• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

IIHF Makes A Public Apology Over Comments

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
COLOGNE, Germany — The International Ice Hockey Federation, responded publicly for the first time on Friday to a scathing attack two days ago by the IIHF’s chief spokesman on Canadian Olympic hero Sidney Crosby and other top international players, acknowledging that the commentary was “inappropriate.”

“There are many things in the world of hockey that should be discussed, but this column was an inappropriate way to do it, and the timing was also bad,” IIHF president Rene Fasel said in a statement published on the IIHF website.

“I sympathize with the players who were singled out in the column and I understand the frustration of the club owners who felt that their players received unjustified criticism.”

The column, posted on the federation’s website Wednesday and left on even after Fasel personally apologized Thursday to Crosby’s agent, has been removed.

Fasel described the lengthy column by IIHF communications director Szymon Szemberg, who quoted veterans of international hockey in his lengthy column, as “an isolated emotional outburst.”

Szemberg accused North American and European star players on Wednesday of selfishly turning their backs on their teammates, fans and national programs by not participating in the world hockey championship taking place here.

Szemberg, who has not responded to requests for comment from Canwest News Service since Thursday, also questioned the legitimacy of reasons given by players for not showing up.

The comments infuriated players, National Hockey League president Gary Bettman and NHL team owners, raising speculation that it may become harder for players to get permission to play in the annual tournament.

Canadian captain Ray Whitney said the column reflects ignorance of the difficulty facing NHL players such as Crosby who go through a long season, gruelling playoffs, and in 2010 the intense Olympic Games.

IIHF publicly apologizes for player criticism

3056265.bin

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Burke has suggested that the World Hockey Championships should not be held in an Olympics year and I agree with him. We just had a tourney to determine the champions of hockey in February, do we really need another one three months later?

Last edited by a moderator:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Brian Burke has suggested that the World Hockey Championships should not be held in an Olympics year and I agree with him. We just had a tourney to determine the champions of hockey in February, do we really need another one three months later?

seems pretty stupid that it is held during the Stanley Cup playoffs in any event.
that's why no one in North America will ever give a shit about the IIHF WHC.

I wouldn't have a problem if Canada and the US did not send teams in Olympic years.
I'm also OK if they do, as long as we all understand that we should be happy with a "participation ribbon" in those years.
That gives an opportunity for those who don't normally get the invite to wear the red.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmy_the_Tongue

Walks Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see what the big deal is....Americans..and Canadians, I suppose...just don't care about the Worlds like the Euros do.....no big deal...

Squatchito

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If they are so concerned about player participation move the tournament to July. I don't think they should expect great participation in the middle of the playoffs during an Olympic year.