• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jim Buss will quit if the Lakers don't contend in 3-4 years

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Lakers won't be relevant again as long as the Buss kids are running the show. Basically a bunch of unskilled brats who couldn't carry daddy's jock. RIP Dr. Buss. YOU knew how to run a successful NBA organization!

Jim has been part of some good moves (the Pau trade) and some that didn't work out (Nash). He's not as terrible as many make him out to be. Jeannie is pretty darn good at what she does as well. Nice relic bump though. Seems to be happening a lot here.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do people honestly really believe him when he says he will "step down?" I certainly don't

I believe him. Plus Jeannie has the ultimate authority to hold him accountable to his words. She'll relieve him of his duties if they are still in the cellar a couple of years from now.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe him. Plus Jeannie has the ultimate authority to hold him accountable to his words. She'll relieve him of his duties if they are still in the cellar a couple of years from now.

Yep, and she's said as much in a couple of interviews. Besides, Lakers fans all know that he said that and there will be a shitstorm if he doesn't.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I shall take your word for it since you know your stuff Lakersrule! Jeannie has more power than him?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I shall take your word for it since you know your stuff Lakersrule! Jeannie has more power than him?

Yes. Her father set up the current power structure with Jeanie running the business side and Jim running the basketball side. She has said that she is honoring her father's desire of the franchise being run this way. Ultimately though, she has the power to fire her brother.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Her father set up the current power structure with Jeanie running the business side and Jim running the basketball side. She has said that she is honoring her father's desire of the franchise being run this way. Ultimately though, she has the power to fire her brother.

Nice! "Suck it brother!" lol

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do people honestly really believe him when he says he will "step down?" I certainly don't

There is a clause that the siblings can vote him out if he isn't performing up to par.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a clause that the siblings can vote him out if he isn't performing up to par.
If they were to remain a cellar team and miss the playoffs two or three years in a row, the siblings might revolt, but lets face the facts. If both Jeannie and Jim were to be voted out of there, then who would run the company? I think you're stuck with the current face of the Lakers for at least another five years before anyone would be in jeopardy of being forced out. That's just not going to happen. The loss of Dr Buss is something that it will take time to over-come no matter how much they were prepared for it. I would feel more comfortable with the new face if they had been smart enough to bring Phil Jackson in, but Jim Buss chased Jerry West away years ago and then chased Phil away and the best we got for an answer was support of Jim by Jeannie.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they were to remain a cellar team and miss the playoffs two or three years in a row, the siblings might revolt, but lets face the facts. If both Jeannie and Jim were to be voted out of there, then who would run the company? I think you're stuck with the current face of the Lakers for at least another five years before anyone would be in jeopardy of being forced out. That's just not going to happen. The loss of Dr Buss is something that it will take time to over-come no matter how much they were prepared for it. I would feel more comfortable with the new face if they had been smart enough to bring Phil Jackson in, but Jim Buss chased Jerry West away years ago and then chased Phil away and the best we got for an answer was support of Jim by Jeannie.

I never said Jeanie would be voted out. You might want to try reading a little better, just a suggestion.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, and she already clearly stated, if she doesn't see results with this 3 year plan, which we are in year 1, she will fire Jim. But that might not happen since he already said he would just step down. We shall see.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said Jeanie would be voted out. You might want to try reading a little better, just a suggestion.
I didn't say you did - I just pointed out that Jeannie and Jim are running the show and neither one are likely to be voted out in anything less than a five year run which resulted in the Lakers missing the playoffs for the most part. I think that partly because it's a new ownership and also because there is a big empty vacuum with no one any better. It's not like one of the other kids are even remotely interested. I simply don't think Jim will be leaving any time soon no matter what happens. Now in about three or four years if Jim had failure after failure - I think they would sit down and discuss it, but I really do believe that the Lakers will gradually get better. It might happen fast, but I think it may take longer than most people are expecting. Dr Buss was a genius in his own rights and the people he had under him were geniuses as well. The kids are not.