• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's Tag Day

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the Miller deal getting done now that Elway almost doubled the guarentee $.
Strange are tht Berry and now Tucker of Baltimore look like they'll play under the tag but likely the last year with their respective clubs unless something drastic happens. I would've thought those FOs should've locked those two up.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Berry situation is odd. For someone who has an ACL and cancer on his resume, asking for significantly more than Earl Thomas as a percentage the cap is a curious position. That's over 1% more than Devin McCourty and Harrison Smith. Jairus Byrd (LOL) was at 7.0% of the cap when he signed. Two tags as a starting basis for the first two years (With Poe, Gaines and Fisher potentially receiving new contracts in the next year) is just begging for an obstinate "no" from John Dorsey. Now, if he comes down to some middle ground at or south of 7.5% (Earl Thomas' mark) I won't be too salty about the extension.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the Miller deal getting done now that Elway almost doubled the guarentee $.
Strange are tht Berry and now Tucker of Baltimore look like they'll play under the tag but likely the last year with their respective clubs unless something drastic happens. I would've thought those FOs should've locked those two up.

I am very shocked on the Tucker situation. Pretty good kicker and usually those type of deals are not all that hard to get figured out compared to the other players tagged. And he definitely doesn't sound like a happy camper talking about getting out of town if something doesn't get done.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am very shocked on the Tucker situation. Pretty good kicker and usually those type of deals are not all that hard to get figured out compared to the other players tagged. And he definitely doesn't sound like a happy camper talking about getting out of town if something doesn't get done.
I'm shocked the Ravens have let it get to this point. That kick he made to beat Denver in 2012 was no gimme, and of course a kicker cost them a chance to go to the Super Bowl in 2011.

Of course, it could just be posturing to try and drive up his deal. We'll know one way or another in a few hours.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Berry situation is odd. For someone who has an ACL and cancer on his resume, asking for significantly more than Earl Thomas as a percentage the cap is a curious position. That's over 1% more than Devin McCourty and Harrison Smith. Jairus Byrd (LOL) was at 7.0% of the cap when he signed. Two tags as a starting basis for the first two years (With Poe, Gaines and Fisher potentially receiving new contracts in the next year) is just begging for an obstinate "no" from John Dorsey. Now, if he comes down to some middle ground at or south of 7.5% (Earl Thomas' mark) I won't be too salty about the extension.
Berry and really the Washington QB screams play this season tagged if I'm team management. Gotta have another season from both players b4 I throw long term huge commitment $$'s

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Berry and really the Washington QB screams play this season tagged if I'm team management. Gotta have another season b4 I throw long term huge commitment $$'s
We will see. If Berry really is asking for a significantly higher proportion of the cap (with frontloaded money) than Earl Thomas, there's just no way that can possibly be justified in a vacuum, let alone looking at who the Chiefs having coming up (or eligible for an extension) in 2017. I am not sure I really believe that, but we're going to find out in a few hours who's bluffing here. Nobody has come close yet to Earl's number.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see. If Berry really is asking for a significantly higher proportion of the cap (with frontloaded money) than Earl Thomas, there's just no way that can possibly be justified in a vacuum, let alone looking at who the Chiefs having coming up (or eligible for an extension) in 2017. I am not sure I really believe that, but we're going to find out in a few hours who's bluffing here. Nobody has come close yet to Earl's number.
I'm sure you're right. Is Berry's side all about what Earl is making? I hate those kinda posturing negotiations .

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure you're right. Is Berry's side all about what Earl is making? I hate those kinda posturing negotiations .
He's asking for 12M AAV and two tag's worth in the first two years of his contract which is around 23.8M iirc. The AAV is about 7.8% of the 2016 cap. Earl's contract was 7.5% of the cap. Harrison Smith didn't hardly approach even 7% of the cap which is kind of odd. I said this in another thread on here, but Berry would pretty easily be making more than a 1% difference of the cap upon signing than Harrison Smith and Devin McCourty. I really do believe Berry is a top flight safety, but that's a very hard number for even a dyed in the wool Berry homer like me to swallow.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's asking for 12M AAV and two tag's worth in the first two years of his contract which is around 23.8M iirc. The AAV is about 7.8% of the 2016 cap. Earl's contract was 7.5% of the cap. Harrison Smith didn't hardly approach even 7% of the cap which is kind of odd. I said this in another thread on here, but Berry would pretty easily be making more than a 1% difference of the cap upon signing than Harrison Smith and Devin McCourty. I really do believe Berry is a top flight safety, but that's a very hard number for even a dyed in the wool Berry homer like me to swallow.
now that makes me pull the trigger for 3 years knowing the cap is going up each season for the foreseeable future.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tucker isn't going anywhere. Hell...next year they can tag him again and it's not that much more money as far as kickers go. It's tough for kickers to play hardball.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tucker isn't going anywhere. Hell...next year they can tag him again and it's not that much more money as far as kickers go. It's tough for kickers to play hardball.

I'm just surprised that it doesn't sound like they are working on a long-term deal. He is a good kicker and kicker contracts are usually some of the easier ones to do in the league. But you are right they can just tag him again if need be and well there is the whole money heals NFL relationships so if they were to eventually show him the money I would have a hard time seeing him go elsewhere. Just figured that was one of the foregone deals that would get done of the Franchise Tag players.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just surprised that it doesn't sound like they are working on a long-term deal. He is a good kicker and kicker contracts are usually some of the easier ones to do in the league. But you are right they can just tag him again if need be and well there is the whole money heals NFL relationships so if they were to eventually show him the money I would have a hard time seeing him go elsewhere. Just figured that was one of the foregone deals that would get done of the Franchise Tag players.

I get that Tucker is upset, but a deal will get done (maybe even today). I don't put any stock in his threat to not entertain any LT offers from the Ravens if one isn't struck today. He loves it here and the Ravens certainly understand the importance of a great kicker. They don't ever want to be "Cundiffed" again.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that Tucker is upset, but a deal will get done (maybe even today). I don't put any stock in his threat to not entertain any LT offers from the Ravens if one isn't struck today. He loves it here and the Ravens certainly understand the importance of a great kicker. They don't ever want to be "Cundiffed" again.

You are right those kind of threats are pretty common this time of year for franchise tag players. Play the "I'm mad at you so you better pay up" card because they don't really have many others to play. My guess is 3 of the Tagged players get done today.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Berry will not be receiving a new deal by most indications today. Wanted FT money in those first two years which is no bueno with what's down the pike. Better for the Chiefs to call the bluff and revisit this next year with Poe, Fisher, Gaines eligible, and Berry on the table depending on how things shake out.