• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jay Gruden favorite for Jags HC job

icehole3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
he wont be here long

Jay Gruden favorite for Jags HC job

Report: Jay Gruden favorite for Jags HC job - Rotoworld.com

NFL Network's Albert Breer has heard "continually" that Bengals OC Jay Gruden is the favorite to be the Jaguars' next head coach.
Jacksonville has targeted almost strictly offensive coordinators in its coaching search. Jon's younger brother, Jay Gruden has earned a reputation for tutoring young quarterbacks via his work with Andy Dalton. Gruden cannot interview with the Jaguars until after Saturday's game against Houston, at soonest, but it sounds like he's still high on Jacksonville's short list. Gruden would implement a "horizontal" West Coast offense after Blaine Gabbert played his first year in Dirk Koetter's (theoretically) vertical-based scheme.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He certainly hasn't earned it. This rumor has been floating for 6 months, though.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone that has watched his offense over the past 2 months can't come away impressed..... I give him credit for his handling of Dalton, but his inability to get anything from the run game and failures in the redzone need to be considered.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It was posted on Twitter yesterday that that rumor is not true.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a guy writing about this before he was even hired by the Bengals. I don't know if it's the same guy or not...but that "rumor" has been floating out there nearly all season long.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not saying its a done deal, but when did Gruden announce his undying loyalty to the Bengals? of course we can't say its true yet, the Bengals still have at least one game to play. we're smarter than the rest of the sheep, come on.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are things to like about Gruden's offense, like the route combinations that often bring someone wide open, but he also must be held responsible for the poor td percentage in the red zone.....part of the problem is the poor line play, but it's still on the OC....I wouldn't think that one season of "success" lines him up for a HC job.....even though the rumors have been persistent....

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was impressed with Dalton and his ability to protect the ball in the redzone.

He was like 60% completion and 15 TD's and 0 INT's I think. That is pretty damn good from a rookie QB with a squeezed field.

augustisback003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Looks like it may not be a rumor after all.

excerpt~

The Jacksonville Jaguars have contacted Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden about their head coach vacancy, according to two sources with knowledge of the situation.

Gruden told the Jaguars that while he's interested, he wants to focus on Saturday's AFC Wild Card Game against the Houston Texans. The Jaguars are still expected to bring Gruden in for an interview, but the coach is aware of the risk he is taking in waiting. Gruden was told he's a strong candidate for the opening, according to sources.

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora and Mike Lombardi reported that the Jaguars have requested permission to interview New York Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, New England Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien, Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski and Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey for the job.

The Florida Times Union reported the Jaguars have interest in Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Mike McCoy.

Gruden, who has spent the bulk of his professional life in Florida, is viewed as a major influence in Bengals rookie quarterback Andy Dalton's success this season. Gruden would likewise be considered a key asset for Jacksonville, where the development of quarterback Blaine Gabbert is a top priority.

NFL.com news: Jaguars have strong interest in Bengals OC Gruden

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I posted this in another thread, but yes, they seem to want Gruden if possible. The longer the Bengals stay in action this post season, the more likely it is that they'll hire somebody else.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
For us to advance in the playoffs, Dalton is going to have to play well. The better Dalton plays, imo the more intriguing Gruden becomes. It's very early in the offseason (for most teams), there really is no rush in filling vacancies for anyone. I expect most to be filled after the Superbowl.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He did a good job with the Bengals offense. He obviously hasn't paid his dues as of yet, but he has name-recognition, and a check mark for helping with the develpment of a very good rookie QB... Two huge factors in his favor...

with the success of Harbaugh in SF (that the best coaching job in recent memory imo) I'm suprised College coaches aren't being given more of a look as early canidates

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He's better than Brat but that's not saying much. His offense seems pretty vanilla to me. Still dont see him designing plays that take advantage of individual players skill set and that exploit the weakness of the opponent. The best play this year has been just chucking it up to Green

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's better than Brat but that's not saying much. His offense seems pretty vanilla to me. Still dont see him designing plays that take advantage of individual players skill set and that exploit the weakness of the opponent. The best play this year has been just chucking it up to Green

He did throw in a few trick plays, they sucked. He also did a tim tebow impersonation where Dalton faked a hand off twice and ran it. He did actually copy a "wide receiver in motion sweep" that was highlighted on espn by someone and incorporated it into our offense by letting Hawkins run it.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

A rookie QB and a limited offseason installing a new offense explains in part why it looks vanillia. He's done a very good job with the offense imo

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my big issues with him is that on several occasions this season he has left tight ends blocking dominant pass rushers. The game against Houston was particularly memorable. Conner Barwin beat the tight end like a drum, forced a fumble and turned that game around. I've also not been crazy about the redzone play calling.

All that said, I'd love to have him back. I think he has a lot more presnap offense to install -- If you remember Jon's offense, people were always moving and shifting to throw off the defense before the snap. The Bengals have done it a little, but not nearly as much as you would expect after a full offseason.

If he goes, I would prefer to promote James Urban to offensive coordinator. He was the assistant offensive coordinator in Philly and a lot of people thought he would be in line for a job somewhere. In fact, some people were confused as to why he would take a 'demotion' to join the Bengals. Anyway.... It would be easy to keep the same basic offense as Urban was brought on to help teach the west coast.

Gypsumstack

Hoopla Cash
$ 945.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a reputation for tutoring young QBs after one year with one guy? You don't have to do anything to earn a head coaching job in the NFL anymore do you?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a reputation for tutoring young QBs after one year with one guy? You don't have to do anything to earn a head coaching job in the NFL anymore do you?

Agreed. Also, great OC/DC's don't mean they will be good coaches. The ability to run a SMALL part of a team doesn't mean that you will be able to run the team as a WHOLE.

The NFL is littered with former Cord's that failed terribley as head coach for that simple reason.

Jay needs a few years to show he can work his way up to at least assistant coach, and show he can do more than just tutor a young QB, but take the offense as a whole to the next level.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

He was known for the same in the UFL and AFL. QB's have always thrived in his system.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Jay needs a few years to show he can work his way up to at least assistant coach, and show he can do more than just tutor a young QB, but take the offense as a whole to the next level.

He's already worked for years as an assistant under his brother with the Bucs. The next step up from a coordinator is head coach, not assistant coach.

While I agree he hasn't entirely "earned" his stripes yet, but with his overall background, name recognition, and the "success" he's had within the BENGAL's organization (this means a lot to many people), it is no surprise his name is in the mix.