• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm thinking about building an AR 15

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is something I've been thinking about for a couple of years now, but have yet to d it.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined, have owned guns for years and have the time and money to spare. I know I could probably buy one for less than what I'd spend on building one, but learning how they work would be kinda cool. Plus there's really nothing like using something you built with your own two hands.

Anyone else build their own stuff? Any advice?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did a lower build and then ordered a complete upper from PalmettoStateArmory.com. I loved it -- I just didn't want to mess around with properly putting on a barrel because that's a bit more complicated and requires some more expensive tools to complete. Once you have the tools for the lower, I actually think you could build one cheaper than you could buy one but getting the tools will cost you a hundred bucks or so up front.

I thought it was super fun and it's much more enjoyable to shoot something you created. In addition, like you said, it really allows you to understand the gun. If you want to change something out or add something, it's easier because you put the thing together.

My only advise it to watch some videos first on the process, and then order decent tools.

Erie Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,827.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lowers are easy to slap together, I've done several. I've done three uppers, as long has you have the barrel wrench, its not too bad. It can get tricky using the torque wrench and barrel wrench. It doesn't always stay in the cut out well. Maybe I just have a crappy barrel wrench, but is almost like you need three hands. The process is pretty rewarding, I say go for it.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is something I've been thinking about for a couple of years now, but have yet to d it.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined, have owned guns for years and have the time and money to spare. I know I could probably buy one for less than what I'd spend on building one, but learning how they work would be kinda cool. Plus there's really nothing like using something you built with your own two hands.

Anyone else build their own stuff? Any advice?
Progress? Have you decided on anything? I always like seeing new AR builds because there's a million different ways they can come together.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing yet. Still researching things to figure out what it is I want. So much to learn, this could take a while. But, I want to get it right.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've decided that I lack the gunsmithing skills required to do this build. I'm now looking at a couple of entry level AR's, something to get familiar with the platform. I've seen the M&P15 and really like it, and the price point. Also, I've been a Ruger fan for years and their AR-556 comes in a little under the price of the M&P.

Any of you folks have any experience with these? Positive /negative feedback appreciated.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've decided that I lack the gunsmithing skills required to do this build. I'm now looking at a couple of entry level AR's, something to get familiar with the platform. I've seen the M&P15 and really like it, and the price point. Also, I've been a Ruger fan for years and their AR-556 comes in a little under the price of the M&P.

Any of you folks have any experience with these? Positive /negative feedback appreciated.
I've shot the M&P and it's probably the best quality for the price point. I liked it.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It really isn't that hard. Watch a couple youtube videos on lower builds and you'll be set. There's not much you can mess up. Truly, especially if you just buy a completed upper (which you can just order online and have shipped to your house).

If you're going the cheaper AR route, I'd recommend the M&P sport. The Ruger hasn't been out as long but from what I hear, their lower end is a nice competitor to the M&P sport.

But seriously, watch this video and tell me you couldn't do this:

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, after looking into it I'm pretty sure anyone could do it Tom. I have two lowers and plan on doing it myself and I'm mechanically retarded.