• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jimmy G. or Shanahan... Who should shoulder more of the blame?

Jimmy G. or Shanahan... Who should shoulder more of the blame?

• Jimmy G.

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Shanahan

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • They both stunk it up in the 4th and deserve equal blame

Votes: 20 30.3%

• Total voters

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the default response is to lay the blame on is Shanahan, but JG looked like shit when it counted. The coach calls the plays and the players have to execute. Shanahan put his trust in JG to go out there and win the game.

I think the real reason for the loss was the Chiefs were just the better team. They deserved to win. Pat Mahomes is the truth. Game on the line and he clutched in a big way.

However, for the sake of argument, I am interested to see what the collective thinks.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Qbs are different when they get a pass rush in their face.

Shanahan did a great job of protecting JG from the Chiefs pass rush while Mahomes had Bosa and company in his face all day. Once Shanahan put the ball in JGs hands to go win the game, he couldn't get it done.

I'm generally a firm believer in giving the defense the credit if the QB is established. IF JG has a good career then I think most people will look back and blame Shanahan. If JG doesn't have a good career then I think the narrative might flip.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahan is the only answer.

He already knows what he has, or doesn't have, in Jimmy G. He is supposed to know his team's strength and how he wants to attack his opponent.

Jimmy G didn't fail to go for points at the end of the half or abandon the run to take the clock down with a lead late.

That was all on coach.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He already knows what he has, or doesn't have, in Jimmy G. He is supposed to know his team's strength and how he wants to attack his opponent.

Jimmy G didn't fail to go for points at the end of the half or abandon the run to take the clock down with a lead late.

That was all on coach.
I mostly agree but Jimmy G is the franchise QB. He isn't a rookie contract QB. He isn't a backup QB just barely making it. He is a franchise QB. Franchise QB should always shoulder some blame if they lose.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No potato salad option, therefore the poll is invalid.

Also, the Niners Def should get the most of the blame.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No potato salad option, therefore the poll is invalid.

Also, the Niners Def should get the most of the blame.
I don't know man, they made Mahomes look as bad as he has ever looked and then some. That's just not an offense that can be stopped by a defense for 4 quarters when it is healthy.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was all on coach.
This is a good argument. When you consider the end of the half, especially.

Why on earth do you sit on the ball with 3 TO’s and almost 2 minutes in a tie game? Maybe he didn’t trust JG in that situation...

But then when the game is really on the line he does trust him? :noidea:

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know man, they made Mahomes look as bad as he has ever looked and then some. That's just not an offense that can be stopped by a defense for 4 quarters when it is healthy.

You gotta hold when you have a lead in the 4th. This isn't a Pop Warner game, it's the Super Bowl.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They gave up 21 points in the last 7 minutes of the game and you completely ignore the defense when looking for blame? LOL. Try again.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mostly agree but Jimmy G is the franchise QB. He isn't a rookie contract QB. He isn't a backup QB just barely making it. He is a franchise QB. Franchise QB should always shoulder some blame if they lose.
What where his stats in the other playoff games?

Their formula is to run or take short high percentage passes to kittle or one of their other receivers and rely on YAC.

They didn't stick to the formula late. It smelled of panic in the play calling.

That's coaching

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy G doesn't get paid $28M a year to be a game manager. He crumbled in the big moments while both QB's didn't play well, Mahomes stepped up in the biggest moments. Considering Mahomes was facing a nasty pass rush all game and Jimmy G was protected well most of the night...Jimmy G played a much worse game by far. The only throws he could make were the only wide open off of playaction. Something like 14 of 16 on play action and a lot of YAC yards by his WR's

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the default response is to lay the blame on is Shanahan, but JG looked like shit when it counted. The coach calls the plays and the players have to execute. Shanahan put his trust in JG to go out there and win the game.

I think the real reason for the loss was the Chiefs were just the better team. They deserved to win. Pat Mahomes is the truth. Game on the line and he clutched in a big way.

However, for the sake of argument, I am interested to see what the collective thinks.

Shanahan.

I posted this to someone earlier, but I think it was the turning point in the game momentum wise. When the game was heavily tilted into SF's favor...up 20-10 with 11:57 in the 4th the 49ers got the 2nd Mahomes pick. A little less the 3 mins later, KC had the ball back, still down 2 possessions but otherwise no real harm done.

Now...6:08 in the 4th, SF up 20-17, after a positive run on 1st down, SF passes on 2nd and it was batted down bringing up 3rd and 5, KC brought heat forcing an incomplete pass, they punted the ball back to KC with 5:18 left in the 4th...not even 1 min has run off the clock.

On both of those possessions, they had opportunities to widen the lead and it really seemed like SF got away what was working...I know Shanny wanted to deliver a dagger when they got the INT up 20-10...they got a 1st down then went away from the run and it forced them into a known passing down and they couldn't execute.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy G doesn't get paid $28M a year to be a game manager. He crumbled in the big moments while both QB's didn't play well, Mahomes stepped up in the biggest moments. Considering Mahomes was facing a nasty pass rush all game and Jimmy G was protected well most of the night...Jimmy G played a much worse game by far. The only throws he could make were the only wide open off of playaction. Something like 14 of 16 on play action and a lot of YAC yards by his WR's

Mahomes had the advantage that the refs weren't going to call any holding penalties in this game. There were numerous ones that were agregious, such as a fully stretched out jersey keeping the defender from getting to the QB, type stuff.

Not placing blame on the refs, but they clearly weren't going to call the penalties that often times can be considered objective.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The talent gap at QB was exposed as the pressure mounted in the game. You can blame Shanahan, and I think that may be fair, but he was trying to manage the talent gap. He played the cards he was dealt and nearly won a ring. Next year, this team with a few other additions might win it. But you still have the fundamental problem of a mediocre Qb for championship football. Not bad, just mediocre and somewhat inexperienced.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What where his stats in the other playoff games?

Their formula is to run or take short high percentage passes to kittle or one of their other receivers and rely on YAC.

They didn't stick to the formula late. It smelled of panic in the play calling.

That's coaching

Actually I saw on several plays, Kittle was open and Jimmy G missed him. It's difficult to run it every play when need to go 80 yards on a 2 minute drill especially when it's 2nd and long. I think we have to give credit to KC's defense, they really did adjust over the course of the game. SF was still dominant running the ball at over 6 yards per carry but Deebo had 50+ of the 141 yards.
Gotta give credit to the Chiefs defense, put blame on Jimmy G and Shanahan but it comes down to finding your guys and making the throws. Jimmy G crumbled in the end.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mahomes had the advantage that the refs weren't going to call any holding penalties in this game. There were numerous ones that were agregious, such as a fully stretched out jersey keeping the defender from getting to the QB, type stuff.

Not placing blame on the refs, but they clearly weren't going to call the penalties that often times can be considered objective.

While this is true, it went both ways. I saw a bunch of potential holding penalties on the Niners in the run game that didn't get called earlier in this contest.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well...the salary wouldn't indicate that, but their game plan kinda does. The NFC playoff games he barely passed it 25 times combined. It really showed when suddenly SF was behind...and the game was on his shoulders, Jimmy G never looked comfortable.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No.

I saw plenty of holds on SF on those outside runs. It goes both ways

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While this is true, it went both ways. I saw a bunch of potential holding penalties on the Niners in the run game that didn't get called earlier in this contest.

And it has a major impact on the game. It's one of the problems with the NFL, inconsistent from one game to the next.