• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jordan Staal is underappreciated

DeathByEmu

Large Flightless Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, putting in a big new garage, contractors have me ready to go postal haha.

Kind of put a damper on vacation plans because we didnt know when the work would be done.

Still had a pretty good summer, got a new bike and it already has many day-trip miles on it.

flyermaniaa90

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thats funny just did some biking today...getting back on the PX 90 Later this week...bitch of a work out but nice...putting a fence in next weekend...three dogs 4kids...case a beer...ok the beer are not family but a close second...lol...done all the building at my house just wish it would cool down to use the deck...should with the rain...take it light dbe...im out...GO FLYERS!!!

DeathByEmu

Large Flightless Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pedal bike? HAHA not me... I got a new Triumph.
Mrs Emu told me that neither of us were getting any younger or skinnier and that my Bonneville needed upgraded haha.

DeathByEmu

Large Flightless Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
storm.jpg

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DBE....nice bike...My kids are old enough for college yet (4 years...) but still pay way too much for their stuff so no bike for me anymore.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staal hasn't done anything this year yet...

I'm holding out on judging for at least 1 more year.

DeathByEmu

Large Flightless Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He'll get his chance once again it looks like. I'm betting on the Penguins missing $8.7 million dollars of offense once the season starts, and he better do a better job of stepping up than last year.

He spent the summer training with Gary Roberts, so I do expect a leaner, meaner Jordan if nothing else.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
'Stepping up' was tossed around a lot as if Staal were capable of suddenly changing from the player that he is into the player that a lot of people wanted him to be.

If your definition of 'stepping up' is to score a point per game then I'll end the suspense right now. Not gonna happen.

DeathByEmu

Large Flightless Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No, 'stepping up' meant going above and beyond what they are used to doing. And in the second half of last season Staal DID NOT do that. Neither did most of the veterals that weren't on LTIR.

Tyler Kennedy was the only player that seemed to realize he was in a contract year.

Staal wants to move up from his 3rd line shut-down role.... he needs to 'change his game' to some extent. He has excelled in any role the Pens have pushed him into (shut down center, penalty killer) and I see no reason to believe that a 22 year old kid can't become a 60-70 point player over time.. IF he gets the green light and the opportunity.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well you can call Kennedy's development 'stepping up' if you want - but I wouldn't. Everyone played to the best of their abilities because they're in a good system, but Staal's abilities don't include being a first line center.

If we put you out there on the ice and called you a third line center, would you 'step up'?

DeathByEmu

Large Flightless Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well you can call Kennedy's development 'stepping up' if you want - but I wouldn't. Everyone played to the best of their abilities because they're in a good system, but Staal's abilities don't include being a first line center.

If we put you out there on the ice and called you a third line center, would you 'step up'?

You realize what you just typed out?
Why is it Tyler Kennedy develops and yet a Jordan Staal has reached his ceiling? TK has more raw talent than Staal?

And if they 'put me on the ice and called me a third line center'and I was not only the best center on the team but also the highest paid forward.. YES I think it fair that I be asked to STEP UP.

Regardless.. sorry, I can't buy that a 22-year old, a Selke canidate that had a 30-goal season his rookie year, has reached his full potential.
That would be foolish.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if staal develops it'll be a good thing, but it won't be a sign that he's stepping up. stepping up is a myth that the announcers are fond of peddling.

DeathByEmu

Large Flightless Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No, it isn't. 'Stepping up' is making the most of your chance when you are put in a position to fill a void.

The BEST example of this in recent Penguin history:

Malkin STEPPED UP when Sid went down with a high ankle sprain. He went far above and beyond even his amazing skillset to make up for the loss of Crosby.

Kennedy was one of the few Penguins this past spring to rise above and beyond his normal role and embrace the chance given him by the increased playing time and offensive void left by the missing 87 and 71. I was never a Tyler Kennedy guy, either.

'Developing' is the honing of skills. 'Stepping up' is allowing them to be put to use when they are most needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All great points... A lot depends on the role that he is given to play.

Being on the PK will wear you down.. Especially when your team seem to be on it all the time.

DeathByEmu

Large Flightless Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Being on the PK will wear you down.. Especially when your team seem to be on it all the time.

Ha!

that is a big problem no one brings up much. Way too many dumb penalties.

Let me ask this question... do the Pens play reckless in general, or do they only do it because, for the most part, they have an awesome PK and know it usually bails out a hook or an interference?