• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jim Buss will quit if the Lakers don't contend in 3-4 years

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers owner and head of basketball operations Jim Buss says he told his family business during a January business meeting that he will step down if the Lakers do not return to contention within "three or fours years." From the Los Angeles Times:
"I was laying myself on the line by saying, if this doesn't work in three to four years, if we're not back on the top — and the definition of top means contending for the Western Conference, contending for a championship — then I will step down because that means I have failed," he told The Times about the meeting. "I don't know if you can fire yourself if you own the team … but what I would say is I'd walk away and you guys figure out who's going to run basketball operations because I obviously couldn't do the job.
"There's no question in my mind we will accomplish success. I'm not worried about putting myself on the line."

Lakers' Jim Buss: I'll quit if club doesn't contend 'in 3 or 4 years' - CBSSports.com

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He must have gotten that idea from Swaggy P saying he was the best SG in the league. Gotta love the confidence.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He must have gotten that idea from Swaggy P saying he was the best SG in the league. Gotta love the confidence.

He has said all along that the Lakers have a plan to get back into contention quickly. Glad to see he's willing to back it up.

Win/win for Lakers fans.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess he will be here for a minute :nod:

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is he conducting another PR spin ? I need enlightenment.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has said all along that the Lakers have a plan to get back into contention quickly. Glad to see he's willing to back it up.

Win/win for Lakers fans.

Seems like he has done everything contrary to that. :laugh3:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like he has done everything contrary to that. :laugh3:

True. According to him though, they knew this type of season was coming, the injuries just made it worse than they expected.

We'll see. The next couple of off-seasons are going to be very interesting.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. According to him though, they knew this type of season was coming, the injuries just made it worse than they expected.

We'll see. The next couple of off-seasons are going to be very interesting.

2 things working in their favor are history and location.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contention by whose standards? If Lakers show any sign of improvements, then he can point that towards "contention".

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a bunch of hot air, but I'll say this....it's always Mitch Kupchak this, Jeanie Buss that, when it comes to public statements about the Lakers. While I don't put alot of stock into it, Jim Buss FINALLY came out and atleast said SOMETHING...and I commend him for that. What he NEEDS to do is put basketball people around him like his dad did.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you gotta give Jim Buss credit for being bold enough to say something like that, but lets get real: If the Lakers make the playoffs at all, he will be saying the Lakers are in contention and his job will be safe and we already know that will happen, so he isn't gambling much

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contention by whose standards? If Lakers show any sign of improvements, then he can point that towards "contention".

He says that by contention, he means back in the WCF and contending for titles. I'll give him credit because he didn't have to put himself out there like that. Tells me that whatever the plan is, he has confidence that it will work.

Now we just have to see if it actually does work.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to hear how Lakers fans want view it, but it just looks like a PR stunt to me. Why discuss his next steps and why discuss risk of failure............now? Odds are (barring LBJ getting signed) he wont be in contention for a championship for the 2016/17 year.

Is this to appease Kobe?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to hear how Lakers fans want view it, but it just looks like a PR stunt to me. Why discuss his next steps and why discuss risk of failure............now? Odds are (barring LBJ getting signed) he wont be in contention for a championship for the 2016/17 year.

Is this to appease Kobe?

He has been getting skewered out here ever since he hired D'Antoni over Phil. In fact, it's probably a tie right now between him and D'Antoni for who is most unpopular.

In the off-season, with no other distractions for Lakers fans and the media, it will only get worse. I think he probably did it just to get everyone to back off for awhile.

Like I said, win/win for Lakers fans. Best case scenario, he really does have a plan that actually works and the Lakers are back in contention quickly.

Worst case, his plan doesn't work, he steps down and actual basketball people like Mitch Kupchak start running the basketball operations side and the re-build ends up taking a couple more seasons.

I doubt it would be to appease Kobe. Kobe only has 2 years left on his contract and has seemed pretty solid on retiring after that. So, to appease Kobe, he'd have to have said he'll step down if the Lakers don't contend in the next 2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point Trojan. But I still wonder if Kobe would go a little longer, assuming he gets back into healthy shape.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point Trojan. But I still wonder if Kobe would go a little longer, assuming he gets back into healthy shape.

Anything is possible. He has sounded pretty certain and even said that prior to last season was the first time he questioned whether or not he wanted to put himself through the same routine that he normally does in the off-season.

Having said that, Kobe is competitive almost to the point of mental illness:lol: and loves a challenge. So, with all of the people doubting his ability to come back, if he comes back and plays at a high level, I could see him looking to play another season or 2.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to remind everyone not to get excited - Jim Buss will find a way to spin it and stay put - Granted that he might find people to help him with his decisions, or he may even defer to Jeannie more and let her make more of the decisions - but this "I will fire myself" crap is not going to happen and in time he is going to get better at it.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Lakers won't be relevant again as long as the Buss kids are running the show. Basically a bunch of unskilled brats who couldn't carry daddy's jock. RIP Dr. Buss. YOU knew how to run a successful NBA organization!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do people honestly really believe him when he says he will "step down?" I certainly don't