• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I've now completely switched to a one-hand backhand

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I had shoulder surgery a few years ago, i've played with primarily a one-handed backhand. I have both a slice backhand and a flat backhand. Neither are particularly good, but they are passable. I can hit the slice deep enough and the bounce is low enough that it is almost impossible to hit for a winner. The flat shot has given me problems for years. I hit it primarily as a passing shot, and it can be low over the net and quick, but I have a tendency to make it sail. The one area where it's worked surprisingly well is he first serve return. At some point, i'll go back to playing more and can hopefully get more consistency. My slice is better than my pre-surgery two-hander, but I can't consistently put away short balls without errors like I could with my two-hander.

Switching to a one hander from a two hander - that way traffic is almost non existent. Especially after surgery? Which shoulder was the surgery done? The one handed playing hand? Do you hit with a long backswing or a short backswing? Do you vary grips when preparing for each bh shot and selecting different types of shots (like the flat, topspin, slice etc)? If your ball keeps sailing long with your natural backswing and stroke then you may consider having the string tighter by a couple of pounds.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Switching to a one hander from a two hander - that way traffic is almost non existent. Especially after surgery? Which shoulder was the surgery done? The one handed playing hand? Do you hit with a long backswing or a short backswing? Do you vary grips when preparing for each bh shot and selecting different types of shots (like the flat, topspin, slice etc)? If your ball keeps sailing long with your natural backswing and stroke then you may consider having the string tighter by a couple of pounds.

It's my left shoulder, and I play right handed (although I obviously use the left hand in the backswing). I don't switch grips at all (Eastern backhand for both), although my hands are closer together in the slice backswing. At the moment, i'm not going to switch up anything besides practicing more. My forehand is at a really good place, and i'm not playing enough to try to make drastic changes.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's my left shoulder, and I play right handed (although I obviously use the left hand in the backswing). I don't switch grips at all (Eastern backhand for both), although my hands are closer together in the slice backswing. At the moment, i'm not going to switch up anything besides practicing more. My forehand is at a really good place, and i'm not playing enough to try to make drastic changes.

Are you slicing the backhanded with two hands? Never seen anyone do that. Its much easier with one handed. Just switch the grip to the volley grip and cut. Haven't played in ages. My right shoulder is/was messed up from incorrect service motion. I rehabbed it and now can do 6 pull ups.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you slicing the backhanded with two hands? Never seen anyone do that. Its much easier with one handed. Just switch the grip to the volley grip and cut. Haven't played in ages. My right shoulder is/was messed up from incorrect service motion. I rehabbed it and now can do 6 pull ups.

No, my slice is one-handed. It looks (in form, not result) like Federer's here with the exception of my hands being closer together in the backswing.

[YOUTUBE]_YE-k1QwZfg[/YOUTUBE]

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ran into a little trouble with the one hander this past week. It was giving me trouble and had to adjust it.
I was just putting the racquet head down to start the stroke and brushing up through the ball...like I used to with a 2 hander. But as I started to whale on it, I had problems accelerating the racquet without things going wrong somewhere in the middle of the stroke. Without the 2nd hand there, it felt like I was dragging the racquet up to speed instead of swinging it.

So, I changed the backswing to be like Federer's above - where I hold the racquet up then swing down to start the stroke. That way there is already some head speed there when starting the upswing.

Hard to explain...works much better though. Used to start it here:

Safin3.jpg

Now it's Googa:

guga.gif

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ran into a little trouble with the one hander this past week. It was giving me trouble and had to adjust it.
I was just putting the racquet head down to start the stroke and brushing up through the ball...like I used to with a 2 hander. But as I started to whale on it, I had problems accelerating the racquet without things going wrong somewhere in the middle of the stroke. Without the 2nd hand there, it felt like I was dragging the racquet up to speed instead of swinging it.

So, I changed the backswing to be like Federer's above - where I hold the racquet up then swing down to start the stroke. That way there is already some head speed there when starting the upswing.

Hard to explain...works much better though. Used to start it here:

Safin3.jpg

Now it's Googa:

guga.gif

Guga's is one of the best one handers. Gaudio is up there too. Gasquet, Wawrinka, Becker all played it as a power shot. Federer is more finnesse.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thread.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The bitch for me has been remember to rotate the shit outta' my shoulders...otherwise the one hander just doesn't work well. That's something I didn't need to think about, ever, with a 2 hander for some reason. To turn far enough so the opponent can see your back on every backhand, even on the run, is clearly the hardest part of the shot.
<or maybe I'm just a 'tard or lazy - keep fucking forgetting!>

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any more updates in this thread?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guga's is one of the best one handers. Gaudio is up there too. Gasquet, Wawrinka, Becker all played it as a power shot. Federer is more finnesse.

I think he does the backhand as both power or finesse, depending on how he wants to play the shot.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Federer has really improved this shot in the past year after switching racquets to a larger sweet spot. I think part of the reason it took him this long to get another major was getting used to the new frame.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried to switch to a one hander back when I broke my left wrist. I was stubborn and didn't want to let it heal all the way before getting back on the court. I sacrificed a lot of power and had a hard time against weak shots to my backhand side. It then fucked up my form when I tried going back to a two-hander. I think I am finally starting to get back to a good feeling on my backhand, but it really messed up my game.

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hit my BH one handed. It's by far my best shot.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hit my BH one handed. It's by far my best shot.
it's such a simple windshield wiper motion, not a lot of mechanics behind it.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hit them all. Usually 1 handed when stretched out wide.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hit them all. Usually 1 handed when stretched out wide.

I want to watch someone who uses both a 1 handed and 2 handed backhand, both often.