• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interested in buying a pistol

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, somewhat of a novice to the gun scene. My neighbor has taken me trap shooting countless times, but I find shot guns kind of boring. I will be going pistol shooting with him over the fall. He will probably lend me one, but if I did want to buy one, do any of you have a recommendation? I know it's kind of a tough question to answer but I'm interested in the feedback. Thanks!

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a novice too. I'm gonna say Glock for the price and reliability factor. You get a lot for your money in terms of quality and ammo capacity.

More specifically, do you prefer a semi-auto like a Glock or S&W M&P to something like a revolver that is more expensive (usually) but simpler to operate?

My best advice: Don't look for a Ruger SP101 .357 4.2", because that's what I'm trying to find and it's been months!

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, somewhat of a novice to the gun scene. My neighbor has taken me trap shooting countless times, but I find shot guns kind of boring. I will be going pistol shooting with him over the fall. He will probably lend me one, but if I did want to buy one, do any of you have a recommendation? I know it's kind of a tough question to answer but I'm interested in the feedback. Thanks!

Check with the range you will be going shooting at. Hopefully they have pistols available to rent, and I recommend trying some different caliber ones to get an idea of what feels comfortable to you. No matter how good a pistol is, if it feels uncomfortable to you it's worthless. Without knowing more about your knowledge and comfort level with firearms, it's very difficult to offer a good recommendation. So many people prefer different things in their firearms.

Don't be ashamed to borrow from your neighbor if he's generous to offer to let you try his pistols. The more options you shoot, you'll be able to find something that fits you. :D

SLSKOW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get a desert eagle 50 cal. That's a fucking man gun right there. I bought a chrome plated matching set off a tweaker in a bar in red lodge, montana for 100 bucks. Pretty sure they were hot.

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get a desert eagle 50 cal. That's a fucking man gun right there. I bought a chrome plated matching set off a tweaker in a bar in red lodge, montana for 100 bucks. Pretty sure they were hot.

One of the few guns I've fired.

Ended up hitting myself in the forehead with my own fists from the recoil.

btw -

Greeley Rednecks...

...gotta love'em.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check with the range you will be going shooting at. Hopefully they have pistols available to rent, and I recommend trying some different caliber ones to get an idea of what feels comfortable to you. No matter how good a pistol is, if it feels uncomfortable to you it's worthless. Without knowing more about your knowledge and comfort level with firearms, it's very difficult to offer a good recommendation. So many people prefer different things in their firearms.

Don't be ashamed to borrow from your neighbor if he's generous to offer to let you try his pistols. The more options you shoot, you'll be able to find something that fits you. :D
:agree:

You didn't say WHY you wanted to buy a pistol?

If you just want to shoot at the range... get a .22 rimfire Ruger .. it is a blast, cheap, and you can shoot all day.

If you are looking for a dual purpose range / home protection... that changes things.

Or if you are looking for concealed carry?

Or a bit of all the above?

Don't listen to anyone who gives you advise BEFORE you answer the questions above.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the few guns I've fired.

Ended up hitting myself in the forehead with my own fists from the recoil.

btw -

Greeley Rednecks...

...gotta love'em.

Desert Eagle is one of the most impractical guns around... people love to brag about them, but utility and function are NOT real high on anyone who knows guns list. Baby Eagle... eh, maybe. Full size.. is like a .44 Mag.. great if you have grizzlies nearby... other than that, it is just to own one.

Last edited by a moderator:

buried_in_snow

Capt Fucking Awesome
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Desert Eagle is one of the most impractical guns around... people love to brag about them, but utility and function are NOT real high on anyone who knows guns list. Baby Eagle... eh, maybe. Full size.. is like a .44 Mag.. great if you have grizzlies nearby... other than that, it is just to own one.

I'm not a gun person, but a guy I knew had one and was going to the local shooting canyon at the time.

I said sure.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My best advice...

Shoot a bunch of different guns and buy the one you are the most comfortable with, accurate with, and fits your needs.

Some people hate Glocks, others love them. Some people hate revolvers.. some love them.

I carry a Glock 27... but when I need something smaller and lighter, I carry a small J frame S&W 340pd hammerless. I pulled the 340PD out 3 times over 10 years in Miami, FL and it saved my ass.

So don't fall for the "buy a cool looking popular gun" just because people say so... buy what you are good with and what you enjoy.

You shoot a Desert Eagle for example.. the recoil will make you useless for a couple seconds... and if you miss you may kill some innocent person a half mile away through a wall.

Another great example for the range: I have an AR15, a series of rifles like Remmington 700 in .308, 30-06, ruger 22-250, etc.

But the most fun gun to shoot that is cheap and has no recoil that I let my 8 year old daughter shoot? Ruger 10-22 rifle.. you can get one for $170 new .. mod it out like crazy if you want (make it look like an assault rifle) and ammo is dirt cheap.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:L

Regards to the OP.

Other folks already gave the best advise. Shoot friends guns or find a place that rents them to you. So you can get a good feel for what you think is best for you.

It really is about individual choice and comfort level.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wife and I shooting the AR-15 at the range... even this gun which is fun to shoot it loud and after 40-50 rounds I am looking for the Ruger 10-22 just to plink with...

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have several guns. My favorite is the simple .22 semi-auto long rifle and a .22 pistol. Both are very cheap to own, maintain and operate.

You can buy a box of 500 count for about the same as 20 count of .45's or 9mil. When my friends and I go shooting, I can burn through a few hundered rounds and it doesn't cost much at all.

Run 300 rounds through a 9 mil, my head hurts and I've dropped over $100 dollars.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The biggest thing you need to answer for yourself is what are you going to use it for? How much can you spend? Is ammo cost a factor? Conceal carry? All of that goes into what fits you best.

For instance, 1911s are great handguns and extremely fun to own and shoot. But they're large and .45 ammo is pretty darn expensive.

Most people generally get Glocks for their first handgun, which come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, and you could get something like a 9mm which is far cheaper to shoot than a .45.

But if you strictly only want it to shoot at ranges as cheap as possible, and don't really care about using it as a defense firearm, something like a Ruger SR22 would be great.

Also, who hates shooting clays with a shotgun? That's some fun stuff right there. Although, I like doing it with a 20g so I don't blow out my shoulder.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"something like a Ruger SR22 would be great"

That's a very nice, almost zero maintenance pistol.

SLSKOW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said they were practical, they are just fun as hell to shoot. The only time I shoot mine is when I am going out to the country to shoot. I carry a glock or a .22 pistol in my vehicle at all times.

LvilleSooner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Driaz - pistols available to rent - borrow from your neighbor if he's generous to offer - find something that fits you

SEC - You didn't say WHY you wanted to buy a pistol?

Jonvi - simple .22 semi-auto long rifle and a .22 pistol. Both are very cheap to own, maintain and operate.

These are all great responses & questions to ask.

So many firearms to choose from – all serving a specific purpose and use.

Me, I’m a Revolver Man myself. For Home protection – I’ve got SW model 19, 357 – and a Taurus 44 cal, 5 shot.

But if you want to shoot for fun & improve your accuracy - I’m gonna go with Jonvi and some of the others on this one. You can’t go wrong with the 22 Cal. I’ve got a Ruger Super Single Six with changeable cylinders for regular .22 or Maxie .22 . Ammo is cheap – fun to shoot – not too loud – and you can shoot all day.

If you go shooting a higher caliber firearm - you’ll go broke & you’ll get tired of shooting real soon. Plus, shells are hard to find these days.

BTW - Jonvi - I'm diggin your new AV bro.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Driaz - pistols available to rent - borrow from your neighbor if he's generous to offer - find something that fits you

SEC - You didn't say WHY you wanted to buy a pistol?

Jonvi - simple .22 semi-auto long rifle and a .22 pistol. Both are very cheap to own, maintain and operate.

These are all great responses & questions to ask.

So many firearms to choose from – all serving a specific purpose and use.

Me, I’m a Revolver Man myself. For Home protection – I’ve got SW model 19, 357 – and a Taurus 44 cal, 5 shot.

But if you want to shoot for fun & improve your accuracy - I’m gonna go with Jonvi and some of the others on this one. You can’t go wrong with the 22 Cal. I’ve got a Ruger Super Single Six with changeable cylinders for regular .22 or Maxie .22 . Ammo is cheap – fun to shoot – not too loud – and you can shoot all day.

If you go shooting a higher caliber firearm - you’ll go broke & you’ll get tired of shooting real soon. Plus, shells are hard to find these days.

9mm isn't too pricy if you can find it. You can easily, 6 months ago, get 50 round for $10. Pretty cheap to shoot still. It's no 22LR but it's still pretty cheap and has a pretty nice "bang".

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

How many times have you guys clicked people's avatars trying to see the larger version only to be disappointed?

I find myself still doing that all the time with those kind of avatars...

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm biased but I would either go with a Glock or something from the S&W M&P line. If you ae comfortable with no external safety go with the Glock. If you really like the idea on that external safety try the M&P. Personally I think the ergonomics are a little better on the M&P but think the proven reliability of the Glock gives you better piece of mind. Not that the M&P has a bad rep, but Glock has been proven time and again in the field and in controlled tests.

*Caliber will be something you'll have to consider too. I'd just start with your standard 9mm as its pretty cheap.