• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I've now completely switched to a one-hand backhand

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...except on return of serve. I don't know why it works so much better when whaling a backhand return? It seems to allow better placement as well.

Anyway, it seems I don't play that many people, anymore, that hit heavy topspin. Getting old and fat and miserable, it's just easier to hit a low backhand single handed. I was hitting too many slice backhands against all these flat baseline shots. The conversion was a lot easier than I thought it would be...a few lessons and several meetings with the ball machine.

backhand_rg.gif

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You bitches prolly' don't even play the tennis.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...except on return of serve. I don't know why it works so much better when whaling a backhand return? It seems to allow better placement as well.

Anyway, it seems I don't play that many people, anymore, that hit heavy topspin. Getting old and fat and miserable, it's just easier to hit a low backhand single handed. I was hitting too many slice backhands against all these flat baseline shots. The conversion was a lot easier than I thought it would be...a few lessons and several meetings with the ball machine.

backhand_rg.gif

Is it me or does he double hit the ball? If not that's a lot of down spin.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it me or does he double hit the ball? If not that's a lot of down spin.

When you hit it, it feels like you're stroking through the ball when your arm is really going up...being attached n' all.

It's so complicated. The highest power and accuracy comes from striking the ball right when it reaches his right foot. His arm is moving upward and the ball smashes right into the strings and generates topspin right at that millisecond when it's sunken into the strings.

federerwins460276.jpg

If he was moving forward there's be less spin (and more speed) and vice versa. Falling backward like this will create a more loopy, defensive shot with a lot of spin which gives have a fraction of a second to get his ass back into a better place
tumblr_mh6cxweufg1r4tzlyo1_250.gif

It's a really complicated sport fundamentally.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you hit it, it feels like you're stroking through the ball when your arm is really going up...being attached n' all.

It's so complicated. The highest power and accuracy comes from striking the ball right when it reaches his right foot. His arm is moving upward and the ball smashes right into the strings and generates topspin right at that millisecond when it's sunken into the strings.

federerwins460276.jpg

If he was moving forward there's be less spin (and more speed) and vice versa. Falling backward like this will create a more loopy, defensive shot with a lot of spin which gives have a fraction of a second to get his ass back into a better place
tumblr_mh6cxweufg1r4tzlyo1_250.gif

It's a really complicated sport fundamentally.

I love tennis. I've never had lessons but played a lot when I was younger. I never could get the backhand down though. I used two hands and was decent but never capable of putting much top spin on the ball. Now I play ping pong.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
topspin works great in ping pong! Just point the paddle down on the backstroke and don't think about it otherwise. That ball will sink like a rock on the other side of the table and bounce up high.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went the other way. I started with a one hander and moved primarily to 2. I hit the one hander if I am on the run (topspin if passing), 2 hander when returning serve or can set my feet. I can pretty much hit every shot now and am getting close to beating the club pros now even though they are much younger than me.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be able to handle high bounces without my 2 hander. I use my left hand more, actually.

One thing that does suck, though, is that my right shoulder problems keep me from being able to even do slice backhands like I used to be able to. I can go from down to up with my right shoulder, but up to down just kills it.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
topspin works great in ping pong! Just point the paddle down on the backstroke and don't think about it otherwise. That ball will sink like a rock on the other side of the table and bounce up high.

I'm a badass at ping pong. I'm no Asian but I'm pretty good. :whistle:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have gone back and forth over the years. Started with a 2 hander, moved to a one hander, went back to 2 handed with a bad ass slice one hander, now Im back to one hander. I for sure hit the ball harder with my one hander and can obviously genrate more spin but Im the opposite wherein I feel like I have way more control of my 2 hander.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have gone back and forth over the years. Started with a 2 hander, moved to a one hander, went back to 2 handed with a bad ass slice one hander, now Im back to one hander. I for sure hit the ball harder with my one hander and can obviously genrate more spin but Im the opposite wherein I feel like I have way more control of my 2 hander.

Yeah, me too. I guess that's why I still hit the funky slice backhand. The problem though is with a one handed backhand, the other dude knows I'm hitting a slice when I put the racquet back with both hands. The dude I have to beat to win the club chompianship watches that shit...will have to fuck with his head somehow.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

backhand_rg.gif

:suds:

Try it with a full Eastern grip. Where the knuckle of the index finger lies square on the 9 o'clock position of the handle (imagine the clock on the buttcap).

I love the one handed backhand. That is reason enough for me to take up tennis.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Try it with a full Eastern grip. Where the knuckle of the index finger lies square on the 9 o'clock position of the handle (imagine the clock on the buttcap).

Please post some video clips of your one handed backhand.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been using a lot lately because of all the injuries I am accumulating. The 2 hander really takes a lot out of your body. I can hit topspin with a 1 hander as well so it does not cost me anything to use one or the other. If I have plenty of time to stop and plant my feet then I hit the 2 hander, on the run it will be 1.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, back when I used to hit one handed backhands, my serve and backhand grip were exactly the same.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even understand that grip except on serve. Everything has an extreme western grip for me and when it doesn't the ball goes over the fence.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even understand that grip except on serve. Everything has an extreme western grip for me and when it doesn't the ball goes over the fence.

do you have a 1 handed backhand? if you're hitting that extreme western, it's where i'd go with every shot if i were playing you. lol.

henin and kuerten hit it semi-western, and it worked well, but extreme western is a good way to break your wrist or pop your shoulder out if you're trying to get it over the net with any pace.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been using a lot lately because of all the injuries I am accumulating. The 2 hander really takes a lot out of your body. I can hit topspin with a 1 hander as well so it does not cost me anything to use one or the other. If I have plenty of time to stop and plant my feet then I hit the 2 hander, on the run it will be 1.

wow, I rarely have come across a player like that. I played with a buddy who used to block/return with a two hander when the serve came to his bh side but hit the one handed shot in rallies.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I had shoulder surgery a few years ago, i've played with primarily a one-handed backhand. I have both a slice backhand and a flat backhand. Neither are particularly good, but they are passable. I can hit the slice deep enough and the bounce is low enough that it is almost impossible to hit for a winner. The flat shot has given me problems for years. I hit it primarily as a passing shot, and it can be low over the net and quick, but I have a tendency to make it sail. The one area where it's worked surprisingly well is he first serve return. At some point, i'll go back to playing more and can hopefully get more consistency. My slice is better than my pre-surgery two-hander, but I can't consistently put away short balls without errors like I could with my two-hander.