• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jimmie Ward pick reviews from media

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody else would have taken this guy this early, especially since he is injured. They could have gotten lee and then this cat Ward in the second.

Wasn't Lee injured part of last year? His productivity took a big dip. Ward ran a 4.46 with an injured foot. He wanted to show how fast he could run. That should show you how competitive and tough he is. Niners might still get Lee, but I would rather have Matthews or Latimore.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Negatives

• Lacks NFL size, with his weight and frame being a concern. With how he hits and how often he spends time in the box, his durability is a concern.
  • Takes poor angles in run support, often over-pursuing when crashing down as a safety. This may improve if he plays the position more consistently.
  • Eye discipline is still developing, as a quarterback’s eyes can move him on play action. He was responsible for blowing a few coverages in 2013 due to lack of discipline.
  • Rarely played as a single-high safety, which is what NFL teams covet right now. He’s more of a do-it-all player than someone who plays in a specialized role. That’s a positive, but not every team can afford to invest in a player without a defined position.
  • Loses track of receivers in zone coverage. He tends to wander without awareness of where the closest man is.
  • Can be too physical downfield, continuing contact with his man as far as 15 yards downfield. He has to jam and disrupt much earlier than that to avoid penalties.
  • Rarely played good competition at quarterback and wide receiver. He’s going to have to catch up to speed quickly
Positives

• Great downfield speed, both in games and at his pro day, where he ran a 4.47-second 40-yard dash despite needing surgery on his foot.
  • Very fluid athlete with clean hips. This allows him to be a solid cornerback or safety without being a mismatch for the defense.
  • Short-area burst helps him close quickly on the ball. He breaks toward the ball almost instantly, getting into position for an interception or pass defense.
  • Quick feet and balanced technique during his backpedal. He doesn’t waste steps in coverage. He’s able to pivot and explode toward the ball.
  • Recognizes plays quickly and fairly consistently, allowing him to break toward the line of scrimmage or back into coverage with his first step.
  • Great versatility, as he often lined up as a slot cornerback to take advantage of his lateral agility while also seeing time at both safety spots.
  • Showed good functional strength and hand placement when in press coverage. He wins at the line of scrimmage, which is very important for cornerbacks.
  • Well-rounded athlete who mirrors receivers well in man coverage. He stays on the hip of his assignment and breaks up passes at the last second, using physical traits.
  • Solid ball skills that evolved throughout his career. He totaled seven interceptions in 2013 and showed the ability to high-point with timing and steal the ball from bigger receivers.
  • Limits yards after reception because he’s an excellent tackler. He wraps up and hits low, using his body to effectively stop the ball-carrier.
  • Has the physical ability to make up for mental mistakes, a trait of all good playmaking defensive backs.
  • Anticipates routes well, baiting the quarterback to throw and then jumping the route.
  • Excellent production throughout his career, almost notching three consecutive 100-tackle seasons as a defensive back, which is incredible. He plays inside the box well, willing to take on blockers and ball-carriers.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 8 reps on Bench. Needs to add strength if he wants to play in the NFL.

Kendal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
edit: wrong thread

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Lee injured part of last year? His productivity took a big dip. Ward ran a 4.46 with an injured foot. He wanted to show how fast he could run. That should show you how competitive and tough he is. Niners might still get Lee, but I would rather have Matthews or Latimore.

Yes. Injured his knee. But when healthy he was the most dominant receiver in the country. As for Lattimer, never, never draft a receiver from the Big Ten. Have we not learned from the Jenkins fiasco?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJCN2kOy4Uk&feature=player_embedded]Jimmie Ward vs Florida State (2013 Bowl) - YouTube[/ame]

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK

1. It's Latimer, not Latimore.... LOL you guys are killing me in several threads haha

2. if we cant incorporate LMJ how does Archer pan different? not that i'm against speed but where's the difference?

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm acutally starting to like this pick more and more. Seems like a lot fans do not like it but a lot of draft analysis sites and experts have some positive things to say.

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm acutally starting to like this pick more and more. Seems like a lot fans do not like it but a lot of draft analysis sites and experts have some positive things to say.

Me too. Was completely puzzled. Not pissed, puzzled. There was a lot of chatter about Joyner-Safety/CB hybrid for the Nickel-I didn't even consider Ward. But it makes complete sense. Maiocco just tweeted the exact thing.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Two other small notes: Jimmie Ward put on 14 lbs. from January 1st to March 7th. He was 183 lbs. at the start of his training. Both of his broad jumps ranked just outside the top 10 best since 2006 among all DBs.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this pick is going to pan out just fine, the kid is a football player with very good athletic ability.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think this pick is going to pan out just fine, the kid is a football player with very good athletic ability.

after reading the articles on him, yeah he'll be fine as the NB.

but Baalke made it clear he isn't slated for CB, so the small "issue" for me is.............why spend a 1st rounder on a part-time player? Baalke and Harbaugh said 60% is a 'starter', but sorry that doesn't cut it.

it isn't as bad as spending a 1st rounder on an NT (33% snaps?), but still?

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ward seems excited and humble from his interviews, of course he was putting on a good face during that time. He's taking Brown's old number 25.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after reading the articles on him, yeah he'll be fine as the NB.

but Baalke made it clear he isn't slated for CB, so the small "issue" for me is.............why spend a 1st rounder on a part-time player? Baalke and Harbaugh said 60% is a 'starter', but sorry that doesn't cut it.

it isn't as bad as spending a 1st rounder on an NT (33% snaps?), but still?

Cmon Deep. How many snaps did Aldon play in his first season? Many 1st round picks are part time players. The only positions that the Niners could have drafted in the first round that would play more then 60% are CB and C. They got the best C in the 3rd and Ward is essentially a slot CB which was just as important as a CB that plays on the outside. Ward also is also one of the best cover DB's in the draft so I don't understand the hate. Must be because of the S next to his name.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon Deep. How many snaps did Aldon play in his first season? Many 1st round picks are part time players. The only positions that the Niners could have drafted in the first round that would play more then 60% are CB and C. They got the best C in the 3rd and Ward is essentially a slot CB which was just as important as a CB that plays on the outside. Ward also is also one of the best cover DB's in the draft so I don't understand the hate. Must be because of the S next to his name.

Agreed

Deep, what % of snaps would it be acceptable to you for a 1st round pick to play?