• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Is Melvin Gordon better than Jordan Howard?

Is Melvin Gordon better than Jordan Howard?

• Total voters

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people are saying that it was embarrassing for the Eagles to lowball the Chargers with a trade offer for Melvin Gordon that includes Jordan Howard and some pick swaps. Let’s look at the numbers. Because Howard has only played 3 seasons, I’ve included Gordon’s numbers for his first 3 seasons in parentheses. His overall numbers are boosted a bit by a very good year last year.

Gordon: 4.0 yards per rushing attempt (3.8)
Howard: 4.3 yards per rushing attempt

Gordon: 66.0 rushing yards per game (63.8)
Howard: 71.7 rushing yards per game

Gordon: 3.3 receptions per game (3.1)
Howard: 1.5 receptions per game

Gordon: 28.7 receiving yards per game (25.3)
Howard: 12.1 receiving yards per game

Gordon: 8.7 yards per reception (8.2)
Howard: 7.9 yards per reception

Gordon: 74.9% catch percentage (74.6)
Howard: 66.7% catch percentage

Gordon: 94.7 YFS per game (89.1)
Howard: 83.8 YFS per game

Gordon: 4.8 yards per touch (4.5)
Howard: 4.6 yards per touch

Gordon: 9.5 TD per season (8.0)
Howard: 8.3 TD per season

Gordon: 2.5 fumbles per season (3.0)
Howard: 1.7 fumbles per season

Gordon: 9 games missed in 4 years (5 in 1st 3)
Howard: 1 game missed in 3 years

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of either...this year Howard is more useful, obviously. I go Gordon for pass-catching and Howard as a runner. Gordon is one of the most overrated RB's in the NFL imo

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reno's addition of Old Bay to potato salad is the stuff legends are made of.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of either...this year Howard is more useful, obviously. I go Gordon for pass-catching and Howard as a runner. Gordon is one of the most overrated RB's in the NFL imo

This is sort of where I’m at. Gordon had a very good year last year. Does that mean that the 2018 Gordon is the one we’re going to see going forward? He’s got 3 other so-so years.

Jordan Howard is a solid back. I doubt he’ll ever be a star but he’s produced. I’m happy with him on the Eagles. But is Gordon so much better than him that it’s laughable to suggest a trade of Howard and a mid round pick for Gordon and a lower midround pick?

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reno's addition of Old Bay to potato salad is the stuff legends are made of.

Reno is one of the greatest. It’s a sin that Andy did not do a better job of incorporating him into the offense.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reno!

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Howard is so good, then why would the Bears have traded him for a 5/6th round pick, then the Eagles draft a running back in the 2nd, then the Eagles offer Howard in a trade deal for different running back who purportedly not all that much better than him?

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Howard is so good, then why would the Bears have traded him for a 5/6th round pick, then the Eagles draft a running back in the 2nd, then the Eagles offer Howard in a trade deal for different running back who purportedly not all that much better than him?

The Eagles bought low on Howard and I have no clue why the Bears wanted to get rid of him so badly. Trade compensation isn’t always a good barometer for how good a player is.

Regardless of how good Howard may be, the Eagles needed another RB and got a nice player in Sanders. Plus, teams draft players all the time despite not having an immediate need there. Just look at the Eagles’ first round pick this year. A tackle who they don’t plan to start in 2019 unless they need to.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a tough time to be a RB in the NFL and get paid. The position is no longer a marquee position and in most systems it's a bit of an afterthought. Good team building just makes it necessary to not pay big money to RBs.

Nelly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles bought low on Howard and I have no clue why the Bears wanted to get rid of him so badly. Trade compensation isn’t always a good barometer for how good a player is.
It's easy: Jordan Howard isn't that good. He plays a position that's easily replaceable compared to others and he doesn't do things that are becoming more and more valuable in today's game (be a passing game threat). Everyone knew Howard was on the outs so every team knew they could have him if they wanted him. Considering that, no other team wanted to give up more than a conditional 5th round pick for him. That should tell you something about his value around the league: it's not that high.

I'm a hell of a lot more excited about David Montgomery going into this year than i was about Howard going into last year.

Regardless of how good Howard may be, the Eagles needed another RB and got a nice player in Sanders. Plus, teams draft players all the time despite not having an immediate need there. Just look at the Eagles’ first round pick this year. A tackle who they don’t plan to start in 2019 unless they need to.
"Needing another running back" is fine, but a 2nd round pick is a coveted draft spot. If they thought Howard was a lead back to be complimented, then they likely would have spent that 2nd rounder on something that delivers some more immediate value at a position of more need. Instead, they took the 2nd back off the board, a guy who's capable of being a lead back sooner than later.

Conditional 5/6th rounder + drafting another back in the 2nd round = Eagles don't see Howard as all that valuable and nothing more than a rotational back. Maybe that's what Gordon is as well but Gordon has a better resume and can say he was the/a offensive centerpiece of a good offense and a winning team. Howard had a couple good years on bad Bears teams, and as soon as we got some good offensive weapons and a good offensive coach, Howard struggled and Nagy leaned more heavily on a guy (Cohen) who can be a more dynamic pass catcher.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's easy: Jordan Howard isn't that good. He plays a position that's easily replaceable compared to others and he doesn't do things that are becoming more and more valuable in today's game (be a passing game threat). Everyone knew Howard was on the outs so every team knew they could have him if they wanted him. Considering that, no other team wanted to give up more than a conditional 5th round pick for him. That should tell you something about his value around the league: it's not that high.

I'm a hell of a lot more excited about David Montgomery going into this year than i was about Howard going into last year.

"Needing another running back" is fine, but a 2nd round pick is a coveted draft spot. If they thought Howard was a lead back to be complimented, then they likely would have spent that 2nd rounder on something that delivers some more immediate value at a position of more need. Instead, they took the 2nd back off the board, a guy who's capable of being a lead back sooner than later.

Conditional 5/6th rounder + drafting another back in the 2nd round = Eagles don't see Howard as all that valuable and nothing more than a rotational back. Maybe that's what Gordon is as well but Gordon has a better resume and can say he was the/a offensive centerpiece of a good offense and a winning team. Howard had a couple good years on bad Bears teams, and as soon as we got some good offensive weapons and a good offensive coach, Howard struggled and Nagy leaned more heavily on a guy (Cohen) who can be a more dynamic pass catcher.

I understand that Howard is not an elite RB. But why trade him for nothing when he could at least be a rotational back for the Bears? I thought they sold low. Is Mike Davis an upgrade?

Gordon has a better resume...and much more proven out of the backfield...but I’m not necessarily sold on him as elite. And if he’s not elite then he isn’t too far off from being a Jordan Howard.

As far as using a 2nd rounder on a RB, like I said, the Eagles also used a 1st round pick on a tackle who will not play this season unless one of their starters gets hurt. So obviously they were not focused on drafting for immediate needs in this draft. That’s sort of been their MO the last few drafts. See Barnett and Sidney Jones in 2017 and Dallas Goedert in 2018.

Nelly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that Howard is not an elite RB. But why trade him for nothing when he could at least be a rotational back for the Bears? I thought they sold low.
I thought they sold low as well. I would have liked to see him traded when Nagy took over when he was riding the stellar rookie season and really good sophomore followup. We could have maybe got a 3rd rounder for him. Anyone who was paying any attention could anticipate Howard not being a natural fit for what Nagy wanted to do.

For what we need, yes, Mike Davis is better. I don't see how Howard smoothly goes from feature back to rotational piece without a whole lot of noise, resentment and criticism in some forms from him, the coaches and the fans.

I see Howard as basically Chris Ivory, probably a little more talented but doesn't run as hard, and will always be a liability in the passing game beyond his ability to pick up the blitz (which is very good).