• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jimmy G. or Shanahan... Who should shoulder more of the blame?

Jimmy G. or Shanahan... Who should shoulder more of the blame?

• Jimmy G.

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Shanahan

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • They both stunk it up in the 4th and deserve equal blame

Votes: 20 30.3%

• Total voters

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but you must call the obviuos stuff. It's a flaw with the NFL, and makes it a bit hard to watch at times.

Should put in place the Belichick rule. Make every single play reviewable, but keep the amount of reviews the same as it is now.

I'm not saying they called a great game or a terrible game. What I'm saying is it looked as if they called it the same on both sides.

Every play...I think they can make every play with a flag reviewable...I assume that's what you mean, but even plays where no flag was thrown...IDK. If no flag was thrown I see it being much like the challenge flag now where 99% are not overturned.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Endzone DPI...maybe face guarding is legal. I thought he was making contact with Kelce in the endzone when the ball was enroute. Couple that with not making any attempt to locate or make a play on the ball...imo it deserved a flag.

That's what I agree with and if he had turned no flag most likely. I didn't really like that call. But the highlighted makes it more plausible

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying they called a great game or a terrible game. What I'm saying is it looked as if they called it the same on both sides.

Every play...I think they can make every play with a flag reviewable...I assume that's what you mean, but even plays where no flag was thrown...IDK. If no flag was thrown I see it being much like the challenge flag now where 99% are not overturned.

Bill's point was if you are going to review anything, then you should make everything reviewable. It's a complete mess the way they are doing it now. The best example of what a mess it's become is the PI reviewability this season.

Also calling it the same on both sides, still sucks if it's bad officiating. And just to be clear, my complaint is about the NFL as a whole, not just this game. Their is no consitency in the NFL officiating.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahan EASILY.

"Hmm we are averaging 7.3 YPC in the first half... KCs defense is one of the worst in the league against the run. We have a 20-10 lead... I KNOW, LET'S START PASSING BECAUSE WE'RE PAYING THIS MEDIOCRE QB A TON OF MONEY DERPERLKJ!"

Shanahan is easily the biggest choke artist in NFL history at this point. Pulled the same shit in Atlanta.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know man, they made Mahomes look as bad as he has ever looked and then some. That's just not an offense that can be stopped by a defense for 4 quarters when it is healthy.

IDT Mahomes looked as bad as ever. Not a great game by any means. Some errant passes for sure. The one pick was a bad pass slightly behind...the other he just never saw the LB sliding underneath. The 49er DEF made Mahomes work for it as any good DEF would.

Big Red wasn't too concerned...reportedly, after the 2nd pick, Reid told Mahomes...trust your eyes, and keep firing.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill's point was if you are going to review anything, then you should make everything reviewable. It's a complete mess the way they are doing it now. The best example of what a mess it's become is the PI reviewability this season.

Also calling it the same on both sides, still sucks if it's bad officiating. And just to be clear, my complaint is about the NFL as a whole, not just this game. Their is no consitency in the NFL officiating.

Well, true, but if it's called the same way on both sides, players can and will adjust. That said, I didn't see it as being that bad to be honest.

I'm all for getting it "right", but I don't care how many reviews you give the coaches, we're never going to be able to get it 100% right without slowing the game down to a crawl.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the default response is to lay the blame on is Shanahan, but JG looked like shit when it counted. The coach calls the plays and the players have to execute. Shanahan put his trust in JG to go out there and win the game.

I think the real reason for the loss was the Chiefs were just the better team. They deserved to win. Pat Mahomes is the truth. Game on the line and he clutched in a big way.

However, for the sake of argument, I am interested to see what the collective thinks.
I mostly disagree with all of this.
He didn't have to. He didn't do it when he should have. At the end of the first half.

I think that San Fran is the better team. KC has the better QB, but San Fran is better all around. Kyle messed this game up.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the default response is to lay the blame on is Shanahan, but JG looked like shit when it counted. The coach calls the plays and the players have to execute. Shanahan put his trust in JG to go out there and win the game.

I think the real reason for the loss was the Chiefs were just the better team. They deserved to win. Pat Mahomes is the truth. Game on the line and he clutched in a big way.

However, for the sake of argument, I am interested to see what the collective thinks.
I'm inclined to agree more with your last comment and credit KC as opposed to look for blame, but I get that's what sports fans do so I'll play along.....

I would blame JG more than Shanahan for the reasons you gave. The playcall is not fail to see an open Kittle or overthrow Sanders. That is on JG.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I agree with and if he had turned no flag most likely. I didn't really like that call. But the highlighted makes it more plausible

Yep...if he turns and tries to make a play on the ball, I think they allow that contact and no flag.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahan is the only answer.

He already knows what he has, or doesn't have, in Jimmy G. He is supposed to know his team's strength and how he wants to attack his opponent.

Jimmy G didn't fail to go for points at the end of the half or abandon the run to take the clock down with a lead late.

That was all on coach.
The strength in that game was play action passing, too.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to blame Shanahan when Jimmy G couldn't execute the plays... Misses a Wide Open E. Sanders for a go ahead score... That was a brilliant play call from Shan...

However, ultimately the HC shoulders the blame...

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahan is the only answer.

He already knows what he has, or doesn't have, in Jimmy G. He is supposed to know his team's strength and how he wants to attack his opponent.

Jimmy G didn't fail to go for points at the end of the half or abandon the run to take the clock down with a lead late.

That was all on coach.

Exactly. Shanahan blew it big time. Refusing to go for points at the end of the first half will always be remembered.

Jimmy G is not thought of as a great QB (and likely never will), so he pretty much met people's expectations last might. Shanahan defied expectations and logic.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mostly disagree with all of this.
He didn't have to. He didn't do it when he should have. At the end of the first half.

I think that San Fran is the better team. KC has the better QB, but San Fran is better all around. Kyle messed this game up.

I thought SF was the most complete team, but idk about "better" because the KC DEF played much better late in the season and the OFC/QB was playing at an elite level.

In fact I called it the elite QB/OFC vs the very good SF DEF.

I put it more on Kyle as well, when they had chances to widen the gap, there were times in the 4th Qtr when he got away from the bread and butter, and both times the result was a fairly quick punt.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy benefited from a good team round him, I don't think he sucks or anything, he makes some good throws, but every time I saw pressure on him this year he looked rattled, it's just that the Niners can run the ball so dam well and play good defense he never had much pressure on him... When the Niners get that running game rolling Jimmy just play actions passes and usually just throws to who-ever is one on one because most teams start creeping up to stop the run... He's benefited BIG time from that... He fits there system good though, it's worked.. As far as this loss, some has to go to Shanahan, he abandoned the run when the 49rs had it working... Niners defense also get's some blame also, they blew some coverages in big moments...

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought SF was the most complete team, but idk about "better" because the KC DEF played much better late in the season and the OFC/QB was playing at an elite level.

In fact I called it the elite QB/OFC vs the very good SF DEF.

I put it more on Kyle as well, when they had chances to widen the gap, there were times in the 4th Qtr when he got away from the bread and butter, and both times the result was a fairly quick punt.

Yeah, agreed. Shanahan got outcoached far worse than Jimmy G got outplayed by Mahomes. Stats don't usually tell the whole story, but at the end of the day, both QBs had mediocre stats for a modern NFL game.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do we insist on blaming the QB when the defense gives up 21 points in 8 minutes? Just stop. The Niners D cost them the game. They played great for 3.5 quarters and shitty for 8 minutes. That was enough

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The strength in that game was play action passing, too.
Exactly, and that is what you have in JimmyG at this point. Very similar to what LA has in Jared Goff. Without that play action to hold the pass rush or the trick run plays ( and the push pass is nothing more than a run play imo), these kids really can't read the defenses and create plays or make the plays that are open. That's not a knock on them either. It's just the way it is. Shanahan knows what he has at this point and his clock management leaves a lot to be desired as well. I can understand wanting the big play to swing momentum but he doesn't have the horse to get it.
I also think we saw the Chiefs front, especially Chris Jones realize where JimmyG always goes with his hot read. Down the middle short. I think I counted 2 blocked passes and maybe 3-4 tips late in the game. And when you get in JimmyG's face, he will throw it up for grabs like Goff, Cousins, etc.
We can second guess and play Monday morning QB (and we will) all day long but when Mahomes hit Hill for that 44 yarder, the game was essentially in the Chiefs hands. It gave Mahomes his mojo back and the Niners D was reeling.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do we insist on blaming the QB when the defense gives up 21 points in 8 minutes? Just stop. The Niners D cost them the game. They played great for 3.5 quarters and shitty for 8 minutes. That was enough
You don't think fatigue and being put back on the field after 3 and outs don't play a huge factor in that?

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's definitely Jimmy. Shanahan called plays that got dudes open, WIDE open. And Garoppolo couldn't get it done.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think fatigue and being put back on the field after 3 and outs don't play a huge factor in that?
No . If theyd gottrn stops they wouldnt have been on the field as long . Its not like KC had 40 minutes time of possession . Through 3Qs the time of possession was basically even . The D just played a shitty 4Q. Its happens