• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jordan Staal is underappreciated

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha!

that is a big problem no one brings up much. Way too many dumb penalties.

Let me ask this question... do the Pens play reckless in general, or do they only do it because, for the most part, they have an awesome PK and know it usually bails out a hook or an interference?

No doubt they most likely felt not much mattered for awhile last year for a long time.. I know I did. BUT, when things started to break down a bit, we had problems.

With Geno looking to have the spotlight for a bit (and a history of bad penalties) this most likely will be an issue again. The question is, based on this thread, will Staal be on the PK again. I think he will, and I think he will continue to play the role that he has on this team.

DeathByEmu

Large Flightless Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed.

Another thing hampering Staal getting more PP time and less PK time... Talbot gone. Not a huge factor, but Max was good on the PK and until some one 'steps up' and takes over some of those duties for both players... Jordan will be needed on the PK just as badly.

Also, to your comment, it's hard to not hope for the same super-hero results from Malkin if Sid is out for any length of time, but that was a level of play no one can sustain over the course of a season, and we all know it.

....But his dumb penalties will still be there I'm sure haha.. Malkin has a nasty little temper and a little dirty side when he gets pissed off.. So yea, Jordan Staal and Co. will be bailing him out from time to time.

DeathByEmu

Large Flightless Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That was just a hot streak. You really believe in this hocum?

A hot streak he has come no where near to duplicating in 5 years, performed at the exact moment it was needed most..

thats the effing definition of 'stepping up'

Dude, I'm married... you can argue all day with me on something myself and most of the world accepts as being true... and it will be to no avail.

Not only can you not even come close to mounting the pointless arguments that I face around the house, but you also lack the ability to send me to the couch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm used to it. Most of the world believes in God too.
I don't get mad about it - I just don't think much of your consensus.

DeathByEmu

Large Flightless Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hey, it's your thread, troll it it all day long.

At least I can understand your anti-God stance.... happens to Pirates fans a lot.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ugh. can't edit the god thing. melodramatic I know.

Let me ask you this:
If Malkin is capable of 'stepping up' then why doesn't he do it all the time? You obviously think it's a skill that can be turned on when it needs to be and you obviously think that Malkin has turned it on at the proper time, so why isn't he always playing at that level?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kennedy stepped up but still like the both of you there wasn't really any improvement. Honestly with Kennedy, as much as I hate to say this, someone had to score a goal and he just happened to be the only one since he took way too many shots.

With Malkin it is 100% mental. He has the talent to play at the level of a top 5 player in the NHL all the time but he chooses not to. Why? The only one's that can answer that are his Psychiatrist and him.

DeathByEmu

Large Flightless Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With Malkin it is 100% mental. He has the talent to play at the level of a top 5 player in the NHL all the time but he chooses not to. Why? The only one's that can answer that are his Psychiatrist and him.

I know what you mean. I always joke that he has a touch of that dreaded Eastern European disease, 'Kovalev-itis'. At least he doesn't have it to the extent that many other guys have it.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
emu,glad to see you have made yourself at home here!! :) I'm ready for the puck to drop!!! PENS!!!!

DeathByEmu

Large Flightless Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Its so mellow over here, Blue haha.

Some nut-busting goes on, but it's all in fun... and if it isnt, IP's get banned!

Maybe you can get that Reds board built up a little better!

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its so mellow over here, Blue haha.

Some nut-busting goes on, but it's all in fun... and if it isnt, IP's get banned!

Maybe you can get that Reds board built up a little better!

That's why I like it here.

samsdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Illiness keep in mind the Pens are a puck possesion team, that's their forte'. With Crosby out, Geno is expected to do two things. Play more minutes and qb the first team pp. I believe the "stepping up" Emu is referring to is the added responsibilities not the level of play. By the way,if you qb the power play your point total should increase as well as it should increase with playing more minutes.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have nothing against Jordan Staal. I think he's a very good player.

However, how many of the following players would you rather have than Jordan Staal?

Jonathan Toews
Nicklas Backstrom
Phil Kessel
Chris Stewart

DeathByEmu

Large Flightless Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have nothing against Jordan Staal. I think he's a very good player.

However, how many of the following players would you rather have than Jordan Staal?

Jonathan Toews
Nicklas Backstrom
Phil Kessel
Chris Stewart

If I was starting a team from scratch? Most of them.

If I had a Malkin and Crosby already, though.... that changes the entire equation, doesn't it? Having them makes you need a Towes or Backstrom so much less.

Sorry, that "best 3rd line in hockey" on the Cup run was a beast. None of the above would have run a shut-down line as well in my sorry opinion!

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was starting a team from scratch? Most of them.

If I had a Malkin and Crosby already, though.... that changes the entire equation, doesn't it? Having them makes you need a Towes or Backstrom so much less.

Sorry, that "best 3rd line in hockey" on the Cup run was a beast. None of the above would have run a shut-down line as well in my sorry opinion!

The only reason I asked about those specific players is because they were in the same draft class as Staal & could have been taken with the 2nd pick overall.

Your opinion is as good as anyone else's on here including mine.

DeathByEmu

Large Flightless Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The only reason I asked about those specific players is because they were in the same draft class as Staal & could have been taken with the 2nd pick overall.

Oh yea, thats a great point and it will be argued forever. I'm saying you are right, those other players are going to outscore Staal most every night. If I was starting a team I'd most likely take a Towes first.

It's just great that up until now, Staal wasn't forced to carry the team like some of the others, he was let to develop his d-game... which is amazing.

Staal is an orange in a basket of apples. Hard to compare his value to others picked along side him.