• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joe Dumars resigning.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took him long enough.

Are you popping a bottle?

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took him long enough.

Fuckin A. I'm glad to see it became as painful for him to watch this mess, as it did for the rest of us.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took him long enough.

I am choosing to remember Joe in a positive light. In a league built on stars he managed to build a team by trading his stars away. Grant Hill was going to walk away, but Joe pulled out a sign and trade and brought in Ben Wallace. He traded Stackhouse and got Hamilton. He brought in Billups as a journeyman point guard and traded for Rasheed at a time almost no one wanted to touch him. He saw what these guys could do together playing smart basketball. He constructed this crew of a cast off point guard, a jacker two guard, an emaciated SF, a head case power forward, and undersized, no offense center and took down the juggernaut everyone assumed would steamroller them for an NBA championship. His team reached another finals and a total of 6 conference finals. A fine career for any GM.

During his 14 year tenure as GM only 5 other teams have won championships: the Mavs and Celts with one each, like the Pistons, and the usual suspects Lakers, Spurs, and Heat. So not too many GMs can claim to be superior.

I know Dumars has fallen apart, not being able to choose a coach even with Phil Jackson helping, and unable to make good free agent choices. But he leaves this team with good talent on the front line and some other pieces to work with. Although the last few years have disappointed, don't forget the good things that Dinars has done for the Detroit Pistons.

Last edited by a moderator:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumars is an interesting case. The first half of his stint, he was one of the best GMs in the league. His only real blunder was choosing Darko over Melo but even that just looks much worse with the help of hindsight. At the time, it was at least semi-defensable. But around the mid point of his tenure, the wheels totally came off. Just bad deal after bad deal. Nothing he did worked. He was like the guy at the blackjack table that's up 5000 then loses a hand and is down to 2500. Instead of cashing out, he keeps doubling down and next thing you know he's -10,000.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe was great as a player.. Terrible as a GM who got lucky early on..

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This should have happened years ago. Hope he takes Stuckey with him. (Please don't resign him whoever takes over for JoeD, please.)

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This should have happened years ago. Hope he takes Stuckey with him. (Please don't resign him whoever takes over for JoeD, please.)

Watch Isiah Thomas take over and give him a max deal

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch Isiah Thomas take over and give him a max deal

Ughhhhhh, sad thing is..... I can see both of those things happening.(Why anyone would want Zeke involved with their team I don't know. Great player, that's all I got.) Stuckey, or JoeD believing in him, killed this franchise as much as the awful FA signings and Joes love of firing coaches.