have been hurt as bad if he had his hands free and was not suplexed. And it sounds like this kid wouldn't have been hurt as bad if at all if he had his cage still on.

Hope he recovers well.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this on TSN last night.

What more proof do people need than this video to see that banning cowbells from hockey arenas is long overdue?

Seriously though, that looks pretty scary. Glad it wasn't worse and hope he recovers well.

Last edited by a moderator:

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't players at that level still wear full cages? Why was his on so loose that it could be knocked off? Even in High School that I've watched around here, those things aren't coming off easy.

...Hope he recovers well.

I'm trying to remember - since it's been a bit since I last went to and Indiana Ice game - but as I recall some do & some just use the NHL 'visor': I guess that it depends on your personal preference.