• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting article on the future of conference realignment

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting how much defending their was for OSU when a clearly better Bama team got riddled with hate.
At least we don’t have to worry about OSU fans crying about Mercer next year since the Buckeyes scheduled an FCS school week one.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Win your conference and you are in.

This will never be ok.

The NCAA can not exclude any school from joining the FBS level of college football, they can only set standards. So any format that is "win your conference and you're in" is exclusionary and would rightfully draw anti-trust type complaints.

There must exist an open door for all teams.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will never be ok.

The NCAA can not exclude any school from joining the FBS level of college football, they can only set standards. So any format that is "win your conference and you're in" is exclusionary and would rightfully draw anti-trust type complaints.

There must exist an open door for all teams.

smartest thing they did was give a far lower bar to entry for the BCS to non-BCS schools than BCS.

And then you just let the writers weed them out naturally.

That's the reason Utah never sued despite years of threatening too, they never had a real case.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smartest thing they did was give a far lower bar to entry for the BCS to non-BCS schools than BCS.

And then you just let the writers weed them out naturally.

That's the reason Utah never sued despite years of threatening too, they never had a real case.

Yeah but I thought AQ status was bad and needed to go. I was glad it didn't carry over into the playoffs.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio St is about as likeable as a child molester.

Alabama has been a hated football team for more than 50 years. A lot of it is political and the ignorance of the south/school in the 60's regarding civil rights etc. Sadly, it was about more than football.

But like when they did the championships by poll, back in the day they were done before bowl games and the bowl games were exhibition games. Multiple teams lost their bowl games after winning the polls before the games, but it wasn't an issue until Alabama did it, then suddenly they had to change it. The AP changed after 1963ish and the Coaches after 1972ish. Both after Alabama lost their bowl game. Not the first to do so, but the only time it was a big deal.

And the playoffs were done as a result of Alabama vs LSU. Wasn't a big deal when Auburn got left out, but Alabama getting in - huge deal.

Funny enough, the changes always benefit Alabama. The AP change benefited Alabama the very next year, and Alabama won it 2 years in a row. Would have been 3 in a row, but in 1966 they put 2 teams that tied each other ahead of undefeated Alabama - and the #1 team(Notre Dame) refused to play in bowl games at all. The playoffs were supposed to make things more difficult, even though Alabama would not have won a National Championship this year in the BCS format.

Always been a double standard, but it never seems to matter. In the end the best teams still rise to the top.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least we don’t have to worry about OSU fans crying about Mercer next year since the Buckeyes scheduled an FCS school week one.

Utah State sayz hello.:D

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama has been a hated football team for more than 50 years. A lot of it is political and the ignorance of the south/school in the 60's regarding civil rights etc. Sadly, it was about more than football.

But like when they did the championships by poll, back in the day they were done before bowl games and the bowl games were exhibition games. Multiple teams lost their bowl games after winning the polls before the games, but it wasn't an issue until Alabama did it, then suddenly they had to change it. The AP changed after 1963ish and the Coaches after 1972ish. Both after Alabama lost their bowl game. Not the first to do so, but the only time it was a big deal.

And the playoffs were done as a result of Alabama vs LSU. Wasn't a big deal when Auburn got left out, but Alabama getting in - huge deal.

Funny enough, the changes always benefit Alabama. The AP change benefited Alabama the very next year, and Alabama won it 2 years in a row. Would have been 3 in a row, but in 1966 they put 2 teams that tied each other ahead of undefeated Alabama - and the #1 team(Notre Dame) refused to play in bowl games at all. The playoffs were supposed to make things more difficult, even though Alabama would not have won a National Championship this year in the BCS format.

Always been a double standard, but it never seems to matter. In the end the best teams still rise to the top.
So what you are saying is Alabama should give up their 1965 title because a win is better than a tie?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utah State sayz hello.:D
Show me where I, or any Michigan State fan cried about scheduling Mercer?

Go ahead, i’ll Wait.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what you are saying is Alabama should give up their 1965 title because a win is better than a tie?

Nope, Alabama won it's bowl game.

:lol:

Thank the AP, #4 in coaches who did not count bowl games.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14 makes no sense. The perfect number can not include uneven schedules. I continue to think the number will grow and conferences will petition the NCAA for a 4 team playoff, because money
We just need to get rid of divisions and then everything becomes more flexible.

BTW 14 obviously does work because the SEC, ACC and B1G are doing it. You might not like it but it does work.

What doesn’t work is calling yourself the Big 12, having only 10, play a round robin and then a conference championship. All of that is ridiculously stupid.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, Alabama won it's bowl game.

:lol:

Thank the AP, #4 in coaches who did not count bowl games.
So you are going to move goal posts too fit your narrative? Are you ATF?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Show me where I, or any Michigan State fan cried about scheduling Mercer?

Go ahead, i’ll Wait.

You should go back & read your comment I quoted. Here's exactly what you said: since the Buckeyes scheduled an FCS school week one.

Now I didn't go back & read many comments. If you're trying to say something else then my bad. I was simply making a joke (which you obviously didn't get) because of what you said about Ohio State.

So go ahead & wait for whatever you're waiting for. I wasn't even talking about Sparty fans. I was talking about the schedule.:pound:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should go back & read your comment I quoted. Here's exactly what you said: since the Buckeyes scheduled an FCS school week one.

Now I didn't go back & read many comments. If you're trying to say something else then my bad. But I don't give a shit about Bama's schedule. I was simply making a joke (which you obviously didn't get) because of what you said about Ohio State.

So go ahead & wait for whatever you're waiting for. Because I wasn't even talking about Sparty fans. I was talking about the schedule.:pound:
Ohio State fans crying about scheduling Mercer.
Make sure we have Mercer on the schedule next year

I stated we don’t have to worry about that happening again, because OSU has scheduled an absolute shit team as well. Now if you can find where I am crying about a team scheduling one shitty team, by all means, go ahead. But you pointing out that post isn’t some “gotcha” moment that you think it is. It’s me pointing out the hypocriticalness that OSU fans were showing last season.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State fans crying about scheduling Mercer.
Make sure we have Mercer on the schedule next year

I stated we don’t have to worry about that happening again, because OSU has scheduled an absolute shit team as well. Now if you can find where I am crying about a team scheduling one shitty team, by all means, go ahead. But you pointing out that post isn’t some “gotcha” moment that you think it is. It’s me pointing out the hypocriticalness that OSU fans were showing last season.

You really shouldn't lump every Ohio State fan into the same category. I can guarantee to you there was no "crying" from me about Mercer. I have been saying for a few years now I don't think any FBS teams should be scheduling FCS teams. And you have taken a sarcastic comment & ran w/ it. Going on this rant when my original comment was nothing more than comparing Ohio State's & Michigan State's opening games. But believe what you want to believe & continue this bizarre rant of yours. I never said you (or any other Sparty) fans were saying anything about a teams schedule. You really don't get that do you?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really shouldn't lump every Ohio State fan into the same category. I can guarantee to you there was no "crying" from me about Mercer. I have been saying for a few years now I don't think any FBS teams should be scheduling FCS teams. And you have taken a sarcastic comment & ran w/ it. Going on this rant when my original comment was nothing more than comparing Ohio State's & Michigan State's opening games. But believe what you want to believe & continue this bizarre rant of yours. I never said you (or any other Sparty) fans were saying anything about a teams schedule. You really don't get that do you?
Did I say you were crying? Do I have to point out each individual fan that does it. Should I jump on every OSU fan who lumps all Michigan fans together?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:nono:

I didn't move the goal posts in 1964, the AP did.
But you said we should use what the voters said in 1965 but not in 1966, right?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you said we should use what the voters said in 1965 but not in 1966, right?

Huh? Alabama doesn't claim 1966.

And Notre Dame refused to play in bowl games.

Here are the records in 1966:

Notre Dame: 9-0-1 No bowl because they were too good for such things.
Michigan St: 9-0-1 No bowl because the Big10 are a bunch of dumbasses who wouldn't let the same team go twice in a row.
Alabama: 11-0 - the only team of the 3 to play in a bowl game defeating #6 Nebraska 34-7

Meanwhile, Michigan St lost in the Rose Bowl in 1965. Yeah it was your only loss, but it was a bowl game and Alabama won it's bowl game. Alabama had 1 loss and 1 tie. The loss was 1st game of the year, the tie like the 5th.

I'm not sure exactly what your point is to be honest.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? Alabama doesn't claim 1966.

And Notre Dame refused to play in bowl games.

Here are the records in 1966:

Notre Dame: 9-0-1 No bowl because they were too good for such things.
Michigan St: 9-0-1 No bowl because the Big10 are a bunch of dumbasses who wouldn't let the same team go twice in a row.
Alabama: 11-0 - the only team of the 3 to play in a bowl game defeating #6 Nebraska 34-7

Meanwhile, Michigan St lost in the Rose Bowl in 1965. Yeah it was your only loss, but it was a bowl game and Alabama won it's bowl game. Alabama had 1 loss and 1 tie. The loss was 1st game of the year, the tie like the 5th.

I'm not sure exactly what your point is to be honest.

Since we are talking about this anyway, I feel I should mention that Michigan St was #1 in the coaches poll and finished the season #1 in the coaches poll because they did not count bowl games.

Wasn't a big deal when Michigan St did it.

But just like Alabama and the AP the year before, when Alabama did it in their poll in the early 70's - suddenly a huge deal and needed to be changed.