• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If we don't ride these guys straight into Atlanta, I'll lose all respect

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think UGA has all the tools to do it this year, but couldn't the same have been said about most their teams since the Matthew Stafford years? Yet they literally haven't even been ranked high enough to make it to the national title game. (I'm assuming that is what is meant by the "not even sniffed it" comment)
As WhiteMamba pointed out, Georgia came within a couple of yards of beating Alabama in the SEC championship game in 2012, which would have put them into the National Championship game against Notre Dame. I would consider that close enough to sniff.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As WhiteMamba pointed out, Georgia came within a couple of yards of beating Alabama in the SEC championship game in 2012, which would have put them into the National Championship game against Notre Dame. I would consider that close enough to sniff.

You mean the 2012 UGA team that lost by 4 TD's to USCe during the regular season?

Why would Georgia make it over Oregon that year? Georgia wasn't even in the top 3 at season's end, were they? (I only argue this because that is what I constantly hear from UGA fans down here in Georgia.)

The fact of the matter is that UGA hasn't won a national title OR been in a NC game in over 30 years. Although it wouldn't shock me to see it happen this year (but I've been saying that since I started following them in 2008)

Last edited by a moderator:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean the 2012 UGA team that lost by 4 TD's to USCe during the regular season?

Why would Georgia make it over Oregon that year? Georgia wasn't even in the top 3 at season's end, were they? (I only argue this because that is what I constantly hear from UGA fans down here in Georgia.)

The fact of the matter is that UGA hasn't won a national title OR been in a NC game in over 30 years. Although it wouldn't shock me to see it happen this year (but I've been saying that since I started following them in 2008)

Oh, that was a beautiful day my friend...beautiful day...

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was the last team to win a national title after having not even been in a national title game in over 30 years? I'm sure there are some, but it has to be pretty rare.

Not as rare as you would think:

UTn - 47 years
Pitt - 39 years
Michigan - 49 years
Auburn - 53 years
LSU - 45 years
UTx - 35 years
tOSU - 34 years
USC - 25 years
ND last won a NC 25 years ago

Those are some pretty good schools with wide gaps between NCs.

Then you have the Florida schools that have won many lately, but didn't win their first ones until recently:

Miami - 83
FSU - 93
UF - 96

I'm pleased with my Dawgs, but I recognize that we are 1 game in and you have to have a lot line up right to get to the tourney.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I re-read your post ... those are gaps between NCs ... not sure if they were in NC games in between, although that only could have happened in the BCS era as there weren't NC games prior. Still, we aren't the only program to be in a drought like that.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was obvious that the winner of the SECCG that year was going to the NC. No one was arguing otherwise.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, that was a beautiful day my friend...beautiful day...
Worse loss I can remember. You guys must have been loving it. I am kind of thinking that the TAMU game the other day was the flipside of that win. Guessing you guys felt as miserable as we did that night.

taka85

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was obvious that the winner of the SECCG that year was going to the NC. No one was arguing otherwise.

i'll argue otherwise.

georgia sucks. it wasn't even an undefeated georgia team.

i can't wait till georgia gets brought back down to earth, even with their easy conference slate.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'll argue otherwise.

georgia sucks. it wasn't even an undefeated georgia team.

i can't wait till georgia gets brought back down to earth, even with their easy conference slate.

Shouldn't you be off programming Finebaum into speed dial on your phone?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, kind of like in 2007 how UGA was curbstomped by an average Tennessee team and got beat by an awful SCAR team in Athens, but yet UGA fans (mainly the UGA fans on ESPN) still thought UGA should have played for the BCS title that year :L

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, kind of like in 2007 how UGA was curbstomped by an average Tennessee team and got beat by an awful SCAR team in Athens, but yet UGA fans (mainly the UGA fans on ESPN) still thought UGA should have played for the BCS title that year :L
Most UGa fans on CBS at the time weren't of that ilk. I wasn't. That said, here are a couple thoughts on that year that put things into context:

- The early loss to UT cost us getting to the CCG, but it was pretty consistently thought that UGa was playing about as good football as anyone else by the end of the year. We were hoping that the Rose Bowl might break from tradition in that tOSU was in the NC game. Didn't happen. We curb-stomped the everliving shit out of "undefeated" Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl.

- You have to remember that LSU got to the NC game with 2 losses - one of which was to frickin Kentucky - and that going into the Bowl season there were no undefeated teams, and only one 1 loss team:

1 Ohio State 11-1
2 LSU 11-2
3 Virginia Tech 11-2
4 Oklahoma 11-2
5 Georgia 10-2
6 Missouri 11-2
7 USC 10-2
8 Kansas 11-1
9 West Virginia 10-2

Having 2 losses that year wasn't necessarily what kept UGa from the SECCG or the NC game ... it was that we lost to UT who then won the tie breaker to go the SECCG game. At that time, no conference championship game, no NCG which made sense to me. There was no shame in 2 losses that year ... the NC had 2 losses, one to Kentucky.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gurley wasn't even 80% that game so idk why you even bring that up. He was injured the entire yr last year and was only 100% for the first few games

Yep I agree.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although you could argue Ameer was a bit handcuffed considering he didn't have the most explosive running QB in the nation next to him keeping Georgia's D honest when they were in shotgun.