• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting Article on Statistical Overachievers

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hockeycentric Top-10: Statistical Overachievers | HOCKEYCENTRIC

Granted this is just for the regular season (see the guy ranked #2) but I think there is a lot of good stuff in this article and wanted to share it.

Thoughts??

Also, a pull from the mothership, and what I thought was a good topic. Who, on your team do you think earned a pay increase this year??

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article. Definitely don't agree with Schultz as a #1 on that list. He's not getting nominated for the Norris anytime soon, but he developed his game a lot this season and has done a great job canceling guys out and using that big body of his. I was one of his harshest critics at the start of the year, but man has he come a long way.

OUVan59

There was one?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Good article. Definitely don't agree with Schultz as a #1 on that list. He's not getting nominated for the Norris anytime soon, but he developed his game a lot this season and has done a great job canceling guys out and using that big body of his. I was one of his harshest critics at the start of the year, but man has he come a long way.

I agree. They basically say that the only reason he's got good numbers is because of Mike Green which is BS. His even strength time per game is essentially identical to Green's but he was on the ice for 27 fewer even strength goals against than Green. Schultz isn't as physical as many fans would like but he is willing to take a hit to get the job done. If it weren't for Schultz, Green wouldn't be able to play as aggressively offensively as he does.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schultz isn't as physical as many fans would like but he is willing to take a hit to get the job done. If it weren't for Schultz, Green wouldn't be able to play as aggressively offensively as he does.

Let me comment on that. I don't think he makes the "big" hits that Green or Erskine sometimes supply, but he is probably more "physical" than any of other D-men because once he gets a guy into the boards, that player STAYS in the boards. That's an important skill that few of our defenders have mastered.

OUVan59

There was one?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Let me comment on that. I don't think he makes the "big" hits that Green or Erskine sometimes supply, but he is probably more "physical" than any of other D-men because once he gets a guy into the boards, that player STAYS in the boards. That's an important skill that few of our defenders have mastered.

I think that's a perfect description.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with all of this. he is like a giant spider that just envelopes people along the boards. That being said, I wish he would get a little git of a nasty streak in him and add a little bit of "Nolan Yonkman (oh yeah, I wen there)" to his style. he may end up doing this with time. He still stick checks and rubs people out very well.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely disagree with a few of these.

Pitaken's time on ice was a product of there being no one else to take that ice time. I don't think you can accurately say that a player "overachieves" in TOI. I think his TOI was inflated by his situation, but I would certainly not classify it as an overachievement.

Second, Jeff Schultz and Jose Theodore. Again, those numbers are not overachievements, they are inflated by team quality. Theodore's a talented goaltender who just hasn't put it together a whole lot in recent years. This year the Capitals were able to take pressure off of Theodore, and that allowed him to shine.

Schultz is a strong defender who would be a plus player almost anywhere he went, but his +/- is inflated by the team around him, especially the + half. Again, it's not an overachievement, it's an inflation.

Finally, Alex Burrows. He's playing on a line with the Sedins, who were excellent all year (Daniel when he was in there, Henrick all year long). His numbers are also inflated a bit (not much I think), but it's not a statistical overachievement.

I suppose all of my complaints are based on a misnomer moreso than a poor analysis, but I do agree with the rest of the list.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did I know Resident Nerd would post here? ;)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did I know Resident Nerd would post here? ;)

I wanted to hours ago, but a lab report was eating my time. So I made sure to do it shortly after getting back to my room after lab. It's obviously right up my alley.