• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Iowa's football year is over

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to say it was horrible. Disappointing is a good word because Iowa did not reach expectations, but horrible would not be the case. It had a lot of ups and downs and many potentials and disappointments.

Goods out of the season

* Decent Experience on defense

Last year, we lost one of the top linebacker corps in the country. They could cover the run from sideline to sideline, cover the pass, force turnovers, knock out Nebraska QBs, and were just beasts. This year, we had very talented DL that were out-of-shape and inexperienced, yet, talented DBs. Also, LBs have a year of experience.

* OL is still strong

Many things went wrong today, well, everything went wrong today. But the OL really didn't do all that horrible. Scherff will suck to lose, but I think Iowa's OL will be better next season. You can always look forward to that.

* RB is deep and TEs should be good

Many of the running backs this season underperformed, but they always had the potential. Not saying Iowa has the next Melvin Gordon, but they could have a very strong running back. And I think there will always bee good tight ends.

Season's disappointments

* What will happen with the QBs?

I get it, Iowa has never had that great of a QB. Brad Banks was the last one and that was 12 years ago. We've had good ones. Drew Tate (which was around 8-10 years ago) and Ricky Stanzi were good QBs but not great. Jake Rudock not playing as good as he should and it seems like Beathard is better as a backup taking over the game than a starter. Then they have a redshirt this season that supposed to be good, but we heard that many times before.

* Losing DLs

The core of the DL (Davis and Trina-Passat) are gone. What do they have to replace them. I think the LBs will be okay and DBs will be good, how will that DL be in a season that could be another RB year?

* Lack of fundamentals

You can bring up coaching all you want, but I will continue to support Ferentz and staff. I have been frustrated over the dropped 1st downs and TDs Iowa has had all season. Today, I was getting frustrated with Iowa's ability to bounce off guys. I don't think it was "SEC Speed". Iowa was hitting ball carriers at the line of scrimmage. I think it was the fact that tackling is a lost art. Another is reading blocks by running back. Watch Iowa's RBs and watch Gordon, Abdullah, etc. Huge difference is reading blocks. Just simple fundamentals and these games will look much different.

Just my little frustrated rant. Tennessee was clearly the better team from the opening kick off. Congratulations to the Volunteers.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This season sucked and our entire program is worse off than it was 5 years ago.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The program is in a free-fall. The stopping point is an average season 7 wins and 5 losses -- throw in a bowl game. With the plethora of bowls, Iowa in a January bowl game is not a significant achievement.

Everyone knows the problems/weaknesses with the Iowa program:
- Next year, another soft schedule. But for Iowa, the schedule will be challenging.
- Inconsistent offense at key positions: QB, RB, and WR
- Inconsistent defense at key positions: DL, LB, and secondary
- Inconsistent special teams: punter, punt returner, kickoff return
- Overall, the biggest problem with the program is the lack of speed at ALL POSITIONS. KF isn't bringing in any speed of value that can change the game on one play.
- How can one program be this inept at bringing in RBs that can play at this level?
- About the only recruits that are developing are the O-linemen and TEs. Can you imagine if the rest of the recruits were developing at the rate of the O-linemen.....

We'll see what comes with the next recruiting class and player development that leads up to next seasons slate of games.

mm03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't want to sugar coat it, but Iowa lost to a 2 win ISU team. That's pretty much the definition of a pretty horrible year. The best win was over Illinois, that's not good.

With what Iowa is bringing back next year, it's possible they win 8 games, but to be honest the schedule is quite a bit harder. It's extremely possible they lose to Illinois State, ISU, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Nebraska. Either way if KF produces another 7 win team I think that'll pretty much wrap up his career at Iowa. The fans are on edge right now, the only thing that can take the heat off is if the hoops team keeps winning.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true - losing to Iowa St. That trend has to stop, but its highly unlikely that KF changes his approach to playing Iowa St.