• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Kupchak planning a trade?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just going to mention Hill as similar to Young but as usual, quick on the draw beats me to the punch.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's possible. Not sure what they'd get for him though. The problem with Swaggy isn't that he's a bad guy or really even a bad player. He doesn't get in trouble off the court, he keeps thing upbeat in the locker room and he has the kind of talent to be one of the better players in the league.

Problem is, he just doesn't seem to take things seriously enough. It's great to joke around and keep things loose, but there's also a time to get serious. He just doesn't seem to understand when it's time to get serious.

Also, when his shot isn't falling, he really doesn't contribute anything.

It's a shame that he just doesn't seem to care that much. I thought maybe after a strong first season with the Lakers, Nick would come back even better in year 2. Injuries derailed him certainly, but I didn't see much improvement. I thought maybe after a down season in year 2, he'd want to come back in year 3 and prove the doubters wrong. I have serious doubts...

Wearing a ski mask and dominating scrubs at the 24 Fitness is not working on your craft. Get your ass to El Segundo.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just going to mention Hill as similar to Young but as usual, quick on the draw beats me to the punch.

It had some entertainment value for a couple down seasons, but it's time to keep the serious players around and get back into contention.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: When Scott mentioned recently that he expects 7-8 new Lakers this year, methinks people like the Swag and Hill will obviously not be part of that statement.:dhd:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Young is not a good NBA player. The guy is close to 30, been in the league 8 years, and has been a knuckleheaded one dimensional (scoring, mostly inefficient) player from day 1. That's why he has no value. LA was the first team to offer him a long term deal in his entire career and why they did, I have no idea. Every other team has been either "no thanks" or "we'll take you for a year because we need to fill a roster spot and we know you'll clown your way out anyway". You can talk what potential talent he had all you want, but the results speak for themselves. Don't let the jokes charm you, he's a waste on an NBA roster that has any hopes of competing.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,831.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's possible. Not sure what they'd get for him though. The problem with Swaggy isn't that he's a bad guy or really even a bad player. He doesn't get in trouble off the court, he keeps thing upbeat in the locker room and he has the kind of talent to be one of the better players in the league.

Problem is, he just doesn't seem to take things seriously enough. It's great to joke around and keep things loose, but there's also a time to get serious. He just doesn't seem to understand when it's time to get serious.

Also, when his shot isn't falling, he really doesn't contribute anything.

I've been saying that they should trade him since the end of the regular season. I think they could get a 1st rounder for him, say a pick in the 20-28 range. A contender could add him to their bench to provide the instant offense they need and the Lakers get another draft pick.

He only makes around 5 million per season, which is about average for an NBA salary.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed, which soured me on Hill, although I didn't expect him to see the second year of this contract with the Lakers anyway.

As far as Swag goes, I wonder how much of that late season injury was real and how much of it was a benching for that ridiculous and embarrassing celebration when they beat the Celtics. To pile on him further, he has repeatedly said he thinks Scott has it out for him and that he has tuned the coach out.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, which soured me on Hill, although I didn't expect him to see the second year of this contract with the Lakers anyway.

As far as Swag goes, I wonder how much of that late season injury was real and how much of it was a benching for that ridiculous and embarrassing celebration when they beat the Celtics. To pile on him further, he has repeatedly said he thinks Scott has it out for him and that he has tuned the coach out.

I wondered the same. If memory serves, towards the end of the season, Young was saying that he could play and Byron kept holding him out of games.

I will say this for Young, IF (and it's a big IF) the Lakers keep him, I see 2 things that could possibly help him. Byron and Kobe. Neither of them were happy about that celebration and both made it very clear that kind of crap is bush league and not what the Lakers are about. It's also likely that their reaction was a "final straw" rather than an overreaction.

The Showtime teams had their fun, but when they stepped on the court, it was all business and they only celebrated titles. Kobe has that same mindset.

It was likely the first time in his career that any coach or teammate has held him accountable. IF (big IF again) he learns from it and decides to start behaving like a professional, then he could be an asset, especially as a points off the bench guy.

Unfortunately, wildturkey is likely correct about him. He's 30 years old and has been in the league for 8 years. If he hasn't figured things out by now, it's unlikely that he's going to.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be sad to see Hill go, but it's part of the business, we need all the cap space we can get.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be sad to see Hill go, but it's part of the business, we need all the cap space we can get.

I think trading Hill depends on who they plan on going after in the draft and who they feel they can get in FA.

If they go with Towns or Okafor, I think Hill should be kept as a backup forward/center. However, if they decide to take Russell or Mudiay, then perhaps they package him in a deal to trade for another earlier pick (maybe in the teens) to go after someone like Cauley-Stein or Kaminsky. Or perhaps as part of a trade for a big?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see maybe bringing back Hill at a lesser number after declining his option, but not at $9M. Then again, if they need cap space to chase a pricier free agent, he's probably out of the picture. He may not be interested in returning at a lesser salary anyway.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers cut him outright, he'll probably go to the Knicks where Phil and the coach have already expressed interest in his services.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think trading Hill depends on who they plan on going after in the draft and who they feel they can get in FA.

If they go with Towns or Okafor, I think Hill should be kept as a backup forward/center. However, if they decide to take Russell or Mudiay, then perhaps they package him in a deal to trade for another earlier pick (maybe in the teens) to go after someone like Cauley-Stein or Kaminsky. Or perhaps as part of a trade for a big?

Any chatter with landing Monroe, Aldridge, or Gasol?? I know Aldridge is almost certain to return to Portland, but maybe if the situation is right?!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chatter with landing Monroe, Aldridge, or Gasol?? I know Aldridge is almost certain to return to Portland, but maybe if the situation is right?!

I'm not sure about Aldridge staying in Portland. He said he intended to return after the playoff run they had last year. But there have been rumors that he may leave.

I think Gasol stays in Memphis. Monroe might be a good possibility, not sure how happy he is in Detroit. Of course, if they take Okafor or Towns, they won't have to worry about looking for a big in FA.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure about Aldridge staying in Portland. He said he intended to return after the playoff run they had last year. But there have been rumors that he may leave.

I think Gasol stays in Memphis. Monroe might be a good possibility, not sure how happy he is in Detroit. Of course, if they take Okafor or Towns, they won't have to worry about looking for a big in FA.

I'm good with either drafting Towns or Okafor, or getting another big such Monroe via FA. But either way, I think we need a 2 and a 3! Anyone fit this mold??

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm good with either drafting Towns or Okafor, or getting another big such Monroe via FA. But either way, I think we need a 2 and a 3! Anyone fit this mold??

Kawhi Leonard- hey, I can dream right?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Aldridge just put his Portland home up for sale, for whatever that's worth.