• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Nebraska having buyers remorse?

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Penn State fans who wish they were still independent.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Penn State fans who wish they were still independent.
-
I am sure lots of fans feel that way. Expansion has buried a lot of rivalry games. It is the one reason you have to respect ND, probably the only one. They have reserved the flexibility to preserve most of their traditional rivalries, despite a changing landscape. It would be odd to see a season without Texas/OU, though I guess older Horn fans would have said that about Arkansas. PSU lost Pitt and WV games. They have never found a rivalry game since.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As opposed to playing Kansas and Iowa St on Pay-per-View or Fox Sports (where you're limited to a zone)? You don't have to live in Big 10 country to get BTN. It's bundled into many sports packages. Fox Sports is limited to a particular zone. There are plenty of opportunities for exposure. National games against Wisconsin and Iowa aren't even listed.

The point of the matter is that Nebraska is in better hands in the Big 10. Academically, athletically, economically and in stability. It's not even a question.

I agree as a university I'd much rather be in the B1G than the Big 12, but from a football perspective Nebraska is in worse shape IMO. And all their other sports will be just fine in the B1G I'm sure. But the football brand is taking a hit. I mean honestly look at the B1G home games for Nebraska this year: Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers and Minnesota, that's a freaking joke. There is one game on the home schedule to get excited about and that's OOC with Miami. You really signed up to go the big 10 for that home schedule?

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
I am sure lots of fans feel that way. Expansion has buried a lot of rivalry games. It is the one reason you have to respect ND, probably the only one. They have reserved the flexibility to preserve most of their traditional rivalries, despite a changing landscape. It would be odd to see a season without Texas/OU, though I guess older Horn fans would have said that about Arkansas. PSU lost Pitt and WV games. They have never found a rivalry game since.

Oklahoma and Texas share so much DNA that many people outside our two states often don't understand the love/hate relationship we have. We love to play each other and we hate to lose to each other. But when they are partnered together UT and OU are a formidable force in college athletics. OU was teased about being Texas' butt boy and following UT's lead during the last conference shakeup. And Texas was laughed at when they high tailed it to Norman to calm Boren down and swear you'd play fair if everyone would just stick together. Bottom line: Oklahoma and Texas need each other. We love to hate each other.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
Back in the day (probably before you were born) most southern teams ACC & SEC weren't that good. One of the BIG reasons was because schools like Nebraska would be successful at recruiting in the south. Quality recruits will go where they know they can win. Right now most of the winning is in the south no denying that, but that dynamic can and will change eventually. MD & NJ while not major recruiting hotbeds gives the B1G a foot in the door when it comes to recruiting in a southerly direction. Those two additions won't be the only states where the B1G network will be offered.

Again, the BTN won't help with football recruiting. The BTN is there to make a crap load of money for the schools, which it is great at. The big 10 schools are going to have to go outside the region and play games outside the region to have a footprint in the south. Schools like Nebraska are going to have a tough time recruiting the Midwest and beating the likes of OSU, Michigan and Notre Dame. Which is another reason why going to the B1G has hurt the Nebraska brand. They can't recruit as well as they did in the big 8/12.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HuskerinBig10 used to bitch & complain about the Big 12 HQ being in Dallas & how the Big 12 CCG was going to be held at Jerry World for the next 5 years before NU picked up their skirts and fled to the B1G. Dude has to be having a stroke by now seeing how the B1G HQ will be in NYC & the B1G CCG will be even further from Lincoln. He blamed Texas for all of that, wonder who he'll blame this time?

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For better or worse Delany is running a business, and the goal of his business is to make money. Maryland and Rutgers help that business make money, it just so happens that both Maryland and Rutgers need the B1G as well.

It's almost like the B1G is two separate conferences. Being a Badger fan and being in the Western Division makes me wonder if Delany and the rest of the conference office will completely forget about us and the other 6 teams "out west," with all of their attention on establishing an East Coast presence. That's not to say that I want Wisconsin to leave the B1G, because that would never happen and nor would I want it to, but it's such a different league now.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree as a university I'd much rather be in the B1G than the Big 12, but from a football perspective Nebraska is in worse shape IMO. And all their other sports will be just fine in the B1G I'm sure. But the football brand is taking a hit. I mean honestly look at the B1G home games for Nebraska this year: Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers and Minnesota, that's a freaking joke. There is one game on the home schedule to get excited about and that's OOC with Miami. You really signed up to go the big 10 for that home schedule?

And in 2015 the home schedule is BYU, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Michigan St, and Iowa.

Does college football end in 2014?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, the BTN won't help with football recruiting. The BTN is there to make a crap load of money for the schools, which it is great at. The big 10 schools are going to have to go outside the region and play games outside the region to have a footprint in the south. Schools like Nebraska are going to have a tough time recruiting the Midwest and beating the likes of OSU, Michigan and Notre Dame. Which is another reason why going to the B1G has hurt the Nebraska brand. They can't recruit as well as they did in the big 8/12.

Fuck Notre Dame and their over-rated football program. They've always recruited "better" than Nebraska in the expert rankings and easily had more media exposure than Nebraska. They haven't had near the success Nebraska has had.

2013 (9-4)
2011 (8-5)
2010 (8-5)
2009 (6-6)
2008 (7-6)
2007 (3-9)
2004 (6-6)
2003 (5-7)
2001 (6-6)
1999 (5-7)

Is that really what you're bloviating about?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in 2015 the home schedule is BYU, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Michigan St, and Iowa.

Does college football end in 2014?

That's a decent home schedule. Nothing to ride home about IMO. But you're still getting utter garbage every other year.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck Notre Dame and their over-rated football program. They've always recruited "better" than Nebraska in the expert rankings and easily had more media exposure than Nebraska. They haven't had near the success Nebraska has had.

2013 (9-4)
2011 (8-5)
2010 (8-5)
2009 (6-6)
2008 (7-6)
2007 (3-9)
2004 (6-6)
2003 (5-7)
2001 (6-6)
1999 (5-7)

Is that really what you're bloviating about?

This has nothing to do with Notre Dame. I only brought them up because they are a school in the Midwest that recruits well.

But since you asked what the hell has Nebraska done in the last decade? At least ND has gone to BCS games over that time frame.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has nothing to do with Notre Dame. I only brought them up because they are a school in the Midwest that recruits well.

But since you asked what the hell has Nebraska done in the last decade? At least ND has gone to BCS games over that time frame.

LMAO!!!

YOU used Notre Dame as a 'comparative' example. Hence it being about Notre Dame.

Notre Dame has had better recruiting rankings (per the experts) and 'by far' more media exposure than Nebraska since Osborne retired. Nebraska's fared as good if not better overall.

..........ND....NU

2013 (9-4) (9-4)
2012 (12-1*) (10-4)
2011 (8-5) (9-4)
2010 (8-5) (10-4)
2009 (6-6) (10-4)
2008 (6-6) (9-4)
2007 (3-9) (5-7)
2006 (10-3) (9-5)
2005 (9-3) (8-4)
2004 (6-6) (5-6)
2003 (5-7) (10-3)
2002 (10-3) (7-7)
2001 (5-6) (11-2 *)
2000 (9-3) (10-2)
1999 (5-7) (12-1)
1998 (9-3) (9-4)

*Played in NC. Got doors blown off.

Once again, ND's always had higher recruiting rankings and media exposure than Nebraska, but look at you in comparison. What's your story?

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me get this straight. Nebraska is upset, because their conference is focused on a region outside of their area. Their voice isnt heard. They are not getting great match-ups in the Conference. The more things change the more they stay the same for Nebraska fans.

Rather hasty decision. That is one writer. Not Nebraska.

Another writer Lee Barfknecht wrote an article about the benefits of the B1G.

Here is another writer

Ranking college football's realignment moves entering the playoff era. | SportsonEarth.com : Matt Brown Article

3. Nebraska in the Big Ten. Aside from its opponents and greater access to television money, little has really changed for Nebraska since joining the Big Ten. Bo Pelini lost four games in each of his three seasons in the Big 12, and he's done the same in the Big Ten, putting the Cornhuskers in a weird state of decent repetitiveness. But Nebraska remains a good fit for the Big Ten culturally, and it now stands as the clear power, historically, in the new Big Ten West. Nebraska got out of the unhappy marriage with the Texas-dominated Big 12 and into a more equitable relationship with the richer Big Ten, and while everyone misses the Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry, the Big 12 had already killed it off as an annual event. A move to the Big Ten made perfect sense both then and now.

You jumping to a conclusion would be like me jumping to the conclusion as to why UT is trying to get rid of Regent Wallace Hall who is trying to figure out what is going on at Texas.

"Wallace Hall is doing exactly what every regent and every appointee in the state of Texas should be doing: asking tough questions, gathering facts and searching for the truth," Perry said.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, for the love of God :L

I personally didn't hate the Big 12 like a lot of Nebraska fans, but the benefits to moving to the Big 10 are through the roof. It was a no-brainer, is still a no-brainer, and if we wouldn't have made the move, I would have killed myself. With a gun. Bullet to the left temple. Exiting the right temple.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I'm right handed, so flip that around and we're good.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no question the football brand of Nebraska has taken a hit. But you could argue it started a little before they joined the B1G. They just aren't the same program of the 90's or even the early years of the 2000's. And I don't see the changes the B1G has made helping increase the brand when they will go in cycles of not playing Penn State, Ohio State, or Michigan now. Would they have had a better chance of getting back to what they were in the Big 12, I think so. They'd play OU and Texas every year and have a better chance at landing kids in Texas since they'd be playing 1-2 games there every year.

But the university is making much much more money than they would have in the big 12. I guess it's what's more important to the university. They took the money over their football program IMO.

Dear Notre Dame fan, you know not of what you speak.

Nebraska is still getting young men from the State of Texas. Ever heard of Rex Burkhead? Tommy Armstrong? Adam Taylor? Jamal Turner?

The only time Nebraska played both was when they met one of them in the Big 12 Championship and the other one during the regular season. And that only happened three years.

Nebraska would not have played Texas and OU each year. That was the plan of the formation of the Big 12, Nebraska in the north while Texas and Oklahoma were in the south. Oklahoma thought Oklahoma could not play both Texas and Nebraska each year so Oklahoma wanted out. Even though Barry Switzer played both. Bud Wilkinson played both.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. You said 10 years.

..........ND....NU

2013 (9-4) (9-4)
2012 (12-1*) (10-4)
2011 (8-5) (9-4)
2010 (8-5) (10-4)
2009 (6-6) (10-4)
2008 (6-6) (9-4)
2007 (3-9) (5-7) In Nebraska's worst year, ND managed to suck worse.
2006 (10-3) (9-5)
2005 (9-3) (8-4)
2004 (6-6) (5-6)
-----------------------
Wins..67.......83

Point being ND has had higher recruiting rankings and more media pump than Nebraska yet can't seem to do any better overall.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to tell Nebraska that if they are worried about Big Ten football then they need to once again be a national contender. If they're winning the West, they'll be playing Michigan or OSU often. I would tell Nebraska to shut the fuck up and pull your weight.