• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Pence done as a Giant?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Notes: Pence, Ohtani, D-backs, Hill, A's

It’s possible Giants outfielder Hunter Pence has played his last game with the team, Alex Pavlovic of NBC Sports California observes. The Giants have to make a decision on Pence’s future within the next six days, when his minor league rehab assignment will end. In the event San Francisco releases Pence, who helped the club to two World Series titles as a younger player, it’ll have to eat the remainder of his $18.5MM salary. But if Pence gets another shot with the Giants, he’ll return having undergone some offensive adjustments with the help of private instructor Doug Latta – whose students also include Mac Williamson and the Dodgers’ Justin Turner – Pavlocic details. Pence feels “way better” after working with Latta, and has hit well in the minors since making the changes. The respected veteran got off to a rough start in the majors this year (.172/.197/.190 in 61 plate appearances) before going on the disabled list April 19 with a thumb issue.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MaysFan, we've talked about this quite extensively a month ago. I think he's not done yet. In fact, with Blanco not getting much playing time lately, and his poor hitting in May, I would think the Giants would rather cut ties with him than Pence. It makes more sense in my mind, anyway. Blanco is redundant on a team that has Jackson and Hernandez. Might as well give Pence some more time on the roster, until the Giants finally wise up to bring up Slater to replace him.