• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

John Lynch to be new GM

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Adam Schefter. This is a bit of a head scratcher. Sounds like the Shanahnd behind this

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so be it.

we'll judge him in 2-3 years based on his work. we shouldn't judge him now.

No experience so no baggage. I agree with you Deep. Let's see how he does in three years based on his drafts and FA signings. I just hope it's not Matt Millen, Part II.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok now that I had a chance to relax I had to break it down a little. 6 year deal is more connected with Shanahan 6 year deal. They are tied together. It will be tough to have a 1st time HC and 1st time GM and maybe a rookie QB. Im a little confused why they would hire lynch. Again If they were going to do something like this why not Steve Young. Now Lynch is a smart man, knows his football but what does he know about being a GM. Yes Elway did it but I don't think Lynch is Elway. 1st of all Elway is doing for his team and he was a QB.
I do wish this works out and I will wait and see what we do this offseason before I fully judge. On surface Im not a big fan of this but I also understand we need a HC and GM who are on the same page. In this case Shanahan has more power then the GM so that usually isn't a good thing.

We will find out I guess.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No experience so no baggage. I agree with you Deep. Let's see how he does in three years based on his drafts and FA signings. I just hope it's not Matt Millen, Part II.
It can be Matt Millen or Elway.

I do think 100% we are drafting a QB. thats a way to start the rebuild…… 1st time HC, 1st time GM and a rookie QB. Let the rebuild begin.

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can judge him now since he has no experience whatsoever. This is a stupid move, but I would love to be wrong.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do think 100% we are drafting a QB. thats a way to start the rebuild…… 1st time HC, 1st time GM and a rookie QB. Let the rebuild begin.

You're right about Elway having close ties with the Broncos since he spent his whole career with them. I also have a feeling that it will be a QB with the 2nd pick unless they sign someone through FA. My guess will be either Mitch Trubisky or Deshaun Watson. I would think that Shanahan wants to start grooming his owns QB his first year. There will be plenty of growing pains, but I hope that within three years, Niners will be back in the playoffs. I just want to see growth each year (better tacking, better execution offensively and defensively).

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right about Elway having close ties with the Broncos since he spent his whole career with them. I also have a feeling that it will be a QB with the 2nd pick unless they sign someone through FA. My guess will be either Mitch Trubisky or Deshaun Watson. I would think that Shanahan wants to start grooming his owns QB his first year. There will be plenty of growing pains, but I hope that within three years, Niners will be back in the playoffs. I just want to see growth each year (better tacking, better execution offensively and defensively).
I think Trubisky or Kizer. Pocket passers. Watson doesn't fit shanahan offense. He didn't like RG3.

I agree I want growth. 3rd year is the year. 2nd we might sniff a shot at playoffs but will just miss it.

one thing York said he wanted was winners and and bringing the culture back to SF. Lynch is a winner and Shanahan might win the super bowl.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
b77aad5f220c10192ed84a14cf9cd2f6484a947acd9cb1f3363c6d94827667e8.jpg

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most were like 'WTF' when this started coming down. I still have my doubts even if the Niners are claiming they want to follow the Broncos structure, which has worked out pretty well, but I still have my doubts. One aspect will come down to who Lynch and co. get as personnel men. Apparently, that's what they're looking for right now and the first name I've heard was Mark Dominik, another guy tied to Lynch.

I'd also like to see the hierarchy in all of this. Where exactly is Lynch slotted in this...for example above or below Paraag. Does Gamble stick around? The one thing I really liked that Lynch called for, and almost every Niner fan can agree with is, he wanted this to be secret, ie no leaks. If anything can be concluded, it's at least a sign of leadership, if not an obvious revelation to those who decided to let the media in on all things 49er. Hopefully, that is the past.

One thing seems certain....Jed York has put his entire cache of eggs into one basket. Like waiting for Shanahan, it was a big risk (although I don't think this was a necessary risk). If not for Shanahan, whom I STILL want to see signed on the dotted line....I would be really hesitant to say the least.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to wait and see how they do in the next couple of drafts, if they draft well they should start to see improvement on the field.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to wait and see how they do in the next couple of drafts, if they draft well they should start to see improvement on the field.

As long as Lynch and Shanahan do not draft like Baalke did in 2012, I think the Niners will be okay. The first player they draft that was seriously injured and projected to miss the 2017 season, I am going to be very upset. The Niners need all the talent and healthy able bodies on the field. NO MORE of this redshirt BS.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope it is Elway and not Millen. Millen drafted WR's three years in a row in the first round.:L

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can judge him now since he has no experience whatsoever. This is a stupid move, but I would love to be wrong.
Completely agree. This is the worst team in the league. It needs a complete rebuild from the ground up. FO, scouting, coaching staff--all needs an overhaul. Lynch has no coaching experience, no front office experience and no scouting experience. How on earth is this a good hiring decision?

I keep seeing all these posts about how "if the offseason goes well, it could turn out ok" or "Shanny will have final say". If that's the case then it doesn't really matter who the GM is. The team could've hired, literally, anyone and that kind of ridiculous post is still true. Nothing but blind hope that people who have never done anything like this before will suddenly be good at it. Sure, it's possible, but it's also possible that a new universe will spontaneously burst into being in my trash can--and they are both very unlikely.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely agree. This is the worst team in the league. It needs a complete rebuild from the ground up. FO, scouting, coaching staff--all needs an overhaul. Lynch has no coaching experience, no front office experience and no scouting experience. How on earth is this a good hiring decision?

I keep seeing all these posts about how "if the offseason goes well, it could turn out ok" or "Shanny will have final say". If that's the case then it doesn't really matter who the GM is. The team could've hired, literally, anyone and that kind of ridiculous post is still true. Nothing but blind hope that people who have never done anything like this before will suddenly be good at it. Sure, it's possible, but it's also possible that a new universe will spontaneously burst into being in my trash can--and they are both very unlikely.

I think most people are skeptical about the hiring of Lynch as GM. Jed did interview several candidates, but most withrew from consideration. A few declined to be interviewed. The Niners were down to two candidates who had 2nd interviews. Maybe these candidates didn't want to be under Shanahan and just be a "yes" man. The Colts just hired Ballard who is highly respected and he didn't even want to interview with the Niners. As a loyal fan, I'm hoping for the best.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok now that I had a chance to relax I had to break it down a little. 6 year deal is more connected with Shanahan 6 year deal. They are tied together. It will be tough to have a 1st time HC and 1st time GM and maybe a rookie QB. Im a little confused why they would hire lynch. Again If they were going to do something like this why not Steve Young. Now Lynch is a smart man, knows his football but what does he know about being a GM. Yes Elway did it but I don't think Lynch is Elway. 1st of all Elway is doing for his team and he was a QB.
I do wish this works out and I will wait and see what we do this offseason before I fully judge. On surface Im not a big fan of this but I also understand we need a HC and GM who are on the same page. In this case Shanahan has more power then the GM so that usually isn't a good thing.

We will find out I guess.

Probably because Steve Young does not want the job. From what I've read of Steve Young is that he is involved in outside ventures in addition to his media gig. Even Brent Jones on KNBR implied Young's time was limited

aircobra

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Colts just hired Ballard who is highly respected and he didn't even want to interview with the Niners.

That's not true at all. The Chiefs blocked the Niners from interviewing him. And by the time their season was up, they were already well into the interview process and down to their final few candidates. I think most fans can agree that the final 2 they interviewed Saturday would have been better choices. Hopefully it wasn't a case of Shanahan wanting more power than has been reported. It will be interesting to see who fills out the FO to help Lynch.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with much of what has already been said. It is a risky. The ongoing concern for me is still a lack of football expertise in the FO. Other than Lynch, You have York, Marathe, and Guido. None of these people have a football background. I hope Gamble sticks around. They really need someone like him in the organization. Not sure what t make of the current scouting department. Were some of the recent poor drafts because of poor scouting or was it due to Baalke being pickheaded when it comes to maklng picks.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not true at all. The Chiefs blocked the Niners from interviewing him. And by the time their season was up, they were already well into the interview process and down to their final few candidates. I think most fans can agree that the final 2 they interviewed Saturday would have been better choices. Hopefully it wasn't a case of Shanahan wanting more power than has been reported. It will be interesting to see who fills out the FO to help Lynch.

Yes, the Chiefs did block Ballard from interviewing, but word out there was that Ballard asked the Chiefs to block the interview. Wouldn't surprise me as the Chiefs did not block Indy from interviewing him.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the Chiefs did block Ballard from interviewing, but word out there was that Ballard asked the Chiefs to block the interview. Wouldn't surprise me as the Chiefs did not block Indy from interviewing him.

I heard/read that Ballard wanted to remain in the Mid-West due to his family.....he had no intentions of uprooting his family to the west coast.