• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joey Bosa...not signed, which side do you fall?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if at any point the team has made an off-the-cuff comment to the player or agent along the lines of "we don't trust Joey with that much cash at once" and that has pissed him off. Just doesn't make sense to me. I'd gladly take just a million right now and the rest in 6 months. :noidea:

Could be, but I think it's the agent pushing for that lump sum.

Let's use $25.5 mil...that's more than 4 and less than 2 got. The agent makes his cut off the entire value of the contract...usually upfront. Max they can make is 3%, so $765k comes off the top of the $17 mil bonus...after taxes the player would get about $7.7mil net....still a lot of jack, but considerably less than the promoted figure.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do have that right but Bosa also has the right to not sign a contract he does not agree with.

Agreed, but from the player's stand point...The offset really has no bearing on them if they perform, and if they don't, they're going to take a big hit in pay regardless.

The bonus cash...yeah I get that, but if it's guaranteed and I'm getting half at signing and half the following March...I'm probably going sign and be in camp, but that's just me.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone done any research and published the numbers of the players who are cut in their rookie contract who sign with another club to see how much the original club would have saved? Is offset just for 1st rounders? I can't remember many 1st rounders cut that resign for big deals.

I haven't, but I'm sure some figures are out there...I think it is just for 1st rd guys.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 of the top 10 teams require at least the offset language.

Battle over offset language still lingers in top-10 contracts

So, no, not completely wrong. Using that as a basis, you figure at least even more teams use it as they get lower into the draft as the chances increase of players not sticking the longer you go. As is the usual flow, offset is included, and bonuses are paid out over a span of several years in the form of guaranteed roster bonuses that have to be paid out earlier in the year.

Seems to me that this has been the norm for several years now as this is from 2014

Offset language is likely a dead issue

Not saying it's right or wrong, just saying this is how teams have been operating for some time. Yes, some teams have relented. We'll see how it continues to move going forward, but I think it's quite ridiculous that this is keeping Bosa out of training and getting reps he needs. He's going to get paid one way or another, so again...put your big boy pants on and go play ball.
Remember, it's not just about the offset language, it's also about the bonus. From what I understand, Bosa wants either all the signing bonus upfront, or he wants the offset language removed. I believe this is standard for a top 5 pick. The Chargers are saying they'll only do the deal with the offset language and the bonus split up. Essentially they are asking him to take the worst deal ever for a top 5 pick since the new cba.

IMO that's an extremely dumb move on the Chargers part. It's not wise to go around pissing off a guy you just drafted 3rd overall and hope he's going to be a cornerstone of that defense. But then after the mess they made of the Weddle situation last year, I can't say this is surprising.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember, it's not just about the offset language, it's also about the bonus. From what I understand, Bosa wants either all the signing bonus upfront, or he wants the offset language removed. I believe this is standard for a top 5 pick. The Chargers are saying they'll only do the deal with the offset language and the bonus split up. Essentially they are asking him to take the worst deal ever for a top 5 pick since the new cba.

IMO that's an extremely dumb move on the Chargers part. It's not wise to go around pissing off a guy you just drafted 3rd overall and hope he's going to be a cornerstone of that defense. But then after the mess they made of the Weddle situation last year, I can't say this is surprising.

As much as I support them being able to run their business, the part that I see being dumb is really on the bonus...I do understand cash flow, but they can put their hands on $17 mil...worst case give him 50% at signing and the other 50% in NOV/DEC when you have some gate $ coming in...not yielding on either point is not really negotiating in good faith.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but from the player's stand point...The offset really has no bearing on them if they perform, and if they don't, they're going to take a big hit in pay regardless.

The bonus cash...yeah I get that, but if it's guaranteed and I'm getting half at signing and half the following March...I'm probably going sign and be in camp, but that's just me.
If the other top picks do not have this split, I would question it and maybe not sign. Its sounds like he wants to be treated like everyone else, nothing special but the owners want their own special way. That is their right but if this is the case I am with the player.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the other top picks do not have this split, I would question it and maybe not sign. Its sounds like he wants to be treated like everyone else, nothing special but the owners want their own special way. That is their right but if this is the case I am with the player.

Most 1st round top 15 players seem like they getting it all during the season if not all upfront, so I would compromise there if SD came back and said we'll do 50% at signing and 50% in NOV/DEC.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Diego the Cleveland west team!

The whole purpose of the set draft salary was too get these younger guys in camp and learning, Charger fans have to be pissed!

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bosa gets cut. Is he still bound by the rookie wage scale? Or can teams go as high as they want trying to sign him? This could be very interesting. I don't think he gets cut just throwing this out there.
Why would the Chargers cut him, he doesn't cost a damp thing nor a roster spot. At this point three things can happen. 1. He signs 2. The Chargers trade his rights 3. He reenters the draft on 2017.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with Bosa here, sign the guy San Diego.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most 1st round top 15 players seem like they getting it all during the season if not all upfront, so I would compromise there if SD came back and said we'll do 50% at signing and 50% in NOV/DEC.
If I was him I would compare myself to the other top 5 picks from this year and last and see how that looks. If others were getting a 50/50 I would consider that but if other are getting 100 up front then probably not. But I am not looking at millions so its easier to say.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was him I would compare myself to the other top 5 picks from this year and last and see how that looks. If others were getting a 50/50 I would consider that but if other are getting 100 up front then probably not. But I am not looking at millions so its easier to say.

Yeah...I think the agent is driving some of that, but at the end of the day, it's a personal decision...Even though as a fan it looks like SD is being cheap...I know I would be in camp.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So Ramsay and Goff both got no offsets and 100% bonus up front. The other 2 signed top 5 picks got one or the other. So and it has been similar for all drafts since slotting. Chargers are playing hardball and all they are doing is guaranteeing that they will have to Franchise Bosa to keep him after his rookie contract. Why would he want to stick with them longer than he has to.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFLPA needs to grow a pair and strike so shit like this doesn't happen.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFLPA needs to grow a pair and strike so shit like this doesn't happen.
Yeah, all the other players should sacrifice so that one guy gets what he wants!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, all the other players should sacrifice so that one guy gets what he wants!

It's not one guy that is getting screwed, all the players are getting screwed because of how weak the NFLPA is.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

These things add up. It's not just one guy. I think things could get really ugly in 2020.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These things add up. It's not just one guy. I think things could get really ugly in 2020.
I highly doubt it. Too many players won't be willing to lose out on their paychecks.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt it. Too many players won't be willing to lose out on their paychecks.

Maybe. Or maybe they'll realize that's why they got screwed last time.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh I think it will be like we saw with this last CBA agreement. They will fight it out for a long time but when actual pay checks are being threatened that is the ultimate trump card the NFL Owners have. Most players in the NFL are not making enough to be able to sit out a year or at least haven't saved up enough to handle that. So when those type of players have the majority of the vote then it usually gets done. The super star players that can weather a season are not as numerous as one might think.