• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

In the history of the NFL

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sonny Jurgensen was 3-1 in 1974 at the age of 40.
Matt Hassellbeck was 5-3
Brett Favre was 12-4 but didn't turn 40 until October.

There are only 8 QBs that have won more than 2 games at year 40 or older.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about that. Today's player has all the medicinal/nutritional/training advancements that previous eras did not. The QB position is protected like never before. The great QB's could almost always play into their late 30's and a lot of them were still very effective at that age. I can see Brady playing at a high level for a few more years....same as Brees. Manning probably would but had the neck injury which is more of fluke type injury rather than advanced age catching up with him.

I don't think we'll see much change in spite of those all be good points....the way of the league right now...kids are starting much earlier, the contracts are such that if you don't get that spark during the rookie contract, teams are willing to keep the search moving. Just look at DEN if they don't get anything from

I'd be curious to see how many drafted QBs actually get a second contract with the team that drafted them.

If you ask me if Luck will be playing at 35...probably...38? no.

Brady is a freak and Brees is a wonder boy...at some point it's not about the money. Brady being on a team capable of winning all...I think that helps.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we'll see much change in spite of those all be good points....the way of the league right now...kids are starting much earlier, the contracts are such that if you don't get that spark during the rookie contract, teams are willing to keep the search moving. Just look at DEN if they don't get anything from

I'd be curious to see how many drafted QBs actually get a second contract with the team that drafted them.

Brady is a freak and Brees is a wonder boy...at some point it's not about the money. Brady being on a team capable of winning all...I think that helps.

As long as the rules keep favouring the offense and especially QB's, the position in general will see their careers extended. The scrubs will fall out of favour faster because of the point you make, but that's not a 'father time' issue...that is just a lack of talent issue.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

true about the money, too many teams are handicapping themselves by giving their franchise QB crazy money. Stafford and Carr??? Now what happens when Rodgers contract comes up, he will want 30 mill a year. Glad Brady took some paycuts to help build a better team and obviously his wife making coin helps but when is enough enough. I remember in baseball when AROD left Seattle, signs a 240mill contract with Texas, they win ugguts and then signs a $275 mill contract with NY and disappears in the playoffs except for 1 year

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you play like youre 50, does that make you the first 50 year old QB in the league?

220px-Eli_Manning_US_govt.jpg

LOL, but hey, at least that 50 year old has a couple Super-Bowls!!!

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's never , not once, been a QB start his season at age 40+ who won more games than he lost after that. That's pretty insane. Clearly not a ton of guys starting at age 40+ but to NEVER have one guy win more than he lost after that is crazy . Does that give pause to teams starting older QBS? Or no? Even guys who aren't quite 40 yet but who we all think can play a few more years. What says the board ?
Established quarterbacks are rare. Favre made the Vikings a serious threat until New Orleans took a bunch of cheap shots on him. As long as the game favors passers through the schemes and officiating I think their careers will continue to be longer than they used to be.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true about the money, too many teams are handicapping themselves by giving their franchise QB crazy money. Stafford and Carr??? Now what happens when Rodgers contract comes up, he will want 30 mill a year. Glad Brady took some paycuts to help build a better team and obviously his wife making coin helps but when is enough enough. I remember in baseball when AROD left Seattle, signs a 240mill contract with Texas, they win ugguts and then signs a $275 mill contract with NY and disappears in the playoffs except for 1 year

Same with Ben with his last deal, but I think Brady has done it more often in terms of leaving some money on the table.

Whereas Brees seemingly leaves crumbs.

Even with a $160 mil cap...when one player makes north of $20 mil per, you must get contribution from guys that don't make near that kind of money to win consistently. It's a maddening balancing act...look at a team like SEA...heavily invested on DEF, and now QB, TE so they don't have the cap space to plug in a LT spot with a starting caliber player so they draft and hope to coach them up or get lucky. Or get a mid level stop gap player in FA.

Generally speaking I don't really care that much about how much players make...if an owner decided they were willing to sign the checks, it's because they could afford to sign the checks.

In capped league it matters and if you don't scream bloody murder when your team blows it, (Suh in MIA) they might do it again.