• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

John Lynch to be new GM

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an interesting read. Matt Millen was in the same position on Lynch. He reflects on why things went badly for him and the difficulties of being in this position

Matt Millen: John Lynch faces 'steep learning curve'

Without a doubt it will be a steep learning curve, however I think that Millen and Lynch are different humans. Hopefully Lynchs' saving grace is his Stanford education...we shall see I guess.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I copied this from Pozz who posted this on another site.

One of the biggest takeaways I remember from the Matt Millen era was that many people were saying at the time as he was doing the job and then later confirmed by Millen himself in multiple interviews after he became a broadcaster again was that he didn't work smart or in the right places.

He admitted to not being overly diligent on digging into player character, work ethic, talking to high school coaches, talking to college coaches, talking to teachers, talking to professors, talking to childhood friends, talking to former co-workers, talking to former bosses, etc..

He has mentioned how he'd travel to a pro day, watch a couple kids move around that his staff would tell him to keep an eye on, and then he'd leave and watch more tape.

He wasn't overly interested in picking up some of the smaller details mentioned above when it came to kids.

When it came to his staff he said he'd often have somebody come into his office with a problem and he'd send them away without any real direction and they'd be left on their own to figure it out by themselves. He said he wasn't great at being a peace maker or using his power to settle arguments when somebody would go to bat for player/coach A and somebody else would go for player/coach B so things would fester.

This is one area where John Elway knocks it out of the park IMO. He not only is one of the hardest personnel men I've ever studied but he just seems to understand which little things are important and how you go about applying it to each level of the organization. It's why I'd tell any young person to try and get your foot inside his door if you had the chance for an internship with a team in any kind of capacity because he's so good at so much of the smaller things and he's just a natural with the big things.

Another area where the differences between Millen to an Elway were night and day was that Millen had trouble lowering himself to do jobs or tasks that were below his job title - running/cutting tape, recording numbers, scheduling, etc.. There's a lot of people who have spoken how beneficial it is for a head man who still does these type of things because of the things you can unearth on your own that can help make the bigger decisions easier when it ends up falling on you because you're the one with power.

I don't know for sure if Lynch will be closer to an Elway or a Millen in this regard BUT if he does in fact have a genuine interest in this job and he displays the type of characteristics he had while he was a player, he MIGHT not fail for some of the same reasons that Millen failed.

There's a ton of other traps that Lynch could fall into that could end up being the reason he fails but I don't like the Millen comparisons when you dig deep into them because Lynch doesn't strike me as the type that will fail for the very reasons why Millen did IMO. It's possible I am wrong, but that's why I don't love the Millen comparisons right now but obviously I can see why people bring the name up because of the experience junk.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without a doubt it will be a steep learning curve, however I think that Millen and Lynch are different humans. Hopefully Lynchs' saving grace is his Stanford education...we shall see I guess.

Being smart is a start. Hopefully that includes being smart enough to realize that he doesn't have the experience and is willing to lean on others that do and learn from them. Hopefully, he is the anti-Baalke in that regard

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha ha! This is the guy we've been waiting for? Not only does he have no GM experience he has no front office experience period. The depths of Jed York's stupidity is just stunning.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely agree. This is the worst team in the league. It needs a complete rebuild from the ground up. FO, scouting, coaching staff--all needs an overhaul. Lynch has no coaching experience, no front office experience and no scouting experience. How on earth is this a good hiring decision?

I keep seeing all these posts about how "if the offseason goes well, it could turn out ok" or "Shanny will have final say". If that's the case then it doesn't really matter who the GM is. The team could've hired, literally, anyone and that kind of ridiculous post is still true. Nothing but blind hope that people who have never done anything like this before will suddenly be good at it. Sure, it's possible, but it's also possible that a new universe will spontaneously burst into being in my trash can--and they are both very unlikely.
You mean all his experience as a broadcaster doesn't prepare him for becoming a GM?

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see this hire as one of two situations...It'll either be an unbelievable success or a complete disaster...Considering the Niner's past success, it's hard to be against the former, but as a Rams fan I'm of course hoping for the latter :nod: :lol: :suds:

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the hope is that Lynch will bring in a good team around him like Elway did or at least that is the hope

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see this hire as one of two situations...It'll either be an unbelievable success or a complete disaster...Considering the Niner's past success, it's hard to be against the former, but as a Rams fan I'm of course hoping for the latter :nod: :lol: :suds:
Rams fans know all about disasters.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My co-worker is a big Rams can
We have discussing our teams problems

I can see that!!! I'm certainly no Niners fan, but like I said, this is either going to be a FANTASTIC hire, or a COMPLETE disaster... I'd personally rather see us(the Rams)and the Niners running this division(like it used to be), but maybe that's just me...

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that!!! I'm certainly no Niners fan, but like I said, this is either going to be a FANTASTIC hire, or a COMPLETE disaster... I'd personally rather see us(the Rams)and the Niners running this division(like it used to be), but maybe that's just me...

That's probably three years away. The Seahawks will still be strong, but they have deficiencies on offense. The defense isn't as strong three years ago. The Cardinals may have a QB problem because of Palmer's age. Fitzgerald might retire after next season so they are on the decline. It all depends how Goff progresses and if the Niners are able to land a franchise QB.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's probably three years away. The Seahawks will still be strong, but they have deficiencies on offense. The defense isn't as strong three years ago. The Cardinals may have a QB problem because of Palmer's age. Fitzgerald might retire after next season so they are on the decline. It all depends how Goff progresses and if the Niners are able to land a franchise QB.

And they both have two of the old coaches in the league

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch's first hire - Adam Peters from Denver - a well-respected guy within the business for VP of player personnel. So far, so good. All the doomsayers should just pump the brakes a tad before we have something concrete that says this will be a disaster.