• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Instant Replay

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like others, I'm learning about the instant replay rules. I have learned that starting with the 7th inning, managers can no longer use a challenge. Seems like that defeats the reason for having instant replay in the first place.

Umpires have the ability to initiate a review from the 7th inning on, but that just puts the umpires' decision making impact back in the forefront, which I thought instant replay was supposed to temper when it comes to controversial calls.

Still not sold on the efficacy of instant replay. The game went along pretty well for over a hundred years and all these innovations seem to be designed to try and fix something that wasn't really broken in the first place.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like others, I'm learning about the instant replay rules. I have learned that starting with the 7th inning, managers can no longer use a challenge. Seems like that defeats the reason for having instant replay in the first place.

Umpires have the ability to initiate a review from the 7th inning on, but that just puts the umpires' decision making impact back in the forefront, which I thought instant replay was supposed to temper when it comes to controversial calls.

Still not sold on the efficacy of instant replay. The game went along pretty well for over a hundred years and all these innovations seem to be designed to try and fix something that wasn't really broken in the first place.

That doesn't sound right. Can you provide your source?

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard it discussed during the Angels/Cubs game yesterday. I'm sure the official guidelines exist somewhere, so I'll take a look.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule is that the manager gets one challenge per game and can use a second challenge if the first challenge is upheld. Umpires can initiate a review themselves after completion of the 6th inning.

We shall see how it all works. I guess the key is to get the calls right.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule is that the manager gets one challenge per game and can use a second challenge if the first challenge is upheld. Umpires can initiate a review themselves after completion of the 6th inning.

That's what I thought. So nothing about the Manager not being able to challenge after the 7th inning.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I thought. So nothing about the Manager not being able to challenge after the 7th inning.

No, which makes sense.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, which makes sense.

Today, I heard Charlie Steiner say something about no managers challenges after the 6th inning. I really hope that he's wrong.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a little confusing. I heard the same thing in a game which led to my first post. When I read the Replay Rules there was no mention of a manager not being able to make a post after the 6th inning.

I guess we will find out.

Old1949

Geriatric Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to this article, managers have the right to challenge a call during the first six innings. During the last three innings, the umpires decide if a play should be reviewed. I don't like it, but that's what it says.

Old1949

Geriatric Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I just saw another source that says after the 6th inning the umpires or the managers can initiate a review, so who knows. Sure is a lot of confusion about this, and as Silas said, we'll eventually find out.