• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jon Daniels might be the problem

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy has let Mike Napoli, Josh Hamilton, Ian Kinsler, and Nelson Cruz go over the last few years. All we have to show for it is a struggling Prince Fielder and a lead off man who never scores runs because of the guys behind him. Arencibia..... Really? Soto........ Huh? We could've tried to outbid Chicago for Abreu, I wanted him. You guys give me shit about the Moreland hate, but Abreu / Napoli / Cruz would've addressed the power shortage we have. We either let those guys go or didn't pursue other guys because of Mitch.

On the pitching front, he built the staff on hopes and dreams. Granted, Holland and Perez weren't his fault, but the odds were against Harrison and Lewis coming back and being like their former selves. Last year, Kyle Lohse wanted to come here. Currently, he is 5-1 with a 2.88 era with the Brewers. Ervin Santana was attainable, he is currently 4-0 with a 2.22 ERA playing for the Braves. He let Nathan go without even thinking twice. Soria has done well as the closer, but how valuable would Soria have been holding down the 8th inning this year?

The question becomes, what the hell is JD waiting for? He's obviously not spending enough money or he's not spending it wisely. I know we have a budget, but we're not necessarily Tampa Bay and we did sign that huge TV contract. The money is there, you can tell me about our great farm system, but who has come through the pipeline and contributed at a major league level? Certainly not Profar.... JD got us into this mess, At this point I'd say his strategy is flawed, he relies too much on " giving guys a shot" and doesn't like to pony up for a " sure thing" we could've and should've kept Napoli from going to Boston. I still think Cruz isn't here because of some childish bullshit reason, Baltimore has used Cruz as the DH in PLENTY of games so far. Maybe JD is hard to work with.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy has let Mike Napoli, Josh Hamilton, Ian Kinsler, and Nelson Cruz go over the last few years. All we have to show for it is a struggling Prince Fielder and a lead off man who never scores runs because of the guys behind him. Arencibia..... Really? Soto........ Huh? We could've tried to outbid Chicago for Abreu, I wanted him. You guys give me shit about the Moreland hate, but Abreu / Napoli / Cruz would've addressed the power shortage we have. We either let those guys go or didn't pursue other guys because of Mitch.

On the pitching front, he built the staff on hopes and dreams. Granted, Holland and Perez weren't his fault, but the odds were against Harrison and Lewis coming back and being like their former selves. Last year, Kyle Lohse wanted to come here. Currently, he is 5-1 with a 2.88 era with the Brewers. Ervin Santana was attainable, he is currently 4-0 with a 2.22 ERA playing for the Braves. He let Nathan go without even thinking twice. Soria has done well as the closer, but how valuable would Soria have been holding down the 8th inning this year?

The question becomes, what the hell is JD waiting for? He's obviously not spending enough money or he's not spending it wisely. I know we have a budget, but we're not necessarily Tampa Bay and we did sign that huge TV contract. The money is there, you can tell me about our great farm system, but who has come through the pipeline and contributed at a major league level? Certainly not Profar.... JD got us into this mess, At this point I'd say his strategy is flawed, he relies too much on " giving guys a shot" and doesn't like to pony up for a " sure thing" we could've and should've kept Napoli from going to Boston. I still think Cruz isn't here because of some childish bullshit reason, Baltimore has used Cruz as the DH in PLENTY of games so far. Maybe JD is hard to work with.

Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber, there is so much nonsense in this that its not even worth dissecting, I'd be here all night

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right. All JD has to show for his work his prince fielder.... not Yu Darvish, Not one of the most lopsided trades in baseball history, not two straight world series appearances before this franchise had only seen one, not more playoff appearances then this franchise had in 30 years, not a respectable pitching staff for the first time ever, not a fantastic farm system that seems to keep giving. none of that. Just prince fucking fielder man.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
more often than not it's a group effort when things go well or when the wheels fall off. I think either way JD is part of the group.

Time will tell this tale

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Billy Madison references are always welcomed.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

61bGh.gif

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:10:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is Tyler? Crawler?:noidea:

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you everyone for the laughs this morning...esp the Billy Madison quote and the gif of the annoyed guy!

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to respond, but then I went back to jta's retort and think this about sums it up for me too.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I disagree about some of the things you posted... JD definitely has a role that he has to own in all of this. For some reason it seems like he gets a free pass more than most. I would say at the moment the Fielder trade is appearing to back fire on them. They should have found out about the disks IMO. I think the way we handled the Ryan situation as well as the way others have left have given the club a poor image and maybe affected the team culture negatively.

Injuries are pretty much going to eliminate most of his and the coach's responsibility though.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I disagree about some of the things you posted... JD definitely has a role that he has to own in all of this. For some reason it seems like he gets a free pass more than most. I would say at the moment the Fielder trade is appearing to back fire on them. They should have found out about the disks IMO. I think the way we handled the Ryan situation as well as the way others have left have given the club a poor image and maybe affected the team culture negatively.

Injuries are pretty much going to eliminate most of his and the coach's responsibility though.

The one thing he touched on which I agree with is, JD is probably difficult to work with. And why would anyone think otherwise really? He's young, brash, a New York'er to the core, and really doesn't have much of a personality.

I don't know if he gets a free pass or not. But yeah, he does get a lot of "forgiveness" that's for sure.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing he touched on which I agree with is, JD is probably difficult to work with. And why would anyone think otherwise really? He's young, brash, a New York'er to the core, and really doesn't have much of a personality.

I don't know if he gets a free pass or not. But yeah, he does get a lot of "forgiveness" that's for sure.
If it were like he planned in ST and no injuries we would not be having this discussion. In addition to the injuries, he is not responsible for poor performance on the field. If players and coaches got their feelings hurt over the Nolan deal they need to get over it but I doubt seriously they did to the extent their performance declines. Free passes only count if you're an owner. There you have it and it's not worth much.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it were like he planned in ST and no injuries we would not be having this discussion. In addition to the injuries, he is not responsible for poor performance on the field. If players and coaches got their feelings hurt over the Nolan deal they need to get over it but I doubt seriously they did to the extent their performance declines. Free passes only count if you're an owner. There you have it and it's not worth much.

So.....we're sorta on the same page. haha Come on over to the new thread I started.

I've never started one before, but it seemed we all needed to abandon this line of thought which was started by a semi-lunatic.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My response was mostly to those we "let get away" Napoli had a bum hip and had never showed himself to be much of a 1B and was coming off a bad season, he ended up signing a bargain basement deal b/c he failed a physical, then CHOSE to return to BoSox after winning a WS even though we made a competitive offer

Kinser was traded to make room for Profar, no way anyone could've known Profar would get hurt, in all fairness betting money that Kinsler would get hurt was a MUCH better bet

The only issue I have is what seems like dropping the ball on a potential physical or missing a physical issue with Fielder, no one really knows for sure what happened

anyone who can fault us for letting Hamilton go after the last couple seasons is borderline retarded

Abreu is probably one that hurts but he got big money and was a total unknown and wildcard coming from Cuba and sitting a long time, props to the ChiSox for that score, we weren't he only ones scared and we were already up against the budget

And we've discussed Cruz ad nauseum, he CHOSE to leave, get over it, we offered him the QO and probably offered something in line with what he got from Baltimore, its done

As far as Ryan goes, he was great for image but I doubt he ever had much say in personnel decisions, I'm sure he was allowed his 2 cents but thats about it, and his absence has little impact on the long term success of this ballclub