• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jason Day is doing the impossible. Making "player of the year" a horse race.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's impossible to think a guy with not just 2 major wins but also 2 regular tour wins could not win the Player of the year award. But Jason Day is giving everyone a moment of pause.

He's not just winning these events, he's crushing them. Jason Day has 4 wins and 1 major win.

I still think Jordon's 2 major's beats him out but the the season's not over yet.

And check out what Jason Day said this week ...

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's impossible to think a guy with not just 2 major wins but also 2 regular tour wins could not win the Player of the year award. But Jason Day is giving everyone a moment of pause.

He's not just winning these events, he's crushing them. Jason Day has 4 wins and 1 major win.

I still think Jordon's 2 major's beats him out but the the season's not over yet.

if you can't see the link it's on this page

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/jas...ferences-of-all-time-at-the-tour-championship

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fed Ex is really nothing more than a cash grab. Spieth should be POY, regardless of what Day does the rest of the year IMO.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fed Ex is really nothing more than a cash grab. Spieth should be POY, regardless of what Day does the rest of the year IMO.

You do know all these events existed before the Fed Ex cup. They were all part of the regular tour.

This week it's the Tour Championship which started back in the 80's. And as they have done since the 80's they all vote on Sunday night of this event for Player of the year.

In short, the Fed Ex cup has fuck all to do with player of the year.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know all these events existed before the Fed Ex cup. They were all part of the regular tour.

This week it's the Tour Championship which started back in the 80's. And as they have done since the 80's they all vote on Sunday night of this event for Player of the year.

In short, the Fed Ex cup has fuck all to do with player of the year.

These events also meant little before the Fed Ex, and basically the only reason they have relevancy is this trumped up cash grab/playoff system they have going. The PGA 'season' really ends after the PGA Championship, and once Zach Johnson's chance at that tournament ended, so did POY considerations AFAIC, despite Day's awesome play of late.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These events also meant little before the Fed Ex, and basically the only reason they have relevancy is this trumped up cash grab/playoff system they have going. The PGA 'season' really ends after the PGA Championship, and once Zach Johnson's chance at that tournament ended, so did POY considerations AFAIC, despite Day's awesome play of late.

I think you are blinded by your hatred of the Fed Ex Cup. I hated it too for a while but with this cast of characters it it adds a little flavor to it.

The Barclays, Deutsche bank, BMW, the Tour Championship ..these are not and have never been some after thought on the PGA tour.

In your head you don't think these events count for POTY. But in the real world these events factually count in the voting of POTY.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are blinded by your hatred of the Fed Ex Cup. I hated it too for a while but with this cast of characters it it adds a little flavor to it.

The Barclays, Deutsche bank, BMW, the Tour Championship ..these are not and have never been some after thought on the PGA tour.

In your head you don't think these events count for POTY. But in the real world these events factually count in the voting of POTY.

I don't 'hate' the Fed Ex, nor do I believe these post PGA Championship events count for 'nothing' when it comes to votes. I'm simply stating that I believe there really is nothing Day can do to take POY from Spieth. Winning 2 majors in a season is nearly a HOF career....I think it should be a slam dunk to get POY if nobody else won the other 2.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't 'hate' the Fed Ex, nor do I believe these post PGA Championship events count for 'nothing' when it comes to votes. I'm simply stating that I believe there really is nothing Day can do to take POY from Spieth. Winning 2 majors in a season is nearly a HOF career....I think it should be a slam dunk to get POY if nobody else won the other 2.

Jason Day's run was pretty amazing and enough to get the golf world to put Day in the conversation.
But yea, 2 major's in a season is a rare event.

All and all, a spectacular year for the PGA tour.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jason Day's run was pretty amazing and enough to get the golf world to put Day in the conversation.
But yea, 2 major's in a season is a rare event.

All and all, a spectacular year for the PGA tour.

As I've said, Day's play in the last couple of months has been incredible, but Spieth built up a 5 TD lead by halftime. Day needed The Open along with the PGA (along with what he's done recently) to unseat Spieth, or perhaps The Players along with the major, and then there is a conversation. Again IMO.

And yes...it's been a good year for the tour. Not as good as last year, for myself. Looking forward to '16.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I've said, Day's play in the last couple of months has been incredible, but Spieth built up a 5 TD lead by halftime. Day needed The Open along with the PGA (along with what he's done recently) to unseat Spieth, or perhaps The Players along with the major, and then there is a conversation. Again IMO.

And yes...it's been a good year for the tour. Not as good as last year, for myself. Looking forward to '16.

For the over all health of the tour, I think this year beats last year by a lot. Ricky, Rory, Jordan and Day are fan favorites who won this year. But if you put the question to me what year did I enjoy more?

Last year. I like Rory, and to see him win 2 last year was pretty sweet. And it's a tough call to.
The wife is Filipino and we have been pulling for Jason Day for 5 years now.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the over all health of the tour, I think this year beats last year by a lot. Ricky, Rory, Jordan and Day are fan favorites who won this year. But if you put the question to me what year did I enjoy more?

Last year. I like Rory, and to see him win 2 last year was pretty sweet. And it's a tough call to.
The wife is Filipino and we have been pulling for Jason Day for 5 years now.

For the overall health of the tour, I agree....'15 easily. I enjoyed '14 more simply for Martin Kaymer. They talk about 'big 3' and it flips between the four you mention, but the fact is that Kaymer's resume beats em all except for Rory....and he gets practically zero recognition.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the overall health of the tour, I agree....'15 easily. I enjoyed '14 more simply for Martin Kaymer. They talk about 'big 3' and it flips between the four you mention, but the fact is that Kaymer's resume beats em all except for Rory....and he gets practically zero recognition.

Well, what your saying has to be true. I only thought he had one major.

There is no short explanation for how this all goes down. Sometimes it's understandable but more often than not it's extremely unfair.

After Jordan won the Masters the coverage leading up to the US Open was ridiculous. That Wednesday there was this 2 hour segment on the golf channel. They spent a solid hour on Jordan and spent 2 minutes on Rory.

A player who has 4 majors in 4 years got 2 minutes.

Personalities do factor in as well. Martin is somewhat straight faced so that is working against him as well.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personalities do factor in as well. Martin is somewhat straight faced so that is working against him as well.

He's about as German as it gets. I've heard him say that he likes flying under the radar, so it's all good.

As far as Jordan/Rory...yeah...it gets a little tiresome, but it's to be expected. In Spieth, Golf has what most everyone believes is the next one...and being American increases the coverage ten fold. A seemingly great personality doesn't hurt either. Rory is still the current standard however, and should be for some time. When he doesn't win a major, it seems it's doom and gloom for the guy from some in the media.

I'll say this....I'd rather hear about these guys over some soon-to-be 40 year old who isn't even a shell of a shell of his former self, who gets more airtime than anyone else. Again...I get it, but quite tiring.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Jordan made that real easy.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Day needed to show stronger in ATL to win POTY...Spieth winning the Tour Championship, and FedEx Cup in convincing fashion sealed it.

Right now...Jordan, Day, Rory and Rickie are playing the best golf in the world...sprinkle in little Bubba, DJ, and Stenson.

Not a great weekend to play golf in ATL, (especially Sat.) but the course held up well and I was able to hack it up for 18 myself on Sunday.